View Full Version : Hand Held GPS w/chart

BasicPatrick
07-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Anyone have feedback on the following:

I am shopping for a hand held marine grade (prefer submersable) GPS with some sort of mapping capability. Looking for a deal...ie: not looking to spend more than 200 or so. Any ideas

Flaptail
07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Anyone have feedback on the following:

I am shopping for a hand held marine grade (prefer submersable) GPS with some sort of mapping capability. Looking for a deal...ie: not looking to spend more than 200 or so. Any ideas

Going high tech are we? Learn the way back inshore across the flats at certain tides and program that gizmo for that route, at least you will avoid the nuts in the bigger boats in the channels.

WHEN BATTERY POWER FAILS U STILL NEED THAT COMPASS!

Roger
07-02-2008, 12:06 PM

And a chart :cheers2:

keeperreaper
07-02-2008, 02:49 PM
I use the furuno chartplotter but always keep my handheld on too. Redundancy is key on the water. Also knowing how to use a chart and compass correctly is a skill every boat owner should be well versed at.

BasicPatrick
07-02-2008, 04:29 PM
With all due respect I will be 42 next week and have been paid to work on various sport fishing boats on and off since I was 17. The compass and chart were on the boat before the registration sticker.

Going high tech are we? Learn the way back inshore across the flats at certain tides and program that gizmo for that route, at least you will avoid the nuts in the bigger boats in the channels.

Van
07-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Patrick This is my reply to another post.I used it the past couple of weeks because my Raymarine was being repaired. It is a chart plotter and I've program some "honey holes' and press go-to and it points you and puts you perfectly to the spot.

200 bucks at

http://www.boatbandit.com/lowrance-ifinder-atlantis-2812.aspx

I have this one.
http://www.gpsdiscount.com/catalog/Lowrance-748.html

It made for waterway navigation, not streets.
So it has all the navigation aids, bouys, etc....

iFinder Atlantis This package is shipped with the iFinder Atlantis, pre-loaded MMC card (featuring U.S. coastal and Great Lakes detail with navigational aids, obstructions and wrecks), white faceplate and the package accessories listed below.

I would say WAAS is a must, since the accuracy is there, why not take advantage of it.

I use it as a backup to my Raymarine color unit.
But to compare I have used it side by side at sea and its very good.
Not a color screen, but its the ocean anyway.

Anyway, just a suggestion and my opinion. Good Luck.