View Full Version : Live Bunker... at what depth ?

danno1
06-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Got a question when snagging bunker from a boat.

Once the bunker is snagged from the pack thats skimming the surface, usually my bait goes down most of the time and toward the boat.

Now I know that the big Bass usually are at the bottom. But I also know they are going after the school at the surface besides Bluefish.

If there are no bites after the bunker school passes, would you bring in the live bunker, follow the school, and place the bait around the school again, or just stay in the same place ( whether anchored or drifting) and wait for a hit ?

I guess my other question that is partly in the above is at what depth would you try to hold the bunker at if they are breaking the surface ?

Also, after you snag the bunker

niko
06-30-2008, 06:08 AM
as far as depth - let the bunker do what it wants. if there are bass around it won't much matter. chasing the bunker - if there are blues around and your bait is mangled just let it sink to the bottom. the bass will be cruising around cleaning up the scraps. if no blues, try and stay with the pogies w/o disturbing them too much. the bass will be shadowing the schools waiting for an opportunity. good luck

danno1
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Why I'm bringing this up is because I ran into one school of surface bunker after another, snagging with 2 seperate rods and letting them do their thing.
Feeling them getting scared once in a while, but no direct hits.

This happened at least a dozen times of snagging bunker out of the schools.

Mr. Krinkle
07-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I would continue to follow the school. Like mentioned above, I would let them do their thing.

Roger
07-01-2008, 04:07 PM
After snagging a few I move around the edge of the school until I see bass and not blues on the FF. Then I let it down to that level.