View Full Version : Food for thought...

Jenn
10-19-2000, 09:46 PM
I know this may be a little strange but, you know how sometimes the oddest things become a cure?? For example, blood from horseshoe crabs used for dialasis, bacteria in sewage treatment, or mold (penicilin) for infection, etc. Really, who first thought to even TRY these things??!? Well I just read an interesting thing on some scientists who found and brought back to life 250 million year old bacteria that was "locked away" in salt crytals. This got me wondering....what if they could produce enough of this bacteria and one day it could be a cure for many of the "modern day" pollutants in our water, soil,and such???? :) Wouldn't that be cool???

Hey I know this may be a little far fetched, but who knows? Hey, it could be a (rare) but incredibly brilliant thought on my account, or just the few glasses of wine I have had........:D But isn't it a sweet dream??

JohnR
10-20-2000, 07:49 AM
If it would serve a good purpose and not destroy things. Kinda wonder if that bacteria should be back if it wasn't able to survive at one point. Or the bacteria from Mars grows into little green men }> ... It is crazy though how fast things are advancing. Not to get into a discussion of religion and morals and science and all, but these cloaning programs are amazing. People are beginning to believe that they can "Cloan" a human being now. As a matter of fact, one couple, I think from Texas, is wiling to pay for someone to cloan their baby that had unfortunately passed away at a very young age. As much as they are in pain, I still do not know if it is right to "create" another baby with the originals DNA and such...

Saltheart
10-20-2000, 09:07 AM
There is also the chance that that bacteria is extremely verulent and will wipe out all living things on the planet! I hope not but when playing with such things , good and bad posibilities abound.
The cloning thing is very interesting. My thought is that as long as the clones are viewed as and treated like naturally concieved humans , no problem. One of the scary concepts is that some rich guy somehwre keeps a dozen clones of himself in a stockyard like cattle simply to provide himself with spare parts as needed. That , to me , would be wrong.

schoolie monster
10-20-2000, 12:08 PM
Where's Mulder and Scully? I think the x-files did a few shows on unleashing million year old bacteria, organisms, etc. I think pretty much everyone died except, of course, our heroes. Kinda scary if you ask me.

That cloning stuff is pretty creepy across the board. I've heard proponents talk about solving food shortages, etc. One of the wonders of our diversity is all people, critters, and plantlife have differents immunities to disease, viruses, bacteria. Theoretically, each clone would have same strengths&weaknesses... one virus could wipe out all the clones. So what? Well, say you clone the perfect cow, or sheep, or wheat, or corn, or say, soldier... and society relies on these cloned organisms to function... wham, one simple virus that might only affect 2% of the normal population wipes out the whole clone population. Not cool.

And that baby thing... man, I have a child and I don't know how I might go on if anything ever happened to her.. but I think having another child may be a better solution then cloning the first unfortunate child.

Pretty deep stuff.

Jenn
10-20-2000, 06:02 PM
You guys sure know how to bring dark clouds to my sunny skies!!! See don't you get it??? I was in my perfect little dream world where the only things that these happy little bacterias could do were GOOD THINGS :) then you had to spoil my fun with this cloning shtuff!!! HA!HA!

Oh and by the way John, there are no such things as little green men from Mars, Santa Claus, or the Easter bunny. I am sorry to be the one to break that to you. hee,hee,hee }>

JohnR
10-23-2000, 01:57 PM
Now, I would be interested in the cloning of our beloved Striped Bass :-D, The 100 pound kind..

Jenn
10-23-2000, 07:54 PM
Yes, I suppose you could clone them...however you would still have to wait a VERY long time before it grew that size!!!! Hee, Hee!!