View Full Version : Mass Tuna Question

BxBomber
06-20-2008, 07:55 PM
I was about to book a tuna trip up in Massa2sh*ts, when a captain told me that, in the event i do catch a tuna, it goes to the captain and I get my day free. I called around to everyone I could find and that's pretty much the policy everywhere. When I told them I have a valid tuna permit, they didn't want my business and he told me pretty much no-one will want my business if thhey know I have a permit. WTF :af:, I'm guessing that the captain sells the tuna, covers his expenses with a nice piece of change leftover. Are all charters like that up there? anyone know a charter where atleast the fish is a 50/50 split?

thefishingfreak
06-20-2008, 08:07 PM
your permit is useless on anyone elses boat. no one is going to take you giant fishing and split the reward with you. now school tuna<73" is a different story they will just give you the fish.

on some boats is if you actually hook a giant your trip is over right then and there. the mate jumps on the rod if it's a money fish.
the capt. is not going to risk you losing HIS fish.
your trip is free. simple math. saleable fish worth 12 bucks a pound verses a days pay for the charter :1poke:

Raider Ronnie
06-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Your permit is for your boat ONLY !
Most every charter boat has the same policy.
If a giant is caught (73 in & over) the fish belongs to the boat/captain.
Some boats will give you that or another trip free, some will give you a cut of the sale of the fish. usually 1/3

fish4striper
06-20-2008, 08:23 PM
schoolie day today :D

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k251/fish4stripers/tuna%20time/tuna_6_20_08/CIMG2125.jpg

Fisherwoman
06-21-2008, 05:13 AM
Way to go Fish4Striper, nice tuna:btu: Good to see you bloodying up the new boat. LOL

BXBomber, if you are just looking to catch tuna there are some good fish around under 73 inches. So if you are not looking for a giant alot of captains let you keep the fish. We let the clients keep the catch and split it up depending on how many you catch that day within the limit set by the fishery.

thefishingfreak
06-21-2008, 10:21 AM
schoolie day today :D

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k251/fish4stripers/tuna%20time/tuna_6_20_08/CIMG2125.jpg

nice job beats chasing mackeral

animal
06-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I have another question on the same subject.Since you are limited to one permit on your boat,how do charter guys sell the giants?I can only guess they're doing it illegally.We're getting the commercial permit this year,and the way I understand it,we will not be able to keep any bft under 73 inches.(even if fishing recreationally)

beamie
06-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Animal,

No they are not doing anyting illegal. There is a Charter boat / headboat catagory where someone on the vessel must be a licensed captain. When you have this permit you are allowed to either fish sbft recreationally or gbt commercially but not both on the same day.

So for example is there first fish of the day is a 60" tuna from that point on you are recreational fishing. If the second is 73 or greater if kept would not be allowed to sell. In retrospect if the first first is a giant.....your done.

from the NMFS site..............

Q: Is there a description of an HMS Charter/Headboat category permit?
A: Yes, owners/operators of charter/headboat vessels fishing for and/or retaining regulated Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (Atlantic tunas, sharks, swordfish and billfish) in the Atlantic Ocean, including the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea, must obtain an Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (HMS) permit. To be eligible for this permit category there MUST be a licensed Coast Guard Captain onboard the vessel during ALL HMS Fishing activities regardless if they are commercial, recreational, or fee based in nature. This permit allows a vessel to fish both commercially for tunas and recreationally for HMS, although not on the same day. Only the sale of tuna catch is permitted with this permit. This permit is required if fishing in Federal or State waters and because it is a commercial permit the U.S. Coast Guard Safety Gear Regulations may apply. This permit will also allow a vessel to fish in registered recreational HMS fishing tournaments.

animal
06-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks Beamie.That got by me.I also can't find the retention limits for the general category.I've been told a few different things,but the hms permit shop online is mostly written in a combination of Chinese and greek.

Van
06-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Their statement seems strange anyway. Everything said here is true, but the chances of catching a giant are very slim. The entire BFT stock is down to 10% of what it was due to the fishing in the Med.

Most likely the fish you will catch will be under 73" (way under). There just aren't that many giants arond anymore.

So go with the guy and have a blast catching school tuna, you will take home plenty of very tasty meat.

Good luck.

thefishingfreak
06-22-2008, 11:13 AM
If your going to charter for tuna go with someone who is going to troll for ANY size tuna. equipt with spinning gear also to catch footballs. you'll have more fun and get to take home fish. like Van said.
If your looking to charter strickly for a giant all your doing is gauranteing the boat a days pay. you will spend hours staring at balloons or kites all day livelineing bluefish.:sleeps: and as was said any giant you catch belongs to the boat anyways.

don't forget if you choose general catagory you have to keep all the extra saftey gear required.

Slick Moedee
06-23-2008, 11:00 AM
For tuna regs visit www.hmspermits.gov. Bag limits are on the home page. Right hand column or in the library. Look like 3 fish/day 73" +.

animal
06-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks,Slick,found it in the library.

jim sylvester
06-23-2008, 05:02 PM
so correct me if I am wrong

charter a boat

land (3) 70" tuna

all three are yours?

big jay
06-23-2008, 06:12 PM
3 fish over 73" if they are if they have the Charter Headboat permit. If they are just fishing under an angling category permit, you are subject to recreational limits (1 trophy fish over 73" that cannot be sold for the entire season).

Jeff - Nice fish, congrats!

FishingFreak -- What charter boat actually took a rod away from a customer? I've seen this internet story before, but I have NEVER actually heard of this taking place from anyone with firsthand knowledge. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to out a boat name in public.

Bottom line - it's for fun, but make sure of the boat's policies and permit category before you book (no one should end up fighting over money when they could be celebrating a great catch).

thefishingfreak
06-24-2008, 06:46 AM
FishingFreak -- What charter boat actually took a rod away from a customer? I've seen this internet story before, but I have NEVER actually heard of this taking place from anyone with firsthand knowledge. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to out a boat name in public.

).

Same here.. I've only heard of this but never first hand. though I know some Capt's who wouldn't think twice about doing it.

Slick Moedee
06-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Those that have the HMS (i.e., tuna) Charter permit can fish both recreationally or commercially. When it comes to bluefin, how they are fishing on any given day depends on the size of the first bluefin put on ice. For example if the boat hooks into a nice football and keeps it the vessel if fishing under the rec limits for that day (1 fish 27<47" and 1 fish 47-<73"). If that fish were released and the next one to hit a line was a giant, then the boat would be operating under the commercial limits 3 fish 73" +. The reason being is there is a line drawn in the sand at 73". Less than that is considered rec and greater than 73" is considered commercial. Like mentioned above it does the charter boat as well as the clients good to have a clear understanding of how this will play out if it occurs. Nothing worse that having a great day on the water turn ugly once back at the dock.