View Full Version : Blanked on the cape!!!!!

fisherwoman
10-22-2000, 12:39 PM
Hit the cape this morning around 4 am. Hit some of our usually spring spots, just in case there might be some fish still around. Even hit the ditch for a while, then headed further south, only to find the wind out of control. Headed back north to Plymouth power plant, looked pretty fishie, but was dead low tide and couldn't get to the ends of the jetty as the waves were crashing big time, and was dead low tide. Baitcaster got one tiny schoolie up in buttermilk, but that was it. No signs of bait either. #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& & JohnR are right, time to head to RI or CT.

Damon M.
10-22-2000, 06:38 PM
I played with the idea of hitting the back beach one last time this weekend, but I decided not to since its been such an inconsistent fall up there. I blame easterly winds and mung. I wont sling an eel on the cape again until next July. For once Im glad I stayed home and fished locally.

MartyK
10-23-2000, 08:44 AM
I was invited on a friend's boat Saturday. We cruised along Marshfield, Duxbury and Plymouth. Just one schoolie. No breaking fish; no birds. One funny story, though. This guy's boss had been pestering him all summer to go out striper fishing on the boat. When my friend realized this guy knew nothing about fishing, he let out 250 yards of line and told his boss he could have the first fish they got as they trolled along the beach. Seems the boss's arms got a little tired and his interest in fishing for stripers has diminished.

Fisherwoman
10-23-2000, 09:25 AM
Hey MartyK, well thats one way for employee payback, LOL. Yes it was very slow, wish we would have had eels for the early AM before daylight, but couldn't get any at the local shops as they stopped carrying them for the year. Oh well, we will still put in a few more days and see if anything is happening, but my guess is that it is about over for this area this year. There will still be some fish moving thru, but you would have to be at the right place at the right time to get them. There should be fish at the Power plant, maybe next week!!!!!

Fisherwoman
10-23-2000, 09:30 AM
Damon M, I agree that the wind has done nothing but reak havoc on the fishing here this year. Although we caught alot of fish and they are healthier and a little better size, there were not that many quality fish here this year in the #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& size anyway, of course we did not get to put alot of time into night fishing and eel slinging either so that is part of it. The North East wind on the Cape on Sunday was brutal, and made some spots unfishable, especially alot of weed in the mix, was very frustrating.

STEVE IN MASS
10-23-2000, 09:33 AM
Not that I'm glad to hear you didn't get any fish, Marty, but I'm glad to hear there were none around, since I blew it. Should have gone on Saturday. Arrived at Duxbury Beach about 4:30 AM on Sunday. The wind was ripping out of the North. Tried for about an hour, but couldn't hold bottom. Increased to six ounces (all I had) and was still fishing on the sand. Too bad, cause it really seemed fishy. Was back in Foxboro by 7 AM. Guess I'm done in Mass till April or May. Got one last shot this year, I hope, NJ in about 3 weeks.

MartyK
10-23-2000, 12:54 PM
Steve, it could be worse. My season in Maine won't begin until Memorial Day, and even that's pushing it. You probably know the area better than I, but my son lives near the waterfront in Plymouth. There were still people fishing the jetty on Sunday, but he didn't know if they were catching anything. Could be a place to try next weekend.

Canalratt
10-23-2000, 01:18 PM
There are some fish still being taken in the canal at the east end around Pips. Only a few of the sharpies are scoring using heavy bucktails but there is keepers there. Cut bait should work in the usual areas but staying around the east end will increase the odds. This time of year fish can show up at any time of the day and some days schools go through on the west flowing tides. Its just a matter of "right time at the right place".