View Full Version : Let's get a better handle on where the fish are..

JohnR
10-30-2002, 09:05 AM
Obviously getting less & less fish talk these days, especially from north of Boston & from Boston Harbor / Cape Cod Bay, but who is still out there chasing fish?

I haven't been out in a week but still some schoolies to small keepers in the Narr Bay. Looknig to chase big gals this weekend.

BM is stubbornly silent on the Cape & Goose over in Wonderland - so where are the fish? No spots needed here just general observations on how this fish move is going...

:D

JeffH
10-30-2002, 09:21 AM
Last Thursday night I caught (1) 15lb striper and dropped two others the same size in the rocks adjacent to a breachway. Based on my trip last night I can comfirm they are not in CT. It was a beautiful night cold, light wind and a light surf but it was dead dead dead. The water was gin clear and I didn't see any bait or other signs of like for that matter. This has been the worst fall I have ever seen. We went from water that was too warm to water that is preatty darn cold in a week. Your going to get posts with the same old "the water is warm for this time of year so we should have big bass into December" well it never happens. The fall run happens in September and early October now and late October and early Novenber are hit and miss at best.

I'M DONE !!!!!!

Van
10-30-2002, 09:27 AM
John,

I'm done for the year. I'm gonna cover the boat
this weekend and go smelt fishing again.

I have not heard from any of my buddies in the Boston area either, I think they are done for the most part.

Or they are heading for the cape for some action.

Big Vern
10-30-2002, 09:55 AM
First of all, my office has a wonderful view of Boston Harbor, and I was just looking (well...more like staring) out the window watching birds work a school of something in the middle of the harbor right off the courthouse. It really makes me want to get back out there one more time, but I've hung it up after getting nothing but twinkies for two weeks. However, my old man's ride is still in the water, and I'm known to wet a line from time to time...

Anyway, I haven't heard much about the fish. My buddy on the North Shore who lives on the beach says the fishing's done up there as he hasn't seen a blitz blow through for a while. I know nothing about the Harbor other than what I just mentioned about the birds, and my Cape sources tell me that the occasional fish is still around, but overall it's really spotty, and you have to work hard for the good fish. Any further south, and I have not a clue.

MountainBreeze
10-30-2002, 10:02 AM
I agree w/ JeffH, "they are not in CT!" I went out often the last couple of weeks and NOTHIN'! Well, there have been a couple pulled that I know about, and they were both 30+lbs but, that is it. Not even any blues - which may sound good to some of you.

So... like Van, "I'm done for the year."

Good luck to those of you stickin' it out!

Tight lines,
Rob

JohnR
10-30-2002, 10:06 AM
Hey Jeff

Yo Don, we're nearly neighbors. I'm over on Federal St & High... No view of the harboe, just the hum of my floor's mechanical roon :rolleyes:

Big Vern
10-30-2002, 10:23 AM
John R...we are practically neighbors...I work on the corner of High and Pearl.

Mr. Sandman
10-30-2002, 10:29 AM
I think I am the only surfcaster on the vineyard now! I have not seen another guy on the beach in a week and a half and I go out about evey other night on average.
The tackle stores pretty much shut down a week after the derby.. They open now and then but I can't blame them for going hunting when you only get 2 guys all day that walk thru the door and don't buy anything and just come in to BS. I still can get eels though.
I can't complain about this year. The end of sept was some of the best surfcasting I have seen in years. It was really steady for a couple weeks. But I miss the shots of jumbos that (use-to) move thru in the late fall. I still have my fingers crossed and will re-spool this week in hopes they still do. Last night was OK, got a few keepers no jumbos...at least it wasn't dead like the other night. no blues last night! The water and air were both quite cold. Had to darn my neo glacier-gloves.
It was a beautiful night just to be out there.

bloocrab
10-30-2002, 10:39 AM
...Got some good news.

There are still some fish pushing through. I started early this morning in R.I....I took the walk, got into a couple of fish...and then at first light it only got better. Breaking fish, multiple schools - thank you mr. & mrs. seagullz or I would've walked right by em' :eek: Nothing incredibly Large, but lotta action <<mixed breeds>>.. I believe its just about done, these fish had there bags packed - and already had their plane tickets... THEY'RE LEAVING!! ..The weathers' not getting any better any time soon, so enjoy what little time you have left.

Tattoo, it workz...but you already knew that
:happy:

The preferred color of the morning~

bloocrab
10-30-2002, 10:46 AM
NO.....I ain't done yet :D

...enroute - back to mi casa, I drove by some different waters...more birds ;) more fish :p <<just blooos this time though>>

I wonder if they know a storm is brewing :confused: ;)

...by the way, IT WAS FREEEZING this morning!!!!:err: :err:

Ok.....go find the submarines..and you should still find some fish.

STEVE IN MASS
10-30-2002, 11:07 AM
A certain member here did okay in a boat off of BI a few days ago in rough water.....perhaps he'll chime in....;)

I am hoping they will hang around long enough for early next week......would be about time for a warm spell and a last push...."he hopefully thinks"....;)

Tattoo
10-30-2002, 11:43 AM
You gave it away with them rocks in the background! ;)

I thought there was supposed to be a fish hanging from that hunk o' wood?

Fisherwoman
10-30-2002, 11:49 AM
Went to the cape last night for another all nighter, Hit balston & Sandwich. All I can say is the weather man SUCKS!!!! Long drive for about 20-25 mph wind, got the skunk. Fished Balston last friday and caught a 20+ lber. I have heard from other boards and from some friends that they are still getting bass at the east end of the canal, blitzing up bigtime, but have not heard of anything over 37 inches. These fish have been here for over a week and a half, off and on.

The Haba does still have some bass around and there was a huge school of bass, bunker and macks busting up the end of last week in salem harbor, the week before they were in Rockport.

We went out last week on the boat, Caught bass up to keeper size, 1 small blue and cod, we are going to try and get out on Friday & Sunday, ( WIND PERMITTING) AAAHHHHHHH!!!! and see whats up. We will let ya know!!!!

schoolie monster
10-30-2002, 12:58 PM
As I intimated to a friend recently, I'm losing that internal debate on whether (or should I spell that weather) or not its worth going out or not.

Over the past several weeks, I've wanted to get out on a few occassions, but the weather and a long list of things I've ignored all summer/fall have caused me to stay in.

This weekend is looking horrendous. 40 degrees and rain saturday... around freezing on sunday. Doesn't sound promising.

Well, the nice thing about the small boat, I can trailer down to CT for some of those holdovers down there.

I think I fished so much this year, that I don't have the drive to get out there and fight the elements. Hopefully, we'll get a nice Indian Summer and get some time out there.

bloocrab
10-30-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Tattoo
..was supposed to be..

oH, bUt tHeRe wAS!!! :D - :happy: :happy: :happy: come in person and SEE for yo-self !! :p

...Originally posted by Tattoo
You gave it away with them rocks in the background!

PM me your guess. You may be ONE of the few who would. :cool:

Duke41
10-30-2002, 02:19 PM
I am going to fish the enterance to the Narrow River tommorow. We will see if the linesiders have split or not.

striperswiper
10-30-2002, 04:40 PM
Duke,

my brother just stopped by to show me the bass he caught at the mouth of the river, several bass were caught up to 36"-he brought one home for a friend. They were chasing "adult" pogies no peanuts... good luck tomorrow

Marcus
10-30-2002, 06:21 PM
on the way down here we will be sure tosend the biguns back next spring k

here is the current location:
http://www.watershedradio.org/august2001/images/MODIS17_md.jpg

Duke41
10-30-2002, 07:11 PM
thanks striperswiper, look forward to this my last day on the water. boo-hoo. where did the sun go?:(

FishTales
10-30-2002, 07:33 PM
TRY Here :bo: :bo: :bo:

JohnR
10-30-2002, 08:45 PM
Comorant Point - Uhhh, oops, hush...

I'm sorry :eek:

FishTales
10-30-2002, 09:18 PM
Try Again !!! :smash: :smash: :smash:

Jamie M
10-31-2002, 07:53 AM
Earlier this week, I took a day off, and hit Fresh Pond Rock by 4:30 AM. I'd fish a little, and walk west a little. Soon, the sun was up, I was almost at Quonny Breachway, and I had a 1-pound bluefish for my trouble. I then hit the breachway, and stopped at Watch Hill Light for an hour or so. Nothing, although there were some schools of albacore around Watch Hill Light.

We stopped in at Weekapaug B&T, and I was lucky enough to meet Don, who seemed like a really nice guy. He mentioned that he has been doing pretty well, so the stripers are still around.

Hoping to hit it hard one day this weekend.

JohnR
10-31-2002, 08:09 AM
Try Again !!!

Ok, err, ummm :wall: :wall: :rollem: :doh: , maybe: Comorant Point (Or as the German's would say - Kommorant Punkt) :D

Fishpart
10-31-2002, 09:40 AM
No fish there.............

bloocrab
10-31-2002, 12:46 PM
..ok....another 'good' night.....much smaller fish, but a lot of fun and a lot of action..Clamdigger style :D

...I found these under the lights late last night...with fisheeeeez bustin all over em' ....

bloocrab
10-31-2002, 12:48 PM
Perfect size for ya - clam...;) <<I'm sure you have these up your way>>

...after catching fish after fish on a "mambo" minnow.....yes, I said mambo minnow :D....I took off one of the trebbles and BANG!! ...starting catching the kitchen sink

bloocrab
10-31-2002, 12:51 PM
..even got loads of these on bunker last night....

;) The New England "TARPON".....:D

Fishpart
10-31-2002, 01:05 PM
Bloo,
Throw a hook in that baby and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :D

Clammer
10-31-2002, 01:28 PM
bloo, baits gone ,fish gone I,ll go anywhere to catch fish [schoolies] just need a invite;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Basstime
10-31-2002, 04:18 PM
digger,
I'm going south Sat. afternoon and probably Sun. morning or afternoon. Let me know if your interested. TK

FishTales
10-31-2002, 06:42 PM
:confused: :laughs: :smash: sounds like , begins with ( N )

Clammer
10-31-2002, 06:59 PM
Narrow river

Yea TIm I<m good for that if I can,t do Block
flat calm this afternoon,waited to hear about a closing 1st 1pm ,then 4pm, then 6pm ,south main st @##$%%, 10 of six the attorney came out and said no go ,maybe tomorrow at 1pm

Saturday i have one at either 11or 12 ???????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

JohnR
10-31-2002, 08:21 PM
OK Fishtales, I'm gonna let you off the hook. The north side of the Narrow River Inlet is called Commorant Point, sout side is where the Dunes club is... ;)

I regret to say that I have not been to either yet this year...

FishTales
10-31-2002, 08:28 PM
My fault . Learn something every day:smash:

JohnR
10-31-2002, 08:34 PM
No prob... I just wish I had hit the place this year, too many spots, too little time...

Nice new avatar pic... Nantucket Sleigh ride, eh?

FishTales
10-31-2002, 08:37 PM
Imagine what that was like ! Chasing Moby #^&#^&#^&#^& :cool:

Bill L
11-01-2002, 10:32 AM
My week in review: Hit the beach and rocks of eastern South County on a bunch of trips. Night tides drifting the outgoing has given up some bass, mostly shorts, a few keepers, nothing LARGE for me. Fewer blues around. Sunrises have been a pick of smaller fish, have not seen any school or bird activity that I would normally expect. I think there's good fishing yet to come.... :D

Basstime
11-01-2002, 08:22 PM
Sounds like you had one of those Should've, Would've, CAN'T closings today. I had something similar today. Had some business down in Westerly today. Did some shore patrol on the way back. Stopped at Charlestown Beach, Deep Hole, Pt Judith and Narr Beach. Wind was blowing like a "BI 10-15 mph". No time to fish, just quick checks. No birds, very, very few anglers. Things are looking up for Sat afternoon and Sun however. Let me know when your available. Email or leave message at office-ext18. TK:)