View Full Version : how to ask for dockage?

macojoe
07-03-2008, 07:35 AM
I have been boating a long time but have never brought my boat in for a few hours or a day at any harbor.

I assume all one does is hail the harbor master on channel 16 and go from there??
Can someone tell me the proper way, My wifes BDay s coming up on the 9th and she has been wanting to go to the vinyard for a long time. But she hasn't been in the best of health. But with the new boat I can give her a nice comfy ride.

Thanks Guys!!

daceman63
07-03-2008, 07:51 AM
depending on where you are going most places have a sign with the channel they monitor. You just key up and ask for them. Most time you can dial a phone number from your cell....you can call ahead to get the dial up umber of the place you're going. Sometimes they have a temporary tie up and you can pull in and get info about a slip there too...

Marina Bay has a dockmaster who monitors the radio...not sure of the channel...but just ask for Marina Bay...or Marina Bay dockmaster. If it'sa harbor then ask for the specific harbor master...either way thereshould be signs with the channels when you get close.

fishsmith
07-03-2008, 08:00 AM
not sure about a couple of hours, if it's a busy place, you might need to rent a slip.

In the Navy we would reference the latest publication of the Coast Pilot prior to entering a port.

For the local harbors, I suggest you give the harbor master a phone call ahead of time and they'll point you in the right direction.

the proper way to hail anyone is state who you're calling 3x followed by your name.

I'm not 100%, but a vhf conversation should go something like this

<macojoe>
" FALMOUTH HARBOR MASTER, FALMOUTH HARBOR MASTER, FALMOUTH HARBOR MASTER, .... THIS IS PLEASURE BOAT MACOJOE OVER "

<falmouth harbor master>
"MACOJOE THIS IS FALMOUTH HARBOR MASTER OVER"

<macjoe>

" FALMOUTH HARBOR MASTER THIS IS MACOJOE, ... CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE I CAN DOCK MY 24FT BOAT FOR A FEW HOURS, OVER"

<falmouth harbor master>
"MACOJOE THIS IS FALMOUTH HARBOR MASTER, PLEASE SWITCH TO CHANNEL SIX EIGHT OVER"

<macojoe>
"FALMOUTH HARBOR MASTER THIS IS MACOJOE, SWITCHING TO CHANNEL SIX EIGHT OVER"

continue conversation.

likwid
07-03-2008, 08:03 AM
don't need to declare "pleasure boat"
what channel the harbormaster is on varies from harbor to harbor

Falmouth monitors 9 and 16.

InTheHole
07-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Menemsha is also 9 & 16, you can also call on the phone after 7:00am to get slip availability, or to see if there is any place to tie up for a while

macojoe
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys!! I will give the harbor master office a call and get the details.

macojoe
07-03-2008, 09:39 AM
* Oak Bluffs Harbor Master -- 508-693-4355 - monitors ch.9; working ch. 71 (Oak Bluffs)
* Tisbury (Vineyard Haven) Harbor Master -- 508-696-4249 - monitors ch. 9; working ch.69 (Tisbury/Vineyard Haven)