View Full Version : PLOVER dEAD-INVESTIGATION ENSUES

Swimmer
06-17-2008, 11:23 AM
The article starts off by saying, "the post-mortem on the tiny bird was clinically graphic".

I didn't know how to copy the entire article to this site so I posted the link. Reading the article details just how serious some people take plover matters.

WWW.MVGAZETTE.COM/ARTICLE.PHP?16837

likwid
06-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Plover Found Dead; State Investigates
By MIKE SECCOMBE

The post-mortem report on the tiny bird was clinically graphic.

The chick was laterally compressed, with internal trauma to the right side, and hepatic, pulmonary and intestinal rupturing. The left eye contained sand grains adhered to the surface and compressed within, misshaping it. There was trauma to the left side of the brain and the pelvis was squashed out of alignment.

“The bird was otherwise in good condition, and results are consistent with the hypothesis that the chick died from being crushed,” the report said.

It was only a little bird, so some may think only a little tragedy.

But the chick was a baby piping plover, a protected species, designated threatened under both the federal and Massachusetts Endangered Species Acts in 1986. Only a couple of dozen pairs nest on Martha’s Vineyard each year, so it’s a big deal for people who care about conservation.

And it could be a big deal as well for the person who left a trail of footprints into the closed area around the plover’s nest on State Beach last week. The crushed bird was found in one of the footprints.

The law imposes fines of up to $25,000 for “taking a single plover adult, egg, or chick; these regulations include harassment in the form of disturbance, outright destruction, and major alterations of habitat.”

And stepping on a chick counts as a taking.

That is, of course, in the remote chance that the person who did it could be identified.

The chick was found dead at 9:10 a.m. last Tuesday by a staff member of the Mass Audubon Society’s coastal waterbird program, Stephanie Kelliher. The chick was within a 50-meter (roughly 150 foot) radius area enclosed with a symbolic fence and posted with warning signs.

The dead chick was found lying in what the Audubon report described as “a depression in the sand that resembled a footprint inside of the symbolic fencing just north of Big Bridge in Oak Bluffs on the ocean side of Joseph Sylvia State Beach.”

Sgt. Patrick Grady of the Massachusetts environmental police came to the scene. Dukes county manager Russell Smith also attended. United States Fish and Wildlife law enforcement was contacted.

But Becky Harris, director of the coastal waterbird program, said all the law enforcement people advised that there was not enough evidence to make a case.

She nonetheless sent the little body to a pathologist, Andrea Bogolmoni at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution for a necropsy and CT scan, because, as she said: “I haven’t come across an example before as clear cut as this — a chick in a footprint.”

And although she said it is frustrating to her, she agreed the chances of finding the person who did this are slim. “Very, very slim, and this probably happens more often than we know,” she said, adding:

“In the few cases that have gone to court we have to send the bodies to a lab in Oregon, and they decompose and you can’t get much.”

This time, too, they haven’t go much, but the society wanted to release the report and pictures anyway, in the hope that the death will at least serve the purpose of reinforcing in people’s minds the reason sections of beach get closed off at this time of year.

“Sadly,” said Ms. Harris, “a plover chick’s response to a threat is to crouch in the lowest spot it can find. Someone could step on one and not even know.”

Another thing people might not know either — you don’t have to step on a plover to be in trouble with the law. You can be fined just for being inside the closed area.

Pets are not permitted on State Beach or any other Massachusetts beach between April 1 and August 31. Fireworks are prohibited from April 1 until all chicks have fledged and left the nest. Kite flying is prohibited within 200 meters of nesting or territorial adult or unfledged juvenile piping plovers between April 1 and August 31.

These are not, as Mr. Smith the county manager points out, major inconveniences.

“I mean, we’re not talking about moving people out of their houses or anything,” he said.

He also issued a warning.

“The county manages the beach for the state Department of Conservation and Recreation, and . . . takes its stewardship of the land seriously,” he said. He continued:

“We are losing a species on the planet every 20 minutes. That rate is something on the order of 1,000 times the natural background.

“These are the times in which we live, and realizing the magnitude of what’s happening makes it clear we should do our little part here.

“Now, I’m not alleging any deliberate wrongdoing here. But we need to make it clear people are not allowed in the roped off areas.

“That beach has been used for 150 years, and during that time the birds have also been nesting there.

“We just have to make sure both interests are met. And it’s the county’s position that we protect the resource.”

BigFish
06-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I bet the "clinical examination" or "autopsy" cost about $25,000.00........funny.....you have to do an autopsy to determine the damn thing was stepped on???? Maybe the fact that it was found in a track of a foot print should have tipped them off?!?!?!:smash:

Are there any suspects? Maybe it was staged by a PETA actvist to throw the blame at the big, bad fishermen and get all access denied???:ss:

Oh...and they have to send the "corpus posthumus" to Oregon to be examined!!!!! Thats our tax dollars hard at work!!!!

likwid
06-17-2008, 11:36 AM
It was IN the enclosed area with FOOTPRINTS leading INTO the enclosed area.
So obviously someone went out of their way to kill it.

BigBo
06-17-2008, 11:37 AM
I love the sound of those tiny little bones getting crushed by truck tires. :smokin:

BigFish
06-17-2008, 11:38 AM
I read it...made the correction. My point was do they really need to go to the trouble???

numbskull
06-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Thoughts and prayers to the bird's family.

Rockport24
06-17-2008, 11:41 AM
hey, let's just be happy fishing line or hooks weren't found at the scene of the crime!

BigFish
06-17-2008, 11:42 AM
George.....exactly where were you on the night of June 11th???? Hmmmm????? Can you provide an alibi???:btu:

likwid
06-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Maybe it was staged by a PETA actvist to throw the blame at the big, bad fishermen and get all access denied???:ss:

And people wonder why fishermen get a bad rap. :doh:

With everyone throwing accusations around its no wonder nothing ever gets done.

BigFish
06-17-2008, 11:44 AM
And people wonder why fishermen get a bad rap. :doh:

With everyone throwing accusations around its no wonder nothing ever gets done.

Yeah! Its all my fault nothing gets done.:jester:

numbskull
06-17-2008, 11:45 AM
George.....exactly where were you on the night of June 11th???? Hmmmm????? Can you provide an alibi???:btu:

I'm too old to remember where I was last pm. But since the poor little critter didn't suffocate in a pile of shiit, I think we can rule out Sauerkraut, too.

BigFish
06-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I wonder if they took a plaster cast of the footprint? If its a 15+....it might be either Flaptail or myself??:hidin:

Blitzseeker
06-17-2008, 11:59 AM
As folks have noted in the past, one of these days they're going to find a dead plover in a seal sized depression and seal drag marks leading back to the sea....then they'll have a conundrum on their hands.

chief10
06-17-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm too old to remember where I was last pm. But since the poor little critter didn't suffocate in a pile of shiit, I think we can rule out Sauerkraut, too.

:rotf2: That's great!

DZ
06-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I think Stephanie Kelliher did it. If she's allowed in that area she has to be a suspect. Check her boots. I wonder how many of those chicks are killed by the people who monitor these areas?

DZ

EarnedStripes44
06-17-2008, 12:12 PM

:laugha:

likwid
06-17-2008, 12:31 PM
fundraiser?

Definitely, after that we'll do a fuel rush for multifuel government vehicles by liposuctioning some of our more portly members to provide them with the energy to patrol more often a la Earthrace. That should last them well after oil runs out. :hihi:

FishermanTim
06-17-2008, 12:46 PM
As folks have noted in the past, one of these days they're going to find a dead plover in a seal sized depression and seal drag marks leading back to the sea....then they'll have a conundrum on their hands.

And they'd still blame the fishermen for driving the seal up onto the beach to look for food or some other BS.

Next we'll have "CSI:Woods Hole"
or "The Plover-whisperer"

likwid
06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Want them to stop spending money on plovers?
Shut down the beaches to everyone!
Problem solved!

The bird nuts want beach access so they can watch the stupid things, so that kinda ruins the whole "peta/audubon wants to close it all %$%$%$%$ theory. Sorry. :(

Nebe
06-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Want them to stop spending money on plovers?
Shut down the beaches to everyone!
Problem solved!

The bird nuts want beach access so they can watch the stupid things, so that kinda ruins the whole "peta/audubon wants to close it all %$%$%$%$ theory. Sorry. :(

Kind of like the 'bunker bill' in RI.. kick out the net boats, so 'we' can have more access to the bunker. :hs:

chief10
06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
don't we protect these stupid birds so south americans can shoot them for sport?

likwid
06-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Kind of like the 'bunker bill' in RI.. kick out the net boats, so 'we' can have more access to the bunker. :hs:

Hey, nobody is gonna be happy with what the other wants so simply put, screw everyone!

Joe
06-17-2008, 01:18 PM
The people with their fingers on the buttons don't want fishermen.

Slipknot
06-17-2008, 01:31 PM
don't we protect these stupid birds so south americans can shoot them for sport?

no, Brazillians eat them for food.
pretty stupid saving them so a foreign country can eat them when they fly south in the winter.:hs:

chief10
06-17-2008, 01:34 PM
no, Brazillians eat them for food.
pretty stupid saving them so a foreign country can eat them when they fly south in the winter.:hs:

Isn't that like pissing in the wind.

There's gotta be some brazilians in OB:hidin:

2na
06-17-2008, 02:05 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA

tattoobob
06-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I know for a fact that the National fish and wildlife, the Marine fisheries and other groups watch these sites and all your dumb ass negative comments are noted. I keep in touch with them and if I want to know information or regulations I contact them. they always respond promptly and 9 out of 10 times they tell me they have been watching a thread on this or other sites.

also as a group it doesn't make look like we care about stewardship of the areas we want to access.

I know it is sore spot for most fisherman and beach goers but we need to be proactive not counteractive

chief10
06-17-2008, 02:17 PM
so these groups use useless threads like this one as research to support their cause? no wonder why the poor little critters don't have a chance.

tattoobob
06-17-2008, 02:27 PM
so these groups use useless threads like this one as research to support their cause? no wonder why the poor little critters don't have a chance.

Take it the way you want, but alot of these scientist's are fisherman like you and I.

Adam_777
06-17-2008, 02:50 PM
I've seen humans that were found dead with less details in a report.I could give a rats A55 about the damn pest we call plovers.Sorry if the truth hurts.

likwid
06-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I've seen humans that were found dead with less details in a report.I could give a rats A55 about the damn pest we call plovers.Sorry if the truth hurts.

Humans going into closed off areas, leaving their sh** behind, generally making a mess and a nuisance of themselves are far more of a pest.

tattoobob
06-17-2008, 03:05 PM

Really were? you have info on this?

vineyardblues
06-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Not that I care, but it's unlikely it was a fisherman because of the location (state beach)
But maybe they should call in CSI and check out pee samples for a 50yard's ,I am sure that's over both sides of the freaking highway .......And then lock down 1/2 the Island for DNA results :bl:

numbskull
06-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I know for a fact that the National fish and wildlife, the Marine fisheries and other groups watch these sites and all your dumb ass negative comments are noted.

DAMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! My file must weigh a ton!

likwid
06-17-2008, 03:25 PM
DAMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! My file must weigh a ton!

To be honest, I wouldn't put it past half the people on this site to go and do what someone did.

chief10
06-17-2008, 03:33 PM
it was probably some drunken sailor in ballerina outfit

likwid
06-17-2008, 03:35 PM

Thats only at Figawi.

vineyardblues
06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by tattoobob http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?p=598282#post598282)
I know for a fact that the National fish and wildlife, the Marine fisheries and other groups watch these sites and all your dumb ass negative comments are noted.

Bob, If they are reading this, I hope they sit up and take note: MOVE the little birds to a safe location!

I am not sure if they have been told this before :kewl:
Regards
VB

Adam_777
06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Really were? you have info on this?

Read the newspaper.It's a little bird that got squished on a beach.No real need for the details and fine print.

"Humans going into closed off areas, leaving their sh** behind, generally making a mess and a nuisance of themselves are far more of a pest."

Agreed 100 percent people suck worse than birds.Why can't we be exctinct?

likwid
06-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Read the newspaper.It's a little bird that got squished on a beach.No real need for the details and fine print.

So someone took some creative license to wake people up with a gory story. We have to listen to enough BS about people being blown up in markets in Baghdad.

Certainly wouldn't have to worry about the eradication of groundfish on Stellwagon now would we?

Slipknot
To be honest, I wouldn't put it past half the people on this site to go and do what someone did.

then I feel sorry for you and your low opinion of the human race.

Those groups ought to expect some sarcastic comments when they publish an article talking about an autopsy or necropsy or whatever it was about a frikking small bird when it was found in a footprint dead, obviously it is gonna have some broken bones etc. :rollem:
Naturally fishermen are going to make comments when they're frustrated by constant removal of access to the water. Maybe some of these members making comments actually do get involved to try and gain access in issues like beaches etc., I doubt anyone here would stomp on a plover nest on purpose.

The Dad Fisherman

Hey, Easy on the Sailors....

PNG
06-17-2008, 03:46 PM

Do I see a memorial plaque or better yet how's bout a bench with the little tikes name?

Adam_777
06-17-2008, 03:48 PM
So someone took some creative license to wake people up with a gory story. We have to listen to enough BS about people being blown up in markets in Baghdad.

Certainly wouldn't have to worry about the eradication of groundfish fish on Stellwagon now would we?

#1 Wrong.Your choice is to listen and watch!

#2 All depends who you are and what your relation to it is.I'd be more interested in that than I would a squished plover story.

likwid
06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I'd be more interested in that than I would a squished plover story.

Why? You like hearing about innocent people dying for stupid reasons?

Adam_777
06-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Why? You like hearing about innocent people dying for stupid reasons?

I was talking about the groundfish problem.If you are too then you lost me ?

Mr. Sandman
06-17-2008, 03:58 PM
The problem is when this happens they shut everything down...it is a PIA! I heard Last week a yahoo ran over a protective cage and now they shut the beach down at night.

These birds are a nightmare IMO. The whole world revolves around them.

likwid
06-17-2008, 04:01 PM
The problem is when this happens they shut everything down

Thats called "problem solved".

If people can't play nice and stay on their side of the line then its everyone to their corners.

Obviously people need to be treated like 5 year olds or sooner or later someone is going to screw it up for everyone.

Bigcat
06-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Kill the plovers, save the seals :bl:

Blitzseeker
06-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Ask any experienced ranger how they used to handle things back in the day, I have and here is the response.

If the birds were in an area near heavy truck or human traffic, they walk over with a shovel, scoop up the eggs and move them to a safer more out of the way location. No abandonment by momma and poppa birdies, birds were safer, beaches were not closed, happiness all around.

Sadly, in this day and age the common sense approach is illegal.

tattoobob
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Ask any experienced ranger how they used to handle things back in the day, I have and here is the response.

If the birds were in an area near heavy truck or human traffic, they walk over with a shovel, scoop up the eggs and move them to a safer more out of the way location. No abandonment by momma and poppa birdies, birds were safer, beaches were not closed, happiness all around.

Sadly, in this day and age the common sense approach is illegal.

And the only reason that this isn't happening now is the birders are stopping it. common sense is not in there agenda

likwid
06-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Have you ever tried to put a baby robin back in its nest?

The parents something like 75% to 90% of the time abandon it after its been tampered with. Same thing with plovers and the eggs/chicks.

Plum Crazy
06-17-2008, 04:38 PM
They should move them all to one place and lock it down tight.
Maybe they would return to that same place every year.
I think that the Plover has been given more than a fair chance to increase in numbers.
If they weren't made such a big deal of nobody would even give them a seconds thought.
I think they would do just fine with a few signs on the beach that say watch out for Plovers.
Things now are beyond extreme and slightly rediculous.
I can't believe they made such a big deal out of one dead chick.

derf
06-17-2008, 05:21 PM
imho , what will happen the squished bird will wind up as the martyr for the audobon cause ;to shut the beaches down completely ..that is what happened at hatteras . the only bird that was ever run over was run over by the park service !! but the pic is plastered all over as just a dead chic in tire tracks !!
the truth doesn't matter to those folks

Backbeach Jake
06-17-2008, 05:25 PM

We're working on THAT as hard as we can. Gaining on D-Day, too.

My money is on the Birdwatcher with the wafflestomper. Walking and gawking and never looking down. Could just have well stepped into a bear trap.

Jenn
06-17-2008, 05:32 PM
whether you would actually do something to ones of these birds or not is one thing but to openly post about squishing them gives onlookers a preconceived notion that fishermen are plover haters/killers.....

Perhaps if we were all a bit more responsible with our words we wouldnt get quite the bad rap we do!

Cranium
06-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Why is it all or nothing with the enviros. There must be a better solution. Last year at Duxbury beach. They kept the beach access limited until Sept. When asked about it a friend in HM's office said they wanted to keep the college kids working until they went back to school. Long beach was open as was others.

I agree that we fisherman are painted in a bad light when it comes to protecting birds. People need to realize that fishermen are on probably the first on the beach to spot a potential problem. Most fisherman are true stewards of the ocean. Like the rest of the population 10% give us a bad name.

Likwid, try giving some solutions instead of screaming "everyone into their corners" no more beach for you. I wish they would put this much effort and energy into feeding or employing the poor.

In mean time, I have put a call into Quincy MD, He is sending his boy, Sam to investigate.

Rob Rockcrawler
06-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Plovers are a PIA but they are cool birds that deserve some protection. Sure, i drop the "plovers, the other white meat" and other gems on occasions when talking to fishermen, and even people that are very much involved in birding. Its all in jest, like a lot of comments on this site. I cant see anyone on this site delibretly killing a plover. The problem with the plover issue and any other issue that brings passion is there is very little rational discussions/actions between the parties. Just like politics, which this is afterall, people go to the extremes.

Adam_777
06-17-2008, 09:30 PM
You guys REALLY think the Bird conservation people actively read this forum ?

Saltheart
06-18-2008, 12:04 AM

I don't believe anyone here , dispite the macho retoric , would intentionally hurt one of these birds. As soon as I read it I thought someone went into the area to take a leak , probably in the dark , and stepped on the poor bird. I'm not saying that excuses the excursion into the protected area but I am saying I do not think anyone here would really kill a plover intentionally , even if they do blame them for beach area closures.