View Full Version : Ugh! lost a big one... Advice sought

doktorfaustus77
06-11-2008, 11:11 PM
So tonight I was wading out in one of my favorite nightime spots. Not having much luck I decided to pack it in after one more cast closer to the main channel. So I'm reeling in really slow and my darter gets inhaled by a huge bass and its doing the whole washing machine splash at the top. It's peeling out line like a freight train running up current. Here I am smiling, happy as hell I took that last cast rewarded with a screaming drag then the dreaded slack and silence. I figured my knot failed and was expecting to see the little pig tail that is the sign of a poorly tied knot but when I reeld in I saw it was the braid that snapped, not at the leader but well above. I think the fish ran across this boulder field in the shallows and rubbed the line. Could this have been prevented with a heavier set up?

My current set up is an 8ft rod medium power, moderate fast action. 20lb power pro and 17lb flourocarbon leader, Cabo 40 reel. I have found my self tangling with bigger and bigger fish since I have changed my tactics this year. Do you think that this set up is too light to battle big fish in currents? Should I upgrade my line or rod?

Not sure what annoys me more the lost fish or the darter! Hope it lives with that plug in it's gullet

BigFish
06-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Sounds like you need a rod with some backbone. Something 9 to 10 feet and stout to keep the fishes head up and gain some control. I speak from experience....nothing worse than hookin' a slob and being under gunned!:bc: Other than that.....a good cry can do wonders.:(

nightfighter
06-12-2008, 04:59 AM
I would go up on the # of the Power Pro. 40-50# for me.
9' stick as Larry said to help in your current will drastically change the game for you.

BigFish
06-12-2008, 05:03 AM
I am a mono guy but Ross is right.....50 lb. PP. I like a 50 pound Fluro leader myself also. Others seem to think they are not needed but to each his own.

Slipknot
06-12-2008, 05:48 AM
yes
yes
and yes

20 lb power pro is for light tackle boat fishing IMO, too light. I doubt it breaks at 20 with any consistency.

if you are fishing current with that setup, you'll have a much harder time depending on your skill level.
get a bigger stick

davisd
06-12-2008, 06:04 AM
:sleeps:I am a mono guy too. They say braid and rocks don't mix I agree with everyone else just beef it up a little more. Good luck

fishaholic18
06-12-2008, 07:10 AM
So tonight I was wading out in one of my favorite nightime spots. Not having much luck I decided to pack it in after one more cast closer to the main channel. So I'm reeling in really slow and my darter gets inhaled by a huge bass and its doing the whole washing machine splash at the top. It's peeling out line like a freight train running up current. Here I am smiling, happy as hell I took that last cast rewarded with a screaming drag then the dreaded slack and silence. I figured my knot failed and was expecting to see the little pig tail that is the sign of a poorly tied knot but when I reeld in I saw it was the braid that snapped, not at the leader but well above. I think the fish ran across this boulder field in the shallows and rubbed the line. Could this have been prevented with a heavier set up?

My current set up is an 8ft rod medium power, moderate fast action. 20lb power pro and 17lb flourocarbon leader, Cabo 40 reel. I have found my self tangling with bigger and bigger fish since I have changed my tactics this year. Do you think that this set up is too light to battle big fish in currents? Should I upgrade my line or rod?

Not sure what annoys me more the lost fish or the darter! Hope it lives with that plug in it's gullet

You need a heavier rod like a Lami 120 1M or 121 3M, a bigger reel like a Cabo 50 or Shimano 8000, PowerPro 50 and a long leader 8' or so 40-60# test. This way you can tighten the drag enough to turn a good fish.

wheresmy50
06-12-2008, 07:16 AM
When you're fishing in current, you really need to upsize your gear from what would be acceptable on an open beach. IMHO 9-10 ft heavy action rod, 40-65 lb test (I use 65# Sufix braid), and appropriately sized hooks.

This will allow you to get into the 10-12lbs range for your drag.

hyefisherman2
06-12-2008, 07:19 AM
up your tackle!

my go to plugging combo is a beast and i never feel undergunned. im fishing 50lb sufix and 80lb fluro. leader around the rocks. with a lamiglas gsb 120 1m and a vs 250.

The Iceman 6
06-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Agree with all that was said. Def. would get a 9/10 ft. rod. The thing that sticks out to me is the 17lb fluro, if fishing by rocks would go 50 but realize that wasn't the breaking point. I personally hate PP and would switch to 30lb Fire but to each their own. Others swear by PP. Keep at it, next time you'll get her. We've all been there!

Ice

Mike P
06-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Next time, don't bring a butter knife to a gunfight :hs:

ThrowingTimber
06-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I'd say before you made any major purchases think back.. Did you get a solid hookset?

mrstriper
06-12-2008, 02:51 PM
positive hookset??...he lost the plug too!!!...beef up the pp and leader...(same spot, been there:lossinit:)

doktorfaustus77
06-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Just got a spool of 40lb power pro with some 40lb seaguar leader + a new yo zuri darter. Not fooling around tonight, armed to the teeth!! Was looking for a super strike darter but couldnt get one on cape in my area. New rod will have to wait...I'm going to upgrade my rod for the fall season as I don't have the $$$ now. Thanks for the support, hopefully I'll get into something again later on tonight.