View Full Version : Cicada noise???

Squid kids Dad
06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Went down South Cape Beach this morning with my son fishing..Only one blue...On the way back on rt 151 the friggin noise was un-belieable from the woods...The high picthed buzzing was almost deafening..Sounded like an alien ship was gonna attack...Any body else hear it?

GonnaCatchABig1
06-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Went down South Cape Beach this morning with my son fishing..Only one blue...On the way back on rt 151 the friggin noise was un-belieable from the woods...The high picthed buzzing was almost deafening..Sounded like an alien ship was gonna attack...Any body else hear it?

mmm the sound of summer. there arent too many here by the water.. half a mile inland though thats all you hear. probably my favorite noise as a child. it signaled the end of school. it's a bit cool for them to be buzzing today. (atleast here) usually only here them on 80plus days.

it's surprising with as loud as they are how impossible it is to see one. heard them every day of the summer my whole life and had never seen one till i was 21. it got blown into my window during a tropical storm. ugly things. i thought it might have come up from florida in the storm and finally got blown out onto my window. gigantic brightly colored bug. didnt know what it was till i looked it up.

OnTheLedge
06-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Where I'm from, Long Island, cicadas are everywhere and make a ton of noise. Not as many here in RI. My college buddy from Maine once visited my parents house and asked, "What is that buzzing sound?" Just the cicadas

"....Crickets and cicadas sing...a rare and different tune. Terrapin Station" -Grateful Dead

OnTheLedge
06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
it's surprising with as loud as they are how impossible it is to see one. heard them every day of the summer my whole life and had never seen one till i was 21. it got blown into my window during a tropical storm. ugly things. i thought it might have come up from florida in the storm and finally got blown out onto my window. gigantic brightly colored bug. didnt know what it was till i looked it up.

We used to see them a lot, mostly at the end of their life cycle before and after they die. We'd often see their dried up brown skin that they shed before the buzzing and flying stage.

GonnaCatchABig1
06-17-2008, 02:42 PM
as a kid i used to try and hunt them down if they sounded reachable. never even caught a glimpse of one. and we had tons back in the old neighborhood. maybe i was blind then too. :huh:

PNG
06-17-2008, 03:39 PM

I live off 151, hear it now. The critters were all over me at work today. Down my shirt^up my shorts:err:. One landed on my shoulder... I look at its beady red eyes, we have a stare down then he lets out that sound so I did it back he got scared and took off.

Backbeach Jake
06-17-2008, 05:30 PM
The next time PBS plays Ken Burns' " The Civil War" Listen closely and one of the background sounds under the narration is cicadas. Just thought I'd mention that. BTW, I grew up in Kentucky, and they were called "Jar Flys" there for their distinctive buzz.

johnny ducketts
06-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Saw my first one yesterday, picked him up by the wings and he was po'd man., what an ugly looking bug.

planter
06-17-2008, 07:45 PM
The neat thing about the Cicada is that they spend either 13 or 21 years underground before they emerge to sing and then they die. It's a long wait just to get a little.................

Squid kids Dad
06-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Saw my first one yesterday, picked him up by the wings and he was po'd man., what an ugly looking bug.

They were bouncing off the windshield today...:shocked:

Sea Flat
06-18-2008, 08:09 AM
I live off of Rte. 151 on Sam Turner Rd. which I have coined "cicada Mecca." I have at least 10,000 cecadas and/or molted shells in my yard. Not an exaggeration I swear! It has taken a while to get use to the noise. Unbelievable!!

Slammer223
06-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I think they sound like a phaser on Star Trek.

stiff tip
06-22-2008, 03:40 AM
only 2 more wks and its over. i live at johns pd . talk about loud.......every 17 yrs

trigga
06-22-2008, 08:08 AM
im off 151, johns pond area as well... none in my yard, but the noise is loud. i have guts splattered all over my car though, they are dumb flyers, fly right into you on 151.