View Full Version : Circle hook / fishing for bass question

RIfoosball
06-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Hello out there. I just discovered this forum, and am eager to get some input from you experienced fishermen(women) out there. I'm in RI and have been fishing in the bay and am not that experienced. I found a couple of spots where I wade in at night, cast out as far as I can with some chunk, and then back up to shore. I use a 2oz sliding sinker to a barrel swivel, and then a 2 to 3 foot flourocarbon leader. I was told that the circle hook was the best hook to use. I was told that it generally catches the fish in the lip, and is easier to get out for a tidy release. I get several hits a night, but.......

the other night, as an example, I feel the fish hitting on the bait...I put my tip down to allow it to take it and wait a few seconds until I feel like it's got it, then I pull the tip up and set the hook. I can feel the fish on for several seconds as it runs and then I lose it. I reel back in and the bait is still on the hook. The other night I managed to land one fish out of five good strikes (again these strikes it definitiely felt like fish on). This doesn't seem to happen with any other type of hook. By the way, I'm using Gamagatsu hooks.

Questions:
1) Advantages/disadvantage of using the circle hook?
2) What am I doing wrong?

The funny side to the other night is this.....the fish I caught.....well, my hook actually ended up hooking into a snap swivel, which was attched to a hook, which was in the fish's mouth, which was not mine!! Someone's line had broken above the snap swivel and I got lucky when setting the hook; it apparently came out of the fish's mouth and hooked on to the snap swivel.

Yeah, I know, I'm very good yet, but am eager to learn.

Your help is appreciated.

likwid
06-23-2008, 04:45 PM
don't set the hook, just reel in.

planter
06-23-2008, 04:59 PM
I know lots of guys who swear by circle hooks but I find that more often than I like the fish drops the bait quickly for whatever reason so I stick to octopi and just pull the trigger quickly. I don't deep hook many fish at all except the ones swimming straight back at you and think I have a very low mortality rate.
I would venture that circles would work best for larger fish more prone to just s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it in and swimming away but that's just thinking out loud..

steve
06-23-2008, 05:00 PM
USe a J style octapus hook. Set the hook and you'll catch 99 percent of the fish that hit. Leave the circle hooks at home. There a big gimmick.

capecodder
06-24-2008, 04:00 AM
I use circle hooks exclusively with any bait, chunks, sand eels,live eels, etc. The key is to let the hook set itself, do not try to set it. Let the fish take the bait, then reel. Also, I always make sure the hook is exposed from the bait, not buried in it...

I have great hookup success and almost never gut hook...

bloocrab
06-24-2008, 06:38 AM
I'm not a big Circle-Hook fan myself, I don't like the thought of "letting the fish hook itself", which is how the circle hooks are supposed to work. I'd rather go out swinging then just let the ball hit the bat. (if you get my analogy) :rollem:

Although, I don't agree with Steve that they're a "big gimmick", I'm sure they help in some way, ....I DO AGREE with Steve that your "hook-up" percentage WILL go UP when using the "J-Hook".

IMO - Answers to your questions//

1a. The ONLY advantage to using a Circle Hook, your chances of Gut-Hooking a fish may be lower,,, but it still depends on the size of your bait and how long you let the fish "Run". With a smaller piece of bait, the Bass can swallow it sooner, if that hook makes it down it's throat, your still in the same Gut-Hook situation.

1b. Disadvantage - you will drop more fish, it's not as satisfying when you're not setting the hook yourself, it's a little more annoying putting on some baits...

2. Trying to set the hook yourself while using a Circle Hook. You're supposed to let the line tighten and hope for the hook to find the corner of the fish's mouth on it's way out of it's mouth. :smokin:

Pt.JudeJoe
06-24-2008, 09:07 AM
I have been using Mustad 12/0 circles for years and they work great.It takes a little time to learn how to put it in the bait though but once you get the hang of it ,it 's easy. Same thing when you get a hit....I fish with the bail open ,holding the line with my index finger, let the fish pick it up and run with if for a 4 or 5 count.Then lower the rod click the bail and reel till the line is tight and raise the rod tip as you reel in.This timing all take practice but once you get it down you will not miss fish and they will be hooked in the corner of the mouth almost evey time...even blooofish .I've caught many big blues on flouro leaders with circle hooks, a big benefit to the fish as they don't float when you release them!

GonnaCatchABig1
06-24-2008, 09:38 AM
I have been using Mustad 12/0 circles for years and they work great.It takes a little time to learn how to put it in the bait though but once you get the hang of it ,it 's easy. Same thing when you get a hit....I fish with the bail open ,holding the line with my index finger, let the fish pick it up and run with if for a 4 or 5 count.Then lower the rod click the bail and reel till the line is tight and raise the rod tip as you reel in.This timing all take practice but once you get it down you will not miss fish and they will be hooked in the corner of the mouth almost evey time...even blooofish .I've caught many big blues on flouro leaders with circle hooks, a big benefit to the fish as they don't float when you release them!

yeah in a way you do set the hook.. except its not sharp hard jerk.. its more of a smooth firm application of pressure. if you time it right the hook should already be hooked. but you want to make sure to bury the barb and that its in there good. i've noticed increasing the drag pressure (if you losen it instead of flipping the bail) helps tremendously too. i have it tight enough to where if they cant make the spool spin they aren't worth catching anyway. and you'd be surprised how tight it can be and still have a lil 14" guy take off with it.

nightprowler
06-24-2008, 11:10 AM
I fish my circles the same way, gami 7/0 with eels. I let the line tighten and then raise the rod tip. once i feel the fish is on, i drive the hook home, to make sure i have a good hook set, especially when there is some weight to the fish. I have an 80-90% hook up ratio I would say. It has taken me several years to really get the hook set though.

likwid
06-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Leave the circle hooks at home. There a big gimmick.

Marine Fisheries/NOAA requires all west coast long liners to use this "gimmick". :rolleyes:

RIfoosball
06-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted!! Great information which I will use to get better at my new hobby (well...addiction for the last 3 years).

If anyone else cares to post, I will continue to monitor and appreciate.

Bruce.

Circlehook
06-24-2008, 12:35 PM
WTF!!! I am getting bashed like I'm #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& or somthing, and I didn't even do anything!!!

:jump1:

CanalGuy
06-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Forget the circle hooks. Some like 'em, some don't; besides my chunks wouldn't fit on 'em! :rotf2:

Rob Rockcrawler
06-24-2008, 06:36 PM
For the past 5-6 years i used circles exclusively for eels 5-7/0 gamis. Then last year i lost my circle hook touch, and missed way to many fish. I dont know what changed, before if i had a take i had a fish. So far this year i have been using j hooks and have yet to gut hook a fish. I was shocked by my buddy using 2/0 live bait hooks. I thought they would get swallowed everytime. He outfished me pretty bad at the block until i borrowed a hook of his. I think the smaller hooks made difference during daylight, not so much afer dark. When chunking i really like circles, but havent done it in a couple years.

bbrooks9933
06-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Ya Circle hooks kind of stink.
Granted you have a better hook set when you catch a fish but the key word is WHEN cause it takes a while to get used to and you miss a lot of hits.

Green Light
06-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Jhooks and Circle hooks are equally effective is used correctly.
I fish both, depending on the application and bait.

If you like to set the hook, stay with J-hooks.
As capecodder already mentioned, circle hooks effectively set themselves. When the fish grabs the bait in it mouth, turns it head and starts swimming away, the hooks sets itself into the corner of the fishes mouth.

I only use "in-line" (i.e. non-offset") circle hooks, with which I have never had a gut hook. My go-to circle hook (and for very good reason, trust me) is the Owner SSW in-line circle hook in 8/0 or 9/0: razor sharp points, strong medium wire, nice gap between the point and shank, and excellent penetration. What I can say from experience, is that I have caught fish with this hook on nights when my friends were not landing anything.

I hope this helps.