View Full Version : The Mosquito fleet is........

Flaptail
06-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Back in action. The head Mosquito, Professor Moriarty with one of many he took on his Spooks.

Flaptail
06-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Would help if I uploaded the picture.... duh.

Flaptail
06-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Boys at Brunch on the Beach, sandwiches always taste better when sitting on a deserted beach talking bass fishing with two friends, Saltfly and Prof. M.

Flaptail
06-09-2008, 03:52 PM
The fleet at rest and the object of our shallow water hunt cruising the flats.

Flaptail
06-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Another angle of the Mosquito fleet

BasicPatrick
06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Another target to follow...lol

Grapenuts
06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
is that Bob's porta-potty he's having lunch on

niko
06-09-2008, 04:47 PM
you always have cool pix

Cranium
06-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Now that looks like a great time. Love deserted low tide flats. When I was growing up, I did the same thing at browns bank and captain flats in plymouth harbor. I will volunteer for ballast or boat pushing. great pics.

Finatic
06-10-2008, 04:12 AM
That's called "Livin large"! You guys are the envy of many. Good hunting.

Rick Ackley
06-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Walk the flats around World's End area, cooling and so much fun.

fishonnelsons
06-10-2008, 09:36 AM
You guys ought to get some sponsor's and line up a new Sunday morning fishing show - and I'm serious!!!

saltfly
06-10-2008, 11:22 AM
is that Bob's porta-potty he's having lunch onIt's actually Steves bucket but what the heck"multi-tasking"!!What a great day buzzing around the bay.The fish were pretty finniky on the flies.But that spook was deadly on the bigger fish.the Honda ran all day and burned appx 3 gals or less.Watching the bass ball up pods of 2-3"sand eels from 100' away in 5ft. of gin clear water was just the balls.Great company,great weather,great fishing,nothing left to say.

MarshCappa
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm very jealous! Can I join you guys sometime with my skiff???????
Great shots! SWEET!

Adam_777
06-10-2008, 04:04 PM
That's called "Livin large"! You guys are the envy of many. Good hunting.

Thats what I'm saying.You guys got it good ! I was pulling a transmission out of a freightliner sleeper 10speed ,with pants and long sleeves today in the roasting heat.Looks like you guys have good times.Glad to see it.

Tagger
06-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Flap .. educate a shore fisher pleeez .. Are those like 14' aluminum skiffs with what horse motor ? Are there some brands better than others as far as Hull design ? whats it cost you to go out ... I thought boat fishing was out of my league.. I got islands in Boston Harbor too .. Mosquito Fleet ...:kewl:

Grapenuts
06-10-2008, 05:01 PM
You want to look for a starcraft 14'er...any motor 15-25 horse..gas one knee boot full all day of running around with a 25hp....plus they can be rowed if your motor goes poof....16'er's are to big for one guy to drag across the flat if you get stuck high an dry when the tide goes out...14' can cost[used] from say 1,200 to 3000. depends on how old or how much they are loaded up with goodies when you find them. carpeted floor,live well,side seats etc...light to trailer,dump in the water anywhere if you can get close enough..no boat ramp needed.

Tagger
06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
what about motors .. this stroke stuff ... 4 stroke ??? dose it matter on a motor that small ..

ProfessorM
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Nice pictures Steve. I hope you went again today. I was sweating in front of a machine today. It sucked for sure. I have spent so many days just like that one in the last 20 years I am truly spoiled. It is by far my favorite place in all the world and being able to get out during the week is always much more enjoyable. Not to rub it in but the fish we were on all day were so plentiful it was criminal. I had fun just watching them work. Poor sandeels.
Ed I will keep my eye open for one. Like said above you want a 14' deep V. A Mirrorcraft Deep Fisherman is a perfect ride. I have a 15hp but had a 9.9 for years. Last year I saw one on 6A that I thought about getting just for a back up as it was cheap money but it was gone the next week. Makes a great fluke fishing boat too and cheap too run and no big tow vehicle needed.

ProfessorM
06-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Personally I would go with a 2 stroke to keep the weight down but just my opinion. I rake a lot of sandeels and I got my boat high and dry, or just a few inches of water all the time so overall weight of boat is an issue from time to time. If you find one let me know and I will go check it out with you if you need help.

Slipknot
06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
cool pix Flap

ramps are crowed enough already

tagger, there is a 14 on my street for sale, has an old johnson on it but any motor will do, 2 stroke or 4, depends on what you want but like Paul said, the weight savings in the 2 strokes is good, more room in the boat for plugs

Tagger
06-11-2008, 03:25 AM
tagger, there is a 14 on my street for sale,

Thanks Slip ... Have to work on the wife for a while . Not that much money in the sock ..

Flaptail
06-11-2008, 03:52 AM
Eddy, my ride is a 39 year old Mirrocraft Deep-Fisherman with a 18 hp Nissan 2 stroke. The 2 strokes are lighter and when it comes to getting out of the way fast you cannot beat them for the hole shot out, start,zip and gone!

I bought my Nissan in 2003, up till then it was a 1973 25hp Johnson long shaft which needed retirement ( I still have it). I bought my Nissan from Doug Russel Marine in Worcester on RT 20. It was a leftover 2000 and still in the shrink wrapped shipping box. I paid 1631.00 dollars for it. Less than half of the 2000 sticker price. It has electric start and a pull cord. It runs like a charm. No problems.

I have fished two whole days this week on exactly 3.25 gallons on gas. That's 13.65 dollars of fuel. Caught fish on light tackle just shy of 30 pounds on ten pound braid in 3 feet of water and caught God only knows how many bass from 24 inches to 45 inches.

It's the only way to fly these days especially if you want to catch fish and not stand on the shore wishing. Of course it can get you to shore fishing that others cannot reach ( bird closures and exposed bars).

I am waiting for Karl to show up in one still, I know one of these days he is going to join the fleet. Thinking of having a Mosquito fleet "fish in" one of these weekends.:kewl:

Sea Dangles
06-11-2008, 08:01 AM
I got a Lund 16' last fall and it has been put through the paces already.It can handle 1-2 footers and it does well on fuel with a Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke. As has been mentioned, I don't have to rely on the fish being close.

BasicPatrick
06-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I guess you can add me to the growing list of mosquitos:bounce:14' Carolina Skiff DLX (the deep hull) with a 25 hp Nissan 4 Stroke. I am playing around with rigging etc but the first couple test runs were fun. Lookinng forward to seeing you guys out there.

Here she is...

Slipknot
06-11-2008, 07:26 PM
. Thinking of having a Mosquito fleet "fish in" one of these weekends.:kewl:

I'm in
let me know when

ProfessorM
06-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Nice Patrick. I will look for you through out the summer.

That Lund set up sounds sweet

Slipknot
06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
I've seen dangles rig, it is sweet.

Good boat Patrick, you are all set now

Sea Dangles
06-11-2008, 09:03 PM
I'd love to join you guys for some fishing some time. I will be getting a livewell installed on it soon so please don't frown on my pimped up tin buggy.

saltfly
06-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Well,well,well,My TIN CAN is going into "dry dock".went under it on the trailer to see why the rollers don't roll and adjust the bunks.that's the least of problems.looking at the hull :shocked:[1969]my marine tex/gluvett repair [5 years old] of a bunch holes has bubbled from inside water intrusion so it's scrape,grind,prime,and patch.I guess it's better finding it here than pissin round the bay and bail,bail,bail.

Flaptail
06-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Well,well,well,My TIN CAN is going into "dry dock".went under it on the trailer to see why the rollers don't roll and adjust the bunks.that's the least of problems.looking at the hull :shocked:[1969]my marine tex/gluvett repair [5 years old] of a bunch holes has bubbled from inside water intrusion so it's scrape,grind,prime,and patch.I guess it's better finding it here than pissin round the bay and bail,bail,bail.

Called ya this morning at 5:15 or so.

Skitterpop
06-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Very nice stuff Flaptail and Co.

I have noticed the quality of informative posts with photos for awhile now. Some you have to read between the lines but they are just great and I wanted to thank you Steve and all.

Lots and lots of those boats for sale in NH that have only seen fresh water :uhuh: ............. so boat,motor, and trailer have`nt been in the salt.

saltfly
06-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Called ya this morning at 5:15 or so.I was out walking in the woods with the dogs.found a small 3 point antler in my travels.How was it today?Took a ride to the Tip to drop off some flies after taking everything out of the CAN.Yanking the deck & motor in the morning.The Big City[hyannis] late morning to BJ's,marine store for TEX& Gluvit&primer.

Flaptail
06-14-2008, 03:42 AM
I was out walking in the woods with the dogs.found a small 3 point antler in my travels.How was it today?Took a ride to the Tip to drop off some flies after taking everything out of the CAN.Yanking the deck & motor in the morning.The Big City[hyannis] late morning to BJ's,marine store for TEX& Gluvit&primer.

very lumpy but very good.