View Full Version : don't eat the dark meat

redlite
06-23-2008, 08:53 PM
So's, when ize bring home fish, my outlaw has me cut off scraps, usually the dark meat, for the cats. Well, tonite she tosses it in the nukulator and the stuff starts sparking from what I imagine is all the metal in the dark meat......So's don't eats it , specially if yous prego.

Rockport24
06-23-2008, 09:01 PM
your "outlaw"? :rotflmao:

yeah I've heard theorys that the dark meat, especially that strip that runs down the side contains all the mecury and bad stuff like that, don't know how much truth there is to that, but maybe you just proved it :huh:

BMEUPSCOTTY
06-23-2008, 10:31 PM
It's all p..... oh never mind. Hi redlite. http://yelims.free.fr/Coucou/Coucou24.gif Thats scary she ite!

fcap60
06-24-2008, 04:24 AM
The Redmeat is throwing off sparks in a micrwave ? This may be the best bit of information (and evidence) about eating the red meat (supposedly, where the toxins are stored) I've heard.

Very interesting. I'd like to know if others have experienced this as now I'm curious to try it myself.

Redlite-you may want to reconsider feeding the redmeat from the fish to the cat in the future...unless you want to get rid of the cat, of course.:laughs:

bloocrab
06-24-2008, 06:42 AM
your not supposed to put foil under the fish in the "nukulator"....:laugha:

....the dark meat is good, it make you strong like bull.

Back Beach
06-24-2008, 08:11 AM
So's, when ize bring home fish, my outlaw has me cut off scraps, usually the dark meat, for the cats. Well, tonite she tosses it in the nukulator and the stuff starts sparking from what I imagine is all the metal in the dark meat......So's don't eats it , specially if yous prego.

The sparks are probably from the %$%$%$%$ing fish hook you left in it. :behead:

t.orlando
06-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Never knew dogfish contained so much metal, thanks for the warning.:bshake:

EarnedStripes44
06-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Dark meat is the best part. Its got the most flavor.

And that smooth dogfish aint bad either, fed some houseguest on the vineyard for a week on fried dogfish. Told them it was rock salmon and they loved it. :tooth:

BassDawg
06-24-2008, 04:13 PM
what dark meat :huh: :huh:??

striper looks allwhite to me?

love crisping up the bloodline in a hot
sautee pan, is that what ya mean?
:bl: :bl: :bl:

Tagger
06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
dark meat is the fat ,,,. pcb's are stored in the fat .. just like us ..

BassDawg
06-24-2008, 04:25 PM
soooooo,,,,,,

it's okay to crispy critter the bloodline
and chow it down :huh: :huh:??

Nebe
06-24-2008, 04:45 PM
soooooo,,,,,,

it's okay to crispy critter the bloodline
and chow it down :huh: :huh:??

if you do that often it explains a lot :hihi:

i always trash the blood line... why chance mercury poisoning?

Tagger
06-24-2008, 06:52 PM
http://www.academic.marist.edu/mwwatch/spring03/articles/Environment/environment3.html

Tagger
06-24-2008, 06:58 PM
As for preparing and cooking fish, the Health Department issued the following recommendations:

*Choose small fish. Older and larger fish may be more contaminated because they have had more time to accumulate contaminants in their bodies.

*Use a method of filleting fish that will reduce the skin, fatty material and dark meat, because those parts contain many of the contaminants.

*Cooking methods like broiling, poaching, boiling and baking, which allow contaminants from the fatty parts of the fish to drain out, are preferable. Pan frying is not recommended. Cooking liquids from fish should be avoided.

*For shellfish, do not eat the soft green substance found in the body section. These parts, known as the tomalley or liver, contain high levels of PCB's.

Additional information on the health advisory can be obtained by calling the State Health Department at (800) 458-1158

Google PCBs ... worst cases Hudson River fish I believe .. BS ??? I cut the dark stuff off and toss...

WoodyCT
06-24-2008, 07:19 PM
http://www.academic.marist.edu/mwwatch/spring03/articles/Environment/environment3.html

You really need to read this. :read:

MarshCappa
06-24-2008, 07:36 PM
This is not making me want to eat fish! Are you serious? I need more info than that study.

Tagger
06-24-2008, 07:40 PM
This is not making me want to eat fish! Are you serious? I need more info than that study.

google it ,,, this is old news ... 80's stuff ,, Tons of new info on pcb's =electrical industry waste.. They once checked a fish for toxins and couldn't throw the carcass in the trash because it was considered hasardous waste ..

justplugit
06-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Tagga, don't worry about it till you start turning into a thermometer. :D

BassDawg
06-25-2008, 08:03 PM
thanks Nebe,

but i'm only talking about the little bit of it that i leave
cuz i like it ALOT!! if it's loaded with pcb's and merc,
then it's high time to leave it alone..................

oh and i've been shot out ALOT longer
than i've been striperin', bro :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

nklinesider
07-03-2008, 08:08 PM
this year ive been blessed by the striper gods to catch a pretty good amount of keeper size and bigger fish....most of the fish ive actually kept have been in 30-32 inch range because they say eat the smaller ones. ive been eating probably 1-2 meals a week and the past few times...this morning included i felt real gassy and had the runs about an hour after eating....do you think i could be eating too much fish or maybe its somthing else?

Tagger
07-04-2008, 06:23 AM
I have no idea why you have the squirts.. good question though ..

bloocrab
07-04-2008, 06:35 AM
I've been a big fish eater my whole life........

Fish never gave me the runs, but how you prepare the fish....or what you eat along with the fish might....

You may want to investigate .. ..:bshake:

I also love aLOT of veggies with my meals, certain veggies, when eaten in abundance.....have me pukin' out the back door -

you probably have a stomach bug, or drank too much RedBull with the fish.:cool:

RickBomba
07-04-2008, 06:36 AM
This thread is great!!!
First of all, nice job on the cooking attempt redlite...I would have fed it to the cats, then if the "fire meat" didn't kill them, I would have put them in the nukulator. If that would've killed the cats, maybe I would try to put Mikey in the nukulator, next.:rotflmao:
I've also heard that intestinal distress (farts) is one of the early warning signs for internal mitobacteriosis.
Happy 4th everybody,
Rick

spence
07-04-2008, 07:57 AM
I trim my fish very clean, can't stand the dark meat :yak:

-spence

nklinesider
07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
yeah frying it in a fryalator and baking it is how i prepare it most of the time. my doctor said i should lay off the fish for a month and then try again see if it has somthing to do with it. most of the fish ive kept have been out of wickford harbor so i dont know if maybe there is somthing in the water there....but most had sea lice so isnt that an indication of it being a migratory fish and not one that would have been in the harbor long?

Brother Brian
07-04-2008, 03:45 PM
It probably sparks because the red part has a much higher content of Iron.