View Full Version : Office

tlapinski
06-19-2008, 07:40 PM
First off, I am computer STUPID when it comes to some things. This is one of them. Ok, I was given an older lap top by a friend to replace the one I killed this winter. I need it to do only 2 things for me; get online and have word so I can write. When the computer starts up, it says "windows 2000 professional" if this means anything. I can get online, but when I click any of the office programs like word, excel, etc.. it says "this program is not installed. please insert disk." Well, I don't have the original discs. I do have a copy of office 2003 on disc, but when I tried to load it, the program said I needed to dowload a compatability "thing" from their website. When I did this, it told me I needed the discs for 2000. :deadhorse:

Is there something I am missing or can do to just get word on the computer? :bsod:

basswipe
06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
If all you need is Word,download Open Office here http://www.openoffice.org/ It can open and save in DOC file extension (which Word uses)...It's free and works great as an alternative to MS Office.

Ditto.

I actually find it better than MS Office.

tlapinski
06-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks! I'll give it a shot today.

JohnR
06-21-2008, 08:27 AM
With it asking for Office2K discs, it needs to be installed from where it was originally installed, which unless it was installed from the CD on the laptop, you're not going to duplicate. Typical Microsoft.

Anyway, as mentioned above, the OpenOffice is superior to Office 2K and will do everything you will likely need to do