View Full Version : Rod repair

Rick Ackley
06-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Didn't know where else to ask. I snapped my beloved ultralite freshwater spinning rod the other weekend. It is a Shimano and it's a hollow taper of something. I have found a perfectly matching inner section from an old fiberglass rod that's solid, and I do mean perfectly. I tried Duco Cement but it did not take. Should I using something special for this repair, or maybe an exopy? Rod has way to much sentimental value to toss aside.

Saltheart
06-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Sand inside both ends of the broken rods lighty and wipe with alchohol. Lightly sand the repair piece and also wash with alchohol.

Use a slow cure epoxy ( minimum 30 minute and longer is better) and apply it to the inside of the rod (both broken pieces) and the outside of the repair plug. Then put together. Let it cure well for a few days. Fill in the slight crack with the same epoxy and sand smooth and paint. If you want , you can wrap over it with A thread to make you feel more secure but its probably ok without the wrap.

Rick Ackley
06-26-2008, 06:29 AM
Ok, I tried the epoxy idea. it looked sound. let is set for three days. Sanded the joint smooth, cleaned the area, and was about to wrap the joint. Gave the section a quick flick to remove any dust, and joint failed again. Any suggestions other than shelving the rod.

Saltheart
06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
What epoxy did you use? If you used a good slow cure epoxy end everything fit well , then I don't know what else to tell you except maybe try it with a very tight overwrap with A thread before giving it a flip.

How long was the piece you put inside? It should extend at least six inches and preferably more (a foot each side is good) on both sides of the crack.

Sorry the repair didn't hold.

Rick Ackley
06-27-2008, 06:37 AM
The fix is about 4" long, and remember, this is a fresh water ultra lite. The whole rod is about 5 feet. The insert is fiberglass, and I sanded/scraped all the finish off it to make it fit both side as tight as possible, and still with the glue be able to snug them together. Guess I should try it again, and be tender with it until after the tite-wraps are finished. Thanks for the help. I'll keep ya posted.