View Full Version : Thinking about taking GM up on their SUV deal

Mr. Sandman
06-26-2008, 03:43 PM
7K or 0% for 72 on SUV's

Went to take a look and they are knocking a ton off the sticker on 08's... However they are not giving you a ton on SUV trade ins.....All in all it is a very good deal. Not sure if I should take them up on it or wait till Sept when the 09's arrive and until they are really desperate. Worried the selection will be a lot more limited since they are cutting production for this year. I am going to look again tomorrow and make a decision.

EarnedStripes44
06-26-2008, 04:00 PM
I dont know about the car lot, but GM stock is crashing today

Mr. Sandman
06-26-2008, 04:19 PM
yeah its now at a 50 year low.

The discounts are nice and the vehicles are good.

Raven
06-26-2008, 04:30 PM
heard today....... a prediction
that gas will be 7 bucks a gallon in 2010

keep that in mind

Mr. Sandman
06-26-2008, 04:59 PM
nothing I can do...you can't buy an off efficient off road vehicle that can seats 8 or 9, has massive storage, can tow a boat or go thru 2' of snow. There is no such thing. There are no plans to build an efficient vehicle for the sportsman. There are no electric cars in production. (yeah there are a few but nothing of significance) I'll buy a volt for my wife in 09 or 10 but I'll always need an Yukon XL or suburban. I will have to eat the gas costs.

I'll tell you what is going to feel some pain....airlines. There is no way in hell, ever, in the next 100 generations that you will see a solar or battery powered commercial airliner....ain't gonna happen. They need jet fuel.

Drill now!

Raider Ronnie
06-26-2008, 05:14 PM
yeah its now at a 50 year low.

The discounts are nice and the vehicles are good.

Take it from someone who has worked on cars/trucks for 30+ years
"The discounts are nice, but the vehicles suck ! "
Buy a Toyota !

Mr. Sandman
06-26-2008, 05:37 PM
no thanks...been there done that. (owned 2 land cruisers)

Nebe
06-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Heres what you do.. go buy a nice older VW vanagon or if you want to be nostalgic, buy a older bay window bus.. better yet, go on ebay and buy a crew cab bus from the west coast- yank the engine and then buy a DC motor kit that bolts on to the transmission. For about 3 grand you can convert and old VW to electric and be done with oil. The old crew and single cabs had whats called a treasure chest underneath the back bed that can hold 500 to 1000 lbs of battery weight. Im considering this with my westfalia.

Raven
06-26-2008, 06:41 PM
buy a DC motor kit that bolts on to the transmission. For about 3 grand Im considering this with my westfalia.

where have you seen these kits for sale Nebe ?

hulkyj61
06-26-2008, 07:47 PM
heard today....... a prediction
that gas will be 7 bucks a gallon in 2010

keep that in mind

Chances are this will not happen, its just a bold statement that made headlines. Since most people dont know a whole lot about the econmey, the big news outlets will flash this across the screen to "make news". If we stop driving like we are starting to do, our demand will decline causing a sharp decline in oil prices. the US is the #1 consumer of oil in the world, so a 5% delcine in oil usage will drop the price of oil a ton.

striperman36
06-26-2008, 07:52 PM
where have you seen these kits for sale Nebe ?

Been looking for these and the plans to show how to do it, myself.
I need 100 mi / day range

Will it tow a boat?

buckman
06-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Heres what you do.. go buy a nice older VW vanagon or if you want to be nostalgic, buy a older bay window bus.. better yet, go on ebay and buy a crew cab bus from the west coast- yank the engine and then buy a DC motor kit that bolts on to the transmission. For about 3 grand you can convert and old VW to electric and be done with oil. The old crew and single cabs had whats called a treasure chest underneath the back bed that can hold 500 to 1000 lbs of battery weight. Im considering this with my westfalia.

I think he wants to tow more then a small trailer full of activist signs:hihi: