View Full Version : Eelskin Question

BlackBeard
06-21-2008, 09:04 PM
What does eelskin on a plug do? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Backbeach Jake
06-21-2008, 10:13 PM
They catch. Pull an eelskin on a plug and the plug is transformed. It becomes a hybrid of bait and lure. I really don't understand all the subtle little things that go on with a skin plug, Some guys put them on inside out, blue, like an eel that's been beat silly. Others like them right side out, black, more natural looking. It also gives the plug a little tail with a realistic wiggle. Whatever the attraction is, they catch.

numbskull
06-22-2008, 08:46 AM
They also cut down casting distance, add substantial weight when wet, and tend to foul on the belly hooks when rigged "right" with a @4" tail.
They tend to weed out small fish, who miss the hook(s). They are a pain to make and keep. But big bass certainly do love them. Great on needles, A40s, and Jr Atoms.

Tagger
06-22-2008, 09:26 AM
I only hang about 2" off the tail .. nice flowing wiggle on the tail .. I've done well on them when good plug/bait fisherman skunked..I been storing the same rigged plug in the freezer in between trips ..no less the wear.. Much less hassle/cheaper then buying eels and keeping.. BM junior is a good caster/skin plug .. I still think live eels out perform a skin plug imho . Skin = pluggers edge

BlackBeard
06-22-2008, 12:30 PM
So it's for the attraction factor, just without the slime.

Mr. Krinkle
06-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I left one in my truck with the eelskin on it and found it a week later. I was wondering what the hell the smell was.