View Full Version : Do you.......

Flaptail
07-01-2008, 11:38 AM
live where you really want to? I do, smartest move I ever made in some respects and not so in others. Gave up a promising career and great paying job ( for the time period 1983) and so did my wife but bought a home for peanuts on Cape Cod and had to rebuild our careers but I would really not rather live anywhere else.:uhuh:

Do you feel that way too or do you wish you were somewhere else or had made the move when you could of?

We were 28 when we jumped ship in Worcester for Cape Cod.

Let's hear your stories.

RIJIMMY
07-01-2008, 11:45 AM
No, I'd like to live closer to the water. We live in MA, the town is a decent commute to Boston or Providence, but @ an hour from the ocean. Interestingly, my wife and I both work in RI and the plan was to move to a coastal town. But I worry about future job prospects and do not want to move to a location where I cannot find a job.

BigFish
07-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Angie and I landed in Hanover. I saw a house that looked like what we might like. Hanover was not on our radar as parts of it can be a bit upscale. The house was a bargain at the time though we are in the middle of renovating it. We love it here and it is not far from the ocean, just 20 minutes, and just 45 minutes to the bridge and the Cape! We would love to live in Wellfleet but....."CHA-CHING!" $$$$$$$.

fishbones
07-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I love the town I live in (Easton) for a lot of reasons. We have a 3 year old son and the town has great programs, school sytem, playgrounds, etc... for kids. Also, I work in Providence and the wife works in Dedham, so it's pretty much in the middle for us. We're 35 minutes from a good saltwater beach, and can get to my dads boat in about 50 minutes.

But if I could, I'd love a saltwater view or at least be able to walk to saltwater. Or better yet, walk out my door and hop in the boat and go.

Jimbo
07-01-2008, 12:44 PM
We don't necessarily live in central NJ by choice. We just started out here because my wife had a job and then I got one, then we got married and little by little set down roots. Now it's partly that I've got a good job with good benefits, but it's unique and I would probably not be able to go anywhere else and do it if I were let go, so I'm handcuffed by that.
My mom's a Capee and my foilks are retired in S. Yarmouth now. My grandmother's still the reigning oldest living resident in Dennis, cousins and extended family I'm close to are in West Dennis or we hook up there during the year. The property has been in the family since post Civil War time. No place else I'd rather spend time or end up, and I will, just not soon, maybe when the kids move out and I can actually consider a career change.
Sort of related to this topic. I saw a truck in our parking lot with Hyannis Toyota and Mass places so I tracked down the owner. Really nice, new guy in our company that's lived in the center of Wellfleet for the past 11 years. He told me since he moved there he thought he couldn't live anywhere else and it's the toughest thing he's ever had to do, but he's got to move his family closer to work and is finding a place in PA.

Flaptail
07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I always shudder when I think or hear of people who have to move off cape to "make it" I don't think I could hack it mentally. Truro is where I plan to have a three season cottage someday for weekends and June July and August and keep the main house in Falmouth for winter living/main address. Sounds a bit strange I know.

Plan is to sell the camp in Charlton someday to my brother so he can split his time between Florida where he retired to in winter and New England by the lake in summer and there is the property in Worcester that will eventually be sold as well and that should take care of the college bills so my retirement doesn't suffer.

Got to have a plan.

BigFish
07-01-2008, 02:12 PM
My plan is to work until I drop! This government is s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g the possibility of retirement right out of most folks!:topic: Sorry! Back to the scheduled programming!:hihi:

Slick Moedee
07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Moved out to Rockport in late 90's, now living in Gloucester. Love the area, but just like any place you need to take the good with the bad. Town is completely mis managed, SHI@#Y neighbors ...... etc. But line is wet 5 min out the front door. Both the wife and I work in town so commute is nothing either.

zacs
07-01-2008, 02:53 PM
i live in the general area that i want to.

in theory i would like a house on the water with a dock, which is what we are working towards, but it is still a ways off.

Flaptail
07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
I always wanted a house on the water with a dock but after Hurricane Bob in 91', no thanks. I was in the electrical construction business then and I still rememeber houses completely wrecked and boats on the lawns. The risk is to great though it may never happen again it has happened twice since I have lived here so I would bet on it happening and with this global warming thing ( which I believe in) the category storm numbers will rise to more dangerous levels.

The only place I would live directly on the water here on Cape is a trout pond. ( A nice small mouth pond would do to!)

Slingah
07-01-2008, 03:17 PM
For now, I am very happy...Growing up in Quincy, I always wanted to live in this area...in fact I remember driving to the beach here in Marshfield when I was in my 20s, and saying to my girlfriend at the time....this is where I'm going to live...well when my wife and I were looking for a house..we drove right by where I had said that 20yrs earlier and saw an Open House sign..and I said " thats our new house"...and now it's home.
We will move again though....wife is already talking bout it :hihi:...she wants a waterview.....I'd like a place for the winter down south someday too.

InTheHole
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I grew up in Waltham, and when we were kids my Dad used to bring us out to the Littleton area to hunt and I always thought it would be a great place to live. A few years after I got married we had the chance to buy some land and build a house there. Great small town, still has dairy farms, good schools and no crime to speak of, 2 stop lights and no neon signs.

Backbeach Jake
07-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Steve, I'm one of those dolts who moved off the Cape. Been trying 35 years to get back, shoulda stayed. BTW Steve, Larry, keep an eye on the real estate ads. Everything is selling out there. Prices are slowly sinking.

Backbeach Jake
07-01-2008, 05:03 PM
tried to talk the wife into dumping when the market was nuts a few years ago... inventory was turning over as soon as they listed it, and my zip code was hot them.... she was extremely happy here and could not imagine living in any other neighborhood... funny how things can change, she'd fly out of here in a heartbeat now.... markets dropped, high inventory and plummeting prices....
so now is not the time to put it on the market

(Larry... shop wellfleet now!!!... there are some deals... Flap... saw a corker of a 3 season, (that could go 4 with very little effort) in the fleet, almost to truro line, very reasonable)...

I could live off cape, no prob... just not too far from salt and fresh water....

if i had to do it again... i'd go for big acreage, privacy and security

retirement???? WTF is that????
yuppy ;)

Karl an old Capie like yourself is considered an astronaut if he crosses the bridge. You must have frequent flyer miles by now. What is this retirement thing you speak of? Bedtime ? I just dunno...

Jenn
07-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Nope. Live about 10 minutes from where i grew up. (ooh how worldly I know...) I dont MIND the area but if I could afford to I would be in Truro or somewhere in the most northeastern part Northeast Kingdom (I would probably have to flip a coin to choose between the 2). When I win the lottery perhaps I will buy both....but for now I am stuck 4 hours west or 4 hours south of either

Rick Ackley
07-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Grew up in the Western Mass area, and old business kept me there. Now it would be a lot easier to move anywhere closer than 95 miles to the sea.

saltfly
07-02-2008, 07:41 AM
that's an easy and tough question all mixed in one.I moved from Braintree to the cape in 1985.Took a 30% cut in pay[ma bell] and 50% raise in rent.Best thing I ever did.I sold my slide-in camper and 19' n.american c.c.,gave my brother my 76 f-250[mechanic at Dave Dinger ford].Bought a new 86 bronco and started "livin the good life".The first year I saved $12,000 by not hanging in the bars[weymouth landing] and partying.Working out of Orleans I learned all the back roads and little places not traveled.Took an offer to work on Nantucket for the summers.Locked up the appt.[w.dennis] the 1st week of may and came back after laborday.worked pretty much 7 days a week &fished most nights,heaven!!Did that ten years.Almost moved there but now I'm glad I didn't[too crowded].Got engaged bought a couple of acres and built a house in Truro.This was my "Nantucket".Things were great for a few years.Took an early buy-out at 52[34yrs] and then the relationship went into the toilet.Subdivided the property and sold the house.Moved to Orleans 3 yrs ago.Now with all the "issues" both natural and man-made with the beaches and infrastructure in general.I'm looking at the possibility of finding a "golden pond" or acreage in w.mass,vt,n.h.,me.I still co-own an acre in truro but can't afford to buy it.I love this place in the off-season,these next two months you can have it.When I have to go up to Boston and drive through my old"hood":hs: I thank god I got out when I did.ANYONE WANT TO BUY AN ACRE IN TRURO??

eastendlu
07-02-2008, 08:30 AM
that's an easy and tough question all mixed in one.I moved from Braintree to the cape in 1985.Took a 30% cut in pay[ma bell] and 50% raise in rent.Best thing I ever did.I sold my slide-in camper and 19' n.american c.c.,gave my brother my 76 f-250[mechanic at Dave Dinger ford].Bought a new 86 bronco and started "livin the good life".The first year I saved $12,000 by not hanging in the bars[weymouth landing] and partying.Working out of Orleans I learned all the back roads and little places not traveled.Took an offer to work on Nantucket for the summers.Locked up the appt.[w.dennis] the 1st week of may and came back after laborday.worked pretty much 7 days a week &fished most nights,heaven!!Did that ten years.Almost moved there but now I'm glad I didn't[too crowded].Got engaged bought a couple of acres and built a house in Truro.This was my "Nantucket".Things were great for a few years.Took an early buy-out at 52[34yrs] and then the relationship went into the toilet.Subdivided the property and sold the house.Moved to Orleans 3 yrs ago.Now with all the "issues" both natural and man-made with the beaches and infrastructure in general.I'm looking at the possibility of finding a "golden pond" or acreage in w.mass,vt,n.h.,me.I still co-own an acre in truro but can't afford to buy it.I love this place in the off-season,these next two months you can have it.When I have to go up to Boston and drive through my old"hood":hs: I thank god I got out when I did.ANYONE WANT TO BUY AN ACRE IN TRURO??

How much???

Flaptail
07-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Bob, for what we have for 10 months out of 12, I know you would not be happy inland or somewhere else. This place is in your blood more so than almost anyone I ever met. You know the land and the history and it's part of you, the winter beach walks, the trout fishing on kettle hole ponds and the two months the "others" are here mostly really suck for fishing along shore anyway. Yeah there are crowds and traffic and bird closures but there are pleanty of places still to get away and the same problems follow you/us wherever we make our homes such as bills , development etc. DEP, EPA TREE HUGGERS Realationships and others. those will be there wherever you go. ( Karl I think you know it too)

Our real problem, and I truly believe we are kindred spirits in this ( along with Karl), is that we were born 30 years too late.

I will die here, my ashes and my wife's will be scatterd by my daughters and friends at Brush hollow in Truro someday and I will walk those beaches for eternity.

It's in my blood and yours and there is no way to get it out and no way I want to either.

lurch
07-02-2008, 11:11 AM
I like where I live, low taxes, good city govt and no worries about school closings but I live in the dead zone of saltwater fishing.

My goal in the next few years is to get a job working from home so I can move closer to the water....I can work from home most of the time now. My wife is a teacher and is certified to teach anywhere in the state.

Swimmer
07-02-2008, 11:31 AM
If I had a choice of still living on the Vineyard and getting the chance to meet my wife I would have stayed there and not left in the early 70's. Dearly love the island, even when its crowded.

Only other place would be all they way down Somoset Road in Eastham up in Sunset Village on Beach Plum Lane.

Flaptail
07-02-2008, 01:18 PM
This season, so far, it seems we have taken a small step back in time. There is a noticeable decrease in "other folks" coming to the Cape. My wife's summer job in a restaurant has notcied it and in my travels I have noticed it. The folks who owned summer cottages for family use are here, the hordes of renters ( except for this week ahead maybe) are not here as strong as they once were.

This is one of the only good things that can be said for the gas prices and thier fallout in food and other luxurys. Bad for local merchants to be sure but for us who do not rely on summer visitors for business and income to make the year in black, it's actually kind of nice.

Very noticable drop in the number of small boats at the ramp ( the weekenders) not the fisherman though there are fewer of them too.

But I can remember the 60's backed up in my parents overheating Dodge on rt 6 in Wareham trying to get over the bridge in summer.
Have not had one traffic back up yet this eason coming over onto the cape on Fridays, usually it's bad by 11am each week, not this year.

If gas and oil go higher in fall it will be even more noticable. There is a silver lining to everything and this is it as far as I am concerned though it's 15 cents more painful per gallon in the span of the Bourne Bridge from one side to another ( 4000 feet).

Oh well gotta see the positive or you'll go nuts.

Oh and BTW Karl, it's the natural progression of the sands of Nauset that has you really F'd up. Oh the old Long Bar days! sigh.......

Raven
07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
a yellow submarine :)

BMEUPSCOTTY
07-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't remember all the details of how I ended up here, but yes, I love it here. Across the street from the river and 5 or 6 miles from Gooseberry Neck. Farms by the ocean. The only thing I don't like is sharing it in the summer, though people watching at Lees Market or Handy Hill ice cream can be fun, 'specially on a Holiday week.:hihi:

Jenn
07-02-2008, 05:02 PM

I will trade you 3/4 of an acre w/ house in western ma :jump:

Raider Ronnie
07-02-2008, 05:34 PM
I love where I live (Wrentham Ma. )
I bought in 1989, before the housing price boom of the mid 1990s , now the value is 4 times what I paid!
Most all of the town is 2 acre minimum, so NO living on top of each other like lots of other towns and especially any city.
NO 2 familys, NO low income housing, No appartment buildings ect... = No riff raff scum living in the town !
Great schools !!!

If I ever moved it would Be to Maine !
I like the laid back pace of life up there much better than the cut throat way of life in Ma. !

stiff tip
07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
i tryed to leave the cape .mashpee .about 5yrs ago ...i bought 2+ ac in douglas ma and sat on in for 3yrs ....bottom line is ... i,ve been here 20+ yrs now .i aint going no where..i have a nice( too) big home w/ a view of johns pd..10 min from the ocean, 5min from pheasent and quail hunting and 20 min from the canal:nopain: i just could not leave the cape. i,ve raised my kids here and i,m going to retire here. in actuality i am retired, i just get up every day and go to work.... and i love :love:my job... flap your right ...if i left i would hate myself ......hay i can smell the ocean :fishin:

Backbeach Jake
07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
For those of us who remember what was, the old ways on the Cape, when fishing , clamming , berry picking, hunting was a necessity, only we will know what was lost. This Cape Cod was a remote and nearly lost, newly found corner of this country. Primitive in living, close to the earth. I am profoundly saddened by the changes that I have witnessed and the way of life that is now nearly lost. Breaks my heart. But change is inevitable and unrelenting, it comes with a steady pressure that can't be stopped. Sad but true. "Progress" is a glacially slow, unstoppable freight-train. Our idyllic, bucloic lives have been transformed over the decades, never to return to the way it was. We were free men, earning our way from the earth, and there was a measure of satisfaction in our lives. It has slipped away. What we once made, we must buy. What we once had taked for granted is owned by our government. But in all this, I personally take great satisfaction in knowing what once was. I was given a simpler, more fulfilling life. The heyday of that life is long ago past, but it's skills and lessons will sustain me into what is left of my future. The good old days of Cape Cod were indeed good.

Grapenuts
07-03-2008, 06:47 AM
i sit LOL....now you know what us real injuns feel like when all you washashores showed up..place is going to ell we'd say.Progress or regress:hihi:

Fred you have have me by 33 days.

HESH2
07-03-2008, 06:55 AM
have been going to the cape for over 50 years,bringing my kids for vacations and fishing.was there before national seashore and caught my first stripers off long point.wanted to buy a place there for years but never pulled the trigger.college bills etc.i'm thinking back alot of years in a motel in truro fo like $75 a week.up on rt 6a truro see for sale sign for building lots on bluff on water overlooking bay for $7500.said to wife that alot on money at $75 for week we can come here for like 100 years.shows how bright i was back then,had no clues on anything.youngest son was born in may and took him to cape in july,washing diapers in motel machines,warming bottles in motel office.he's up the now with his kids and fishing it hard.

Flaptail
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
1973, fresh out of High school, living on a charter boat and running the beach in my 1973 chevy truck at night. Anyone remember the Hibachi craze? Had one in the back of the truck, set on the tailgate and cook steaks or on top of the fish box when the no seeums were not too bad at the dock.

Bathing in a pond each night. Landing on Monomoy in 77' and fishing the beaches on the island with no restrcition, no seals, no rangers and having egg fights with the guys I fished with with sea gull eggs.

Dig clams by hand on the flats at low tide in the middle of the night and fill the cooler, no problems. Sell anything you caught to Old Harbor, Victory and Chatham Fish.

Camp anywhere you wanted in the woods of Wellfleet, Truro. The cops would tell you to make sure you cleaned up after yourselfs and don't make a lot of noise and btw "how is the fishing"?

Drive from Coast Guard Beach in Eastham to RP ON THE BEACH!!!

.49 cent a gallon gas, parking my skiff behind MacReed's and sleeping in one of the rooms above his shop no charge in the off season if the weather sucked. Fishing w/ MacReed.

Everyone in season wore waders into stores, restaurants whatever when fish were running it seemed that waders were mens official Cpae Cod apparel. Jeep wagoneers, and Grand Wagoneers, Cape Cod Cadillacs, they were called.

Launching from Calflin's Landing and having the Chatham cops watch your vehicle even though it was no parking as long as you told them when and where you were catching you were gievn the priviledge.

Sitting on a bare wood deck with no railings at a cottage on Thumpertown Beach in Eastham with my Dad and brothers watching the sunset and planes bomb the target ship, while we cheered them on and Dad ate cherrystones and sipped his ice cold Miller High Life.

God I miss those days.:uhuh:

Tagger
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Mom and Mother in law are old .. 5,,10 minutes away from either.. I'd still like to live in Hull someday ,,,or Wareham ..or Marshfield .. all other sea shore communties are out of my league .. I know your not going to believe this,, but Brockton's not too bad .. Shoot down 24 to RI or 495 to cannal or other way for Hull .. Fred ... Your post makes me want to jump off a cliff ..

nightfighter
07-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Born and raised in Swampscott, but all my friends were water rats from Marblehead (next town over and bitter rivals) Made for a lot of physical beatings in football and hockey for me, we beat them in football, they kill us in hockey, I always got run by my 'friends' every game...after a summer of sailing, fishing and raising hell with them.
Actually made the move to Marblehead when I got divorced, and changed careers. Now I work almost exclusively in town. Furthest access to in-town shore fishing is seven minutes, closest is 200 yards away. Boat is docked half a mile from the house. Nice community with a great seafaring history. And good fishing. Kids are here. It's home. Tough to leave in the summer.

Now if there were a place on the ocean with mountain access like Lake Tahoe, I might be tempted to move......

chris L
07-03-2008, 01:57 PM
i live in America exactly as I want too ( for now ) . I would only move to a pond from where I live today . but it would be in America and maybe away from Ct ( cant afford the pond water here ) . Im local to alot of good things I like to do . and If I want to travel away from America ( I have a # of times ) its only a short ride to the airport . hot looking hookers would be nice too but not in my neigborhood .

ProfessorM
07-03-2008, 03:56 PM
(Larry... shop wellfleet now!!!... there are some deals... Flap... saw a corker of a 3 season, (that could go 4 with very little effort) in the fleet, almost to truro line, very reasonable)...

Really. Wife has been talking about looking for a cheap, I know that is not possible in Mass., type fixer upper for a summer place. 3 season would fit the bill. Maybe she has some money tucked away. Have been looking a little though but not that far down Cape. One persons financial woes is another's gain sadley and that is what I have to hope for I guess if I am going to have a summer place someday, which is my dream. I lived in Centerville for 6 years once and have worked on Cape for 20 years..

I live in Lakeville because the wife is the breadwinner so she gets the shorter commute, Boston/ Hingham. Lakeville to Cape is an easy commute too for me. I like it as much as anywhere away from the sea I guess.

Sluggoslinger
07-03-2008, 04:27 PM
i just up and moved in september to california. Just closed on our home in corona del mar last week and i now live 0.4miles from the beach. Its beautiful, warm year round and i love it. though we are still in transition mode and i get very jellous reading about all you lucky people in the cape at my favorite time of year. I always said boston loves you from may to sept but slaps you in the face every other mornign with the crap weather and cold... I still love it though

Grapenuts
07-03-2008, 04:44 PM
:hihi:... SourBalls... er, I mean GrapeNuts.... you should be really PO'd at your dead realatives for selling off all of there land, for short money, to the folks from "away"... self admitted washashore, been here since age 11, 1968... and had the good fortune to be taken under the wings of some Brewsterite Cape Codders... lifelong friends, who i hafata remind once in a while that I'm still a washashore :hihi:... I guess thats acceptance... Bill fontneau usta let us stash our schoolie rods in the back of his tackle and gun shop just down 6A from the old elementary school.. we'd race over there after school pick up our gear and pedal down to breakwater beach and fish the jetties or walk out onto the flats, depending on the tide... 16 incher=supper.... :drool:.... that was a keeper back then.. and they was the best eating.

and you... LOL.... if ya cracked a smile ya'd hurt ya face... ;)

magine that...old wild bill....jumped ship an went north.heard the acting was better up there,swapped alot of guns/ammo with him,half that ammo wound up in the brewster dump on rats.....yep! sold for a buck an acar once the hardwood was cut,,brewster,harwich...still had the haying rights to hardings beach when grandpa passed...wood skiffs built in the barn next to the cows...still see him pounding in the rope to make the seams tite....train coming in downtown with coal...same with orleans[snows]...no road to morris island.....only one 3' tree along oyster river...only one number to dial...401...nantucket sound froze solid...home made baked beans and cornbread simmering on the castiron stove..beach plum jelly...wild blackberry jam...ring dings for .10....lobster rolls...25 cents...pure fresh sea water coming over the bar straight into stage harbor....cat boats towin for scallops ..oysters were wild not grown....walk for miles and never see a sole.....yeh...I miss it bad.

did I tell ya about the deeds in PT. and truro from gov. bradford? land down there too.

Back Beach
07-04-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm all set where I am. Would like to purchase a vacation home near the ocean once we get out from under the 30K annual daycare tuition for our two kids.
School system is decent, but classes are a bit on the large side at 30 plus students per classroom. On the fence right now with regard to public or private school for the kids once they're old enough.

Back Beach
07-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Launching from Calflin's Landing and having the Chatham cops watch your vehicle even though it was no parking as long as you told them when and where you were catching you were gievn the priviledge.

Threre's a place I used to do a lot of fishing with Old Goat. Good memories of fishing the hummock bar that used to be aboout 500 yards right of the parking lot. Sadly, it got washed away a few years after the breach really widened. Is was a striper magnet for many years.

Slipknot
07-04-2008, 07:23 PM
As long as this is a reminiscing thread, I remember eating rock candy that was on a string from a little candy store in Dennis behind Harneys somewhere. In the late 60's and 70's we'd camp at Airline mobile home park in Dennis and when we were about 9-13 y.o. I remember the summers we'd stay all summer with my Mom, and Dad would go back home to work at General Dynamics in Quincy but come back on weekends, and we'd go off on our bikes all day, we'd club frogs and mom would fry the legs up for us. Ya don't see goldfish and frogs anymore :( We had a blast back then in our endless summers. Swimming at West Dennis beach then come back and go in the pool.
There was always stuff to do or places to explore. Scargo lake tower was a ritual, my brothers and I learned to swim in that pond, the pottery lady up there let us make clay things and later on my mom would fire them in her kiln. I remember lots of stuff from back then. It's not the same world these days that's for sure.

I forgot, my dad driving us out to the dunes near Pilgrim lake and climbing them carrying a big piece of cardboard box and sledding down the dune over and over. try that today and you'd get arrested I bet.

To answer your question Flap, ya I'm happy where I am, just close enough and far enough at the same time. Timing hasn't been a good factor in my decisions sometimes but I accept what I have.

Squid kids Dad
07-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Ya...My memories go back to spending from April till September on the Cape in Eastham in Sunset Village near 1st Ecounter Beach for roughly 20years..Watching the bombing of the Target Ship(USS LONGFELLOW)..Sometimes even during the day..Remember sailing on the sunfish out there and they would do a few fly over to let you know you better get the hell out of there..Walking out at low tide to go swimming getting your feet bit by crabs..lol..Spending nights on the beach at a fire with friends..Catching my 1st Striper at the herring run..Ahh the memories...My wish is to end up back there but I'm afraid it is just a wish

Hooper
07-05-2008, 08:38 AM
As long as this is a reminiscing thread, I remember eating rock candy that was on a string from a little candy store in Dennis behind Harneys somewhere.

Hey Slip, Would that be The Red Cottage Store (Also owned under the name Gordon's at one time)???

I grew up across the street from there, rode my bike to Harney's, Highbank Bridge, the train bridge that crosses Bass River that you can see from Route 6. Good times...

I was born on the Cape, and aside from an enlistment in the Army where I was station at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii, I have stayed put.

Though not without it's challenges, I still think the Cape is a better place to live than many others, though I believe our public schools are in serious trouble, but another topic for another time.

Locally, I'd like to live on the Vineyard. Almost took a job there in 1996, and I wonder how things would be if I had taken it.

In wintertime, I dream of snook fishing the mangroves around Sanibel and Captiva, and if I had the approval of the Admiral, I might look into making that happen, but for now, the Cape is home and always will be.

Slipknot
07-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Ya Hooper, that's the place. Your memory is alot better than mine.
Bass river bridge, I remember fishing off that many times as a kid. Can you still do that? :huh:

Swimmer
07-05-2008, 12:07 PM
1973, fresh out of High school, living on a charter boat and running the beach in my 1973 chevy truck at night. Anyone remember the Hibachi craze? Had one in the back of the truck, set on the tailgate and cook steaks or on top of the fish box when the no seeums were not too bad at the dock.

Bathing in a pond each night. Landing on Monomoy in 77' and fishing the beaches on the island with no restrcition, no seals, no rangers and having egg fights with the guys I fished with with sea gull eggs.

Dig clams by hand on the flats at low tide in the middle of the night and fill the cooler, no problems. Sell anything you caught to Old Harbor, Victory and Chatham Fish.

Camp anywhere you wanted in the woods of Wellfleet, Truro. The cops would tell you to make sure you cleaned up after yourselfs and don't make a lot of noise and btw "how is the fishing"?

Drive from Coast Guard Beach in Eastham to RP ON THE BEACH!!!

.49 cent a gallon gas, parking my skiff behind MacReed's and sleeping in one of the rooms above his shop no charge in the off season if the weather sucked. Fishing w/ MacReed.

Everyone in season wore waders into stores, restaurants whatever when fish were running it seemed that waders were mens official Cpae Cod apparel. Jeep wagoneers, and Grand Wagoneers, Cape Cod Cadillacs, they were called.

Sitting on a bare wood deck with no railings at a cottage on Thumpertown Beach in Eastham with my Dad and brothers watching the sunset and planes bomb the target ship, while we cheered them on and Dad ate cherrystones and sipped his ice cold Miller High Life.

God I miss those days.:uhuh:

Your younger than me, but we must have passed each other in the night somewhere. Spent a lot of time on Monomoy at Hanley's cottage, and all over the lower Cape. Surfing my ass off, and chasing the opposite sex. Used to sell beach plums to Macreed's as a kid. Used to run from Cook's Brook Beach all the way through Thumpertown up to First Encounter back then. Thumb to Coast Guard Beach with my 9' G & S surfboard and actually get rides.

Hooper
07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Ya Hooper, that's the place. Your memory is alot better than mine.
Bass river bridge, I remember fishing off that many times as a kid. Can you still do that? :huh:

Yup, there was a hub-bub a few years back when some state highway hack took it upon himself to post signs on the bridge that read "No Fishing Allowed". They're still there but they have been mangled and vandalized, and the fishing continues, as it should.

Lee at Riverview tried his best to find out where the directive came from to put the signs up and I don't know that he was able to learn anything more than one guy decided to post those signs one day.

That's all I gonna say about that.

Jimbo
07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Like many others, I'm not a Capee, but have been fortunate to stay in a house that's been in the family in West Dennis. I bet many of you have probably driven by without noticing it, but it's been there since the late 1800's. Right on 28, one house back from the bridge. Electricity and plumbing were added a long, long time ago and haven't seen much improvement since. The bathroom has only an old tub, but we put an outdoor shower in about 20 years ago. There's nothing like that musty smell when we open it each year. That was home base for me from the day after school got out until Labor Day from 1958 until about 82, but I've managed to spend time there every summer of my life. Slipknot and Hooper bring back memories I have often of the area. The Red Cottage was where we'd stop for a cold drink when I drove a garbage truck for AH Crowell for a number of summers. I also remember cold Mountain Dews at Hamlin's garage after Red Wilson's Recreation program at John Simpkins, Cheap Beer nite at the Improper (with Jimmy Plunkit), riding in my grandfather's lapstrake Lyman to get rockweed for family clambakes on Bass River, Bottomly's Doughnuts, my first job ever was as one of the first miniature golf pros at Merry Mill around age 10. There were two other penny candy places we'd go to. One was across Fisk Street from Hojo's the other was in the barn a couple houses down from Christmas Tree. My grandfather owned a part of Big Simmons Pond in S. Dennis where my dad would take us to fish for perch and throw in a bar of Ivory so we could take our bath. I am proud to say I have Pilgrim blood in my lineage. My mother's family is from West Dennis and Truro. A distant cousin, Cap Paine was once "Station Keeper" at Highland and also Cuttyhunk and I always stop at his grave at that cemetary on 6 in Truro. My grandfather and now father have always had a keen interest in Cape history, which hearing them lecture about never bored us. I'm 50 now and he started his filming long before I was born, so the old 8 and super 8mm films are just an added plus (when the projector's working). It's astounding, to say the least, to see how Provincetown has changed over the years, or should I say evolved. I know you can never go home again, and it will never be like it was but still the Cape holds some allure for me that keeps me coming back and hopefully some time it will be permanent.