View Full Version : Best waterproof epoxy?

basswipe
05-31-2008, 04:09 PM
I installed a handicap shower set up for my dad today:(.The little hanger for the hand shower came with screws but my dad doesn't want to use screws because he has one the plastic shower/tub and thinks it'll leak.I know better but I really don't need to be getting him upset at this time.At the moment its on there with the basic GE kitchen and bath silicone which I'm not fond of.

To make a long story short what's the best epoxy for both waterproofness and strength?West System maybe?

I'd wait till Monday and just ask someone at work but I'd like this taken care of asap.

spence
05-31-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure anything would stick all that well to a slick shower enclosure. I assume you cleaned the surface with alcohol?

But then again, this doesn't appear to be an item that needs to bear weight so there shouldn't be a safety issue.

-spence

basswipe
05-31-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure anything would stick all that well to a slick shower enclosure. I assume you cleaned the surface with alcohol?

But then again, this doesn't appear to be an item that needs to bear weight so there shouldn't be a safety issue.

-spence

I gave it a wipe with alcohol just because I'm sure there must've been some soap residue on there.It'll hold for now I imagine.

The hand shower weighs next to nothing.I just want something on there that I know will be permanent.When I'm up at Lowes tomorrow I'll browse through that section and see what they got.

spence
05-31-2008, 04:46 PM
After looking through my cabinet, the best thing I can think of would be Marine Goop. If you cut some scratches into the tub even better, but at that point you might as well just use the screws...

-spence

basswipe
05-31-2008, 04:50 PM
After looking through my cabinet, the best thing I can think of would be Marine Goop. If you cut some scratches into the tub even better, but at that point you might as well just use the screws...

-spence

Goop ain't a bad idea at all.I could scrath up the spot with some 80grit paper.

leptar
05-31-2008, 08:38 PM
2 sided tape(3M automotive grade)... also they sell a suction style catch that might be compatible with the hand shower head...

Basswipe, there is some Aquarium stuff at the moment that is escaping me... stuff is pissa... comes in a tube...

Nebe
05-31-2008, 09:17 PM
don't forget that epoxy hardens hard... so if your shower heats up whatever your gluing to the wall, and the wall and the thing your gluing have different coefficient of expansion rates, then the epoxy could crack. West System just came out with a flexible epoxy that is perfect for this... I would clean everything with acetone, scuff with 400 grit, clean with acetone again, and then use the flexible epoxy. Use some duct tape to hold the thing in place as it hardens. Any surface that the glue is going to be touching should be completely cleaned with acetone and immediately glued. oils from your fingers will screw it up so be cautious about that.

macojoe
05-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Whats better the Marine 5200??

The stuff is for under water use, doesn't mildew and glues for ever!! But it takes 3 days or so to harden up so if you did use it I would get Fast Cure.

basswipe
05-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys.

As you can see this is the kind of stuff that keeps me awake.

MotoXcowboy
06-01-2008, 09:31 PM
52 will probably work but i think the goop is better..stronger and dries alot faster..