View Full Version : Why LA lost

ProfessorM
06-18-2008, 07:31 PM
One reason I saw is they had several European players and IMO they have not a clue how to play defense. They are usually good offensive players but not very good on the defensive side and it hurt them for sure. P. Gasol is terrible on D. can you imagine what a Moses Malone would have done to him down low. He would foul him out in 10 minutes. He should be happy KG plays away from the post most of the time. The other 2 sharpshooters are probably 2 of the worst D players I have ever seen. Looked like a couple of matadors.

fishbones
06-18-2008, 10:24 PM
You hit the nail on the head, Professor. The Europeans are 1 dimensional players who can only spot up and shoot. The Celtics defense is quick and allowed them no room to get their shots up consistently. Odom could have made some noise inside with his size, but he seemed to be playing softer than I remember him in the few games I saw him play this year. Perkins was in foul trouble within the first few minutes and the Lakers had no one to take it to the basket agressively.

Clogston29
06-19-2008, 06:39 AM
one word, SOFT

slow eddie
06-19-2008, 08:45 AM
kobe is NOT jordan or even a small percentage of his game. he does not have the will to take the team and lift it to a higher leval. now if they can work out a trade with McHale and get al jefferson back, look out.

Mr. Krinkle
06-19-2008, 10:32 AM
The reason LA lost was the Celtic defense. Tom Thibodeau is a big reason why the Celtics were able to limit Kobe's offense. They kept switching on Kobe, not letting him get into a comfort zone. I have to admit, I was nervous when he hit 3 three's in the first quarter. I thought it was going to be one of those days.

The Celtics number one reason for the success this year was that their best players (the second big 3) bought into defense as their backbone. When your key player (KG) plays defense, hustles, and demands that other players play with the same intensity as he does, the team will be successful. It was a great season, and a long-time coming!

Mr. Krinkle
06-19-2008, 10:34 AM
one word, SOFT

definitely! and inconsistent. Lamar Odom can look like a top 20 player in the league on some nights, then totally $hit's the bed the next. I wonder if he'll even be there next year.

EarnedStripes44
06-19-2008, 10:53 AM
You guys are right about Lamar Odom. He has great handle and quicks for big man, he could be the point forward hybrid, but he is surprisingly average. He was one of the best high school players of his time. Odom & Kobe (among others) had some cooperation issues last season. Given that Kobe is no Jordan, Odom will never fill Scottie Pippen shoes. He couldnt even wear his socks.

ProfessorM
06-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Odom's problem is between his ears

Mr. Krinkle
06-19-2008, 09:31 PM
He lacks mental toughness. Phil Jackson challenges him publically, then he has a monster first quarter, then does his typical Lamar disappearing act.

Enough talk about LA.

How bout Rondo!!! I knew he was going to be a good pro when he was at Kentucky. He just needs to use the damn backboard more often!!!!! and take it hard to the rim.

Saltheart
06-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Yep , the D did it. I also think 5 good players playing as a team beats one star player every time. As far as the star Coby goes , I wouldn't trade pierce for Coby. Coby does not get my vote for MVP.

EarnedStripes44
06-25-2008, 08:16 AM
The Lakers thought when they knocked off San Antonio, the defending champs, they had it wrapped up, not to mention the celtics are a very good 3rd quarter team. Traditionally, the lakers have been the team to turn up the burners down the stretch, at least the lakers of the shaq years.