View Full Version : chunking with trebles ??

wjones1396
06-30-2008, 01:07 AM
chunking with trebles ??
okay, i know it's not common to use trebles for chunking bunker for stripers..

i assume it's gut hooking and getting hung up on bottom or covered in seaweed.

lately i have been getting a lot of runs and drops on both large circles and octupus hooks, and have been shallow hooking the bait on for exposure and tear off on hookset.

so two ideas:

1 use trebles with crushed barbs and get a very long hook remover to get deep inside for hook removal.

2. thinking outside of the box... i could make some circle treble hooks by lashing three hooks together with dacron lashing and zap a gap.

thoughts, comments, advise?? thanks

Tagger
06-30-2008, 03:45 AM
Try a Mustad 7/0 straight hook ,forged and bronzed... Bronzed is an inferior finish so it will rot out fast in you have to leave a hook in a fish. Learn the "Bow to the Cow " method .. fish one rod ,, no rod holders .. If you feel a bump,,bow the rod as fast as possible,, wait,, if the line runs out set the hook before the line is all the way taught . If a good fish feels you ,they will drop the bait.. Happens alot using rod holders.. You should get nice corner of the mouth hook ups, using this tecnique.. No !! to the treble .. I've been there .. when I first started fishing.. thought the chunk would stay on better.. I caught a schooly with the treble burried in its throat.. not very C&R friendly .. I'd rather quit fishing than fish like that .. I forget the # of that hook . I'll try and look it up later.. If your really into alot of fish (runs,,drops) might want to try a plug also ..

BasicPatrick
06-30-2008, 10:28 AM
No comment on Trebles but will suggest that the three circle hooks lashed together would prevent each individual circle hook from working properly negating your intent

wjones1396
06-30-2008, 11:33 AM
1. Okay got it with the trebles, no bueno!

2. freespooling question. i usually have 2 rods on shore, and we all pretty much have to either spike or lay rods on ground. at nighttime i am using spheros with heavy braids. i usually set the drag super light (poormans baitrunner) so i can hear the line run out. if i leave the bail open how do i detect the run without sitting and watching limp line?

thanks

Clogston29
06-30-2008, 11:37 AM
the fish are probably feeling the resistance of the drag and during the run and dropping it.

hold the rod and drop the tip and free line when you feel a take.

use mono, it'll help prevent the fish from feeling tension when it picks up the bait.

Adamfishes
06-30-2008, 11:43 AM
What type of reel are you using?

Tagger
06-30-2008, 02:43 PM
1. Okay got it with the trebles, no bueno!

2. freespooling question. i usually have 2 rods on shore, and we all pretty much have to either spike or lay rods on ground. at nighttime i am using spheros with heavy braids. i usually set the drag super light (poormans baitrunner) so i can hear the line run out. if i leave the bail open how do i detect the run without sitting and watching limp line?

thanks

When you said you were getting runs and drops ,,I knew you were fishing 2 rods in rod holders .. double your chances ?? wrong .. While your messing with one rod the other one is bouncing , before you can get it out of the tube the fish dropped it .. You just missed a good fish .. A schooly will hook itself .. thats easy .. Re-read what I posted .. fish one rod ,,, hold onto it with line just taught so you can feel the bump .. Bow .. The rod holder method can work with a reel with a baitrunner feature ... This sux though because you let the fish run so long they swallow it .. Bow to the cow .. The length of the rod .. thats all they get to run .. Master that then you get the nice corner of the mouth hook ups .. What I say is gospel .. I have 25 billion hours experience chunking and have done what you are doing ..

wjones1396
06-30-2008, 03:05 PM
thanks tagger. will do! but it's gonna drive me nuts sittin on my ass holding that line waiting n waiting. price I gonnna have to pay!

5 String Bass
06-30-2008, 05:11 PM
2 rods almost always leads to heartbreak. I've tried chunking with one and plugging with the other always to find out I've missed a good fish (maybe even GREAT fish). Stick with one if you can help it. What I figured out is I get bored chunking, so I use plugs and eels now to keep myself occupied with one rod. As mentioned, bow the rod when the cow picks up your bait (be it chunks or an eel), when you feel the pull- set the hook. Good luck out there.

Tagger
06-30-2008, 05:22 PM
thanks tagger. will do! but it's gonna drive me nuts sittin on my ass holding that line waiting n waiting. price I gonnna have to pay!

sit ,, stand ... once you get the hang of it its better ... You can look around and enjoy the scenery.. Better than sitting there staring at a rod tip for hrs..

Tagger
06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
As mentioned, bow the rod when the cow picks up your bait (be it chunks or an eel), when you feel the pull- set the hook. Good luck out there.
You'll see the line going out ... or at night hold lightly between fingers (spinning) or hold spool lightly in free spool (conventional ... Set hook just before it pulls tight .. If the line pulls tight ,,,again they will feel you and drop it .. I'm talking a big weiry old bass..

planter
06-30-2008, 06:23 PM
I find that fish feel even the light resistance of a baitrunner and sure find I do alot better if I only fish one rod. If you do feel the need to fish more than one always keep number two in hand.

I gotta say "bow to the cow" is new as a saying but it's right as rain.!!I find myself moving toward the fish just to keep a bit of slack laying on top of the water. I have explained it as watching the line like you would a bobber. You don't HAVE to feel the fish to know she's there.
PS... Fast on the trigger is the way to go when chunking. Good Luck

Tagger
06-30-2008, 07:36 PM
http://www.terminaltackleco.com/product/573/17

3406 7/0
Wire size changes between 6/0 and 7/0... don't get the 6/0 .. they can bend open .. 7/0 is good ..