View Full Version : Another Reason To Hike The Price Of Gas!

BigFish
06-19-2008, 07:52 AM
On the news they said to expect the price of gas to spike at least .10 cents a gallon by July 4th due to the flooding in the midwest and its damage to corn crops thus affecting the production of ethynol!!! Man are they reaching now or what!!!:af: Any friggin' excuse they can find to justify the price of gas going through the roof!!!! :hs::doh::fury:

BigFish
06-19-2008, 07:54 AM
I have noticed the price of gas at my local station has remained unchanged at $3.97 for a week and a half now......unusual I thought? Just the calm before the next storm I guess!

The Dad Fisherman
06-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Don't forget the Oil Refineries in Nigeria that were just shut down because of an an Attack by Militants....that should be good for another $.25 a gallon :wall:

spence
06-19-2008, 08:57 AM
On the news they said to expect the price of gas to spike at least .10 cents a gallon by July 4th due to the flooding in the midwest and its damage to corn crops thus affecting the production of ethynol!!! Man are they reaching now or what!!!:af: Any friggin' excuse they can find to justify the price of gas going through the roof!!!! :hs::doh::fury:
I guess if supply and demand is an excuse? :huh:

-spence

BigFish
06-19-2008, 09:06 AM
C'mon Spence! You buy all these "excuses" everytime there is a hike? Hurricane Katrina.....the rigs close for a couple days and "BANG" gas prices go up a buck a gallon and never came back down it just kept going from there!?!?! Floods, fires, hurricanes, earthquakes.......how come these acts of nature never affected the price of gas before??? And the price never comes back down????? It just keeps going higher??? Introduce ethynol to the fuel to supposedly "keep prices down" and not only did the prices not go down.....they went up.....and the price of anything with corn in it went up.....and the price of wheat went up because farmers shifted to growing corn for ethynol????? What a scam!!! What a great country!!! WHAT A JOKE!

justplugit
06-19-2008, 09:12 AM
And it's not just oil either that's rising out of control.

Everybody is rasing their prices on everything, wether they need to or not ,shipping costs just an excuse.

Paid $9.99 for a container of silicone car wax that just a year ago was $5 and change. :(

BigFish
06-19-2008, 09:34 AM
You don't see the government raising the minimum wage? Or businesses or companies giving "cost of living" increases commensurate with the way the cost of living is going up so rapidly right now....as they them selves can't afford it!! In my opinion you have not seen the worst of this......wait until the unemployment rate skyrockets due to layoffs and businesses going under???

spence
06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Larry, I don't think you really understand how bad the corn crop is going to be this year. It's not just the floods, but there's been so much rain farmers haven't been able to plant or cultivate, and when they have the crops are growing like crap.

About a third of the corn crop goes to ethanol, which is used as an additive just about everywhere.

-spence

BigFish
06-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Spence....you are pretty quick!? THATS MY POINT!!! Take the ethynol out of the gas......it would solve alot of problems!!!! Not the least of which is the dependence on corn for fuel......never mind the dependence on fuel itself!!!!!!! It would also solve alot of mechanical/repair problems folks are having with their cars, boats, lawn mowers....anything powered by gasoline!!!!!

Mike P
06-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Methyl alcohol, or methanol, can oxygenate gas as well as ethyl alcohol.

You can make methanol from rotting garbage ;)

BigFish
06-19-2008, 11:48 AM
MikeP for President!:kewl:

Nebe
06-19-2008, 11:53 AM
If you ask me, this country needs more solar and wind power and we need more Nuke plants. From there, we all go electric with everything- cars, heat, etc...

o i l

Rockport24
06-19-2008, 12:12 PM
If you ask me, this country needs more solar and wind power and we need more Nuke plants. From there, we all go electric with everything- cars, heat, etc...

o i l

:claps:
Nebe for president!

GattaFish
06-19-2008, 12:14 PM
you can still fill up in the UAE for about $30...

BigFish
06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Is that for your 727 Tom!!:rotflmao:

hulkyj61
06-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Big oil abandoned the idea of using corn to fuel cars. It takes more enegery to produce the gas than it gives out. Ethanol from corn is a complete failure, but people dont realize that big oil still uses this as an excuse to jack the prices. Less than 10% of our gas is E85 ethanol, and you need a special car to burn it, therefore bad corn crops should have no effect on the price of gasoline, but it will because big oil is doing everything they can to make money before people finally realize we need new technology to fuel our planet.

Saltheart
06-20-2008, 02:27 AM
The equation is easy

current gas prices =past gas prices + record high oil company profits.

They can play shell games all they want but they can't hide the profits.

We are getting screwed.

Raven
07-01-2008, 07:09 AM
farmers in the mid west and elsewhere have over compensated for
the demand being placed upon corn for bio fuel production and have planted much more corn crops than EVER before.

what i don't understand is... Since algae produces a huge amount more bio fuel than corn in just a few weeks instead of 2 to 3 months
why it isn't being utilized more. :huh:

Joe
07-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Wait until they bomb Iran.

Raven
07-01-2008, 09:08 AM
as they took out an Iraq nuclear facility for the same reason.

Iran hasn't threatened to wipe out the US

they threatened to wipe out Israel

likwid
07-01-2008, 09:23 AM
they threatened to wipe out Israel

Hollow threats by a figurehead with no power.

Next?

Raven
07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
that Iran has already been digging 320,000 graves
for solders killed on the battlefield :lossinit:

likwid
07-01-2008, 09:43 AM
that Iran has already been digging 320,000 graves
for solders killed on the battlefield :lossinit:

Really? Where?

Joe
07-01-2008, 09:52 AM
It's not so much blustering by Ahminajad, he's a joke - the real power lies with the mullahs - everyone knows that.
It's an open secrect that we've been prepping targets inside Iran for a while.
A nuclear Iran is not a good thing, but the spike in oil prices after an attack is going to be a death knell to the U.S. economy.

likwid
07-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Let Iran play posturing games with Israel and do what they want and keep us out of it.

We're in a world of crap already and enough is enough.

Swimmer
07-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Larry, I don't think you really understand how bad the corn crop is going to be this year. It's not just the floods, but there's been so much rain farmers haven't been able to plant or cultivate, and when they have the crops are growing like crap.

About a third of the corn crop goes to ethanol, which is used as an additive just about everywhere.

-spence

I've read one report where farmers planted about 25 % more corn this year than last year so the hit isn't going to be nearly as bad as what makes for good stories on the 6 p.m. news.

Raven
07-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Really? Where?

Iran's parliament speaker, Ali Larijani, warned other countries against moves that would "cost them heavily." In comments that appeared in the semi-official Mehr news agency Sunday, an Iranian general said his troops were digging more than 320,000 graves to bury troops from any invading force with "the respect they deserve."

"Under the law of war and armed conflict, necessary preparations must be made for the burial of soldiers of aggressor nations," said Maj. Gen. Mirfaisal Baqerzadeh, an Iranian officer in charge of identifying soldiers missing in action

Raven
07-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I've read one report where farmers planted about 25 % more corn this year than last year so the hit isn't going to be nearly as bad as what makes for good stories on the 6 p.m. news.

utilizing corn for ethanol has already launched us into a world wide
food shortage...

the hit just won't be as large as originally predicted because the statistics didn't take into account the extra crops planted

Grapenuts
07-01-2008, 11:26 AM
watched a show the other night about how they get twice the juice [gals]out of stitch grass then they do corn for a filler in gas....lets see if this ever comes to lite....corn 650....stitch grass 1263.

FishermanTim
07-01-2008, 11:52 AM
watched a show the other night about how they get twice the juice [gals]out of stitch grass then they do corn for a filler in gas....lets see if this ever comes to lite....corn 650....stitch grass 1263.

Now let's see, if we keep the farmers growing a crop that produces FAR LESS useable feul product than stitch grass, we'll keep the profits rolling into our pockets. (big oil company)

Why try to improve fuel economy and alternative fuel sources/additives when you can keep the "sheep-like" public buying into the "corn-fuel" BS? What do you think would happen if someone suddenly discovered a way to turn something like urine into fuel? Or just plain rainwater? The big oil companies would either try to buy the technology and bury it, discredit the science, or destroy the discovery and it's creator.
We've created a monster, and unfortunately, we've let it run free for decades unchecked.

MAC
07-01-2008, 02:32 PM
It's the American way. Now the rest of the country will "bail em" out. They will do it the same way they did with longline boats.

UserRemoved1
07-01-2008, 02:46 PM
http://www.milforddailynews.com/news/x875595539/Gas-station-closing-down

I always supported the guy he always got the premixed diesel for the winter. Very Sad. David is a good guy.

THIS GAS %$%$%$%$ SUCKS

EricW
07-01-2008, 04:23 PM
I bought gas this morning at 7:00 a.m. and it was 4.07. While I was pumping a girl was going around changing the signs on the pumps to 4.09. I checked my slip and I got in at 4.07. Another minute later and I might have had to pay an extra 24 cents. Never thought I would be excited to save a quarter.....

Where I got gas today there are 3 stations on 3 corners. One was 407, one was 4.09 and one was 4.19. What kills me is the one that is 4.19 had lots of cars in it buying gas. Sunday when I noticed the difference in price and today. Maybe it hasn't hit people. Why would you spend an extra 12 cents a gallon when you don't have to. As long as people are willing to do that I can't see the prices going down. All you have to do to save at least a buck is drive another 500 feet to the station at 4.07.

Backbeach Jake
07-01-2008, 05:12 PM
This oil/gasoline/diesel/heating oil crises is not the fault of any of the Arab states. It is fueled by our own investors and speculators. The enemy is us, the US. And our homegrown greed. This is a fine example of the power boning that occurs with no regulation and de-regulation.