View Full Version : Mung for miles

Flaptail
07-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Outer beaches, Wellfleet to Race south, solid.

Sorry but didn't want anyone to head out there and suffer needlessly like Sauerkraut and I did last night.

Have a great Holiday. Flap

Back Beach
07-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Supposed to go NE tomorrow too. Should be just like a puddle of mud after that. WTF are you guys doing out there anyways, collecting seashells?

Flaptail
07-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Supposed to go NE tomorrow too. Should be just like a puddle of mud after that. WTF are you guys doing out there anyways, collecting seashells?

I prefer Sandy Neck for shells and the occasional whalebone/vertebra, we had the time so we went. One never knows but in conversation with a friendly park ranger the race looks good to open 7-15/16 or there abouts, the birds hatched early are doing well and should fledge out early too.

Of course the rest of the beach will be covered in mung but at least the race, which has it's moments in July and August ( mostly at 1 pm under a blazing sky with no one but tourists around), will be fishable.

Time for commando fishing with Numby ( oh my aching knees and back) corkers reall suck after a while, a nescesity but they suck.

BigFish
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Great! Just in time for my 2 weeks down there! :tm:

numbskull
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Suffering builds character. Anyone who fishes on sand with spinning tackle is severly lacking in character.......and moral terpitude to boot. Hence God invented mung and, when ye heretics ignored his message, he had to send seals and wives, too. Since you ignored that he made eels and oil scarce. Yet still you persist in your foolishness and ignorance. May your waders be cursed, your wind knots be common, and your car be towed. May mosquitoes follow you all the days of your life. Repent, sinner, and be saved. Amen.

PS. For the really hopeless cases God fills up their PM box so they miss out on salvation. Clear 'em chump.

Backbeach Jake
07-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Suffering builds character. Anyone who fishes on sand with spinning tackle is severly lacking in character.......and moral terpitude to boot. Hence God invented mung and, when ye heretics ignored his message, he had to send seals and wives, too. Since you ignored that he made eels and oil scarce. Yet still you persist in your foolishness and ignorance. May your waders be cursed, your wind knots be common, and your car be towed. May mosquitoes follow you all the days of your life. Repent, sinner, and be saved. Amen.

PS. For the really hopeless cases God fills up their PM box so they miss out on salvation. Clear 'em chump.

That explains everything that has ever happened to me. Don't forget the plagues of Summer Squid.

Kierran
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I leave for the Cape on 7/13 for a week and I'm debating buying the ORV 7-day pass. I'm hoping some more sand opens up and the mung clears. I won't hold my breath.

Back Beach
07-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Sucks to admit it, but the place is largely a lost cause if its bass from the surf you're after. All the other non surf fishing fun stuff can still take place though. I just can't bring myself to burn the fuel and time to go out there. Its been almost five years now.
Numbskull has it right, stick with the places that have bad footing and cast an eel to em...

numbskull
07-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Numbskull has it right, stick with the places that have bad footing and cast an eel to em...

:eek: You seek to corrupt me you hideous impure one. May your hemorrhoids grow as large as pumpkins and a plague of 2 lb bluefish darken the waters at your feet.

JFigliuolo
07-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Numby's a hoot... either that or the fact I'm punch drunk since that I got up at Midnight to fish before work. Either way... I still laughed.

bart
07-03-2008, 01:54 PM
i see a Numby/Back Beach rendezvous in P-Town in the near future where eels and stubby needlefish are exchanged :hihi:

:hidin:

Back Beach
07-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Of course the rest of the beach will be covered in mung but at least the race, which has it's moments in July and August ( mostly at 1 pm under a blazing sky with no one but tourists around), will be fishable.

I'll tell you what..

Looking at the moon, tide, and wind conditions for tonight conjurs up some great memories of the race.
First week of July, Sou'west wind 25kts plus, new moon, and dropping tide after midnight. We used to put the hurt on with these conditions. If I fished it tonight I'd get there for the drop @ the traps and fish til daybreak with a loaded 7" squid color super strike needle. Seen some real freak shows with the new moon and corresponding low tide at daybreak. Had many 30-50 fish nights in these conditions.

maddmatt
07-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I'll tell you what..

Looking at the moon, tide, and wind conditions for tonight conjurs up some great memories of the race.
First week of July, Sou'west wind 25kts plus, new moon, and dropping tide after midnight. We used to put the hurt on with these conditions. If I fished it tonight I'd get there for the drop @ the traps and fish til daybreak with a loaded 7" squid color super strike needle. Seen some real freak shows with the new moon and corresponding low tide at daybreak. Had many 30-50 fish nights in these conditions.

that was B.S. (before seals)

Back Beach
07-06-2008, 06:59 AM
that was B.S. (before seals)

Yes it was. 1985 to 1995 to be exact.

steve
07-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Boy, What ever happened to Cape bass fishing.?I was up there on thursday and visited a couple of shops and heard alot of doom and gloom about the state of the fishery this season and the last 2 . Man, do I remember the Chatham inlet old and new. What fishing, what happened?

Flaptail
07-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Boy, What ever happened to Cape bass fishing.?I was up there on thursday and visited a couple of shops and heard alot of doom and gloom about the state of the fishery this season and the last 2 . Man, do I remember the Chatham inlet old and new. What fishing, what happened?

Trophy homes, overdevelopment and the consequences thereof. Nitrogen loading into the wetlands from chemical lawn care sprays, affecting bays and marshes, mung, seals and plovers. All the bait and bass for that matter hanging just offshore but no one I know can cast 3/4 of a mile to reach them.

Now if you have a skiff that doesn't use a lot of fuel you can catch all the fish you want. We have some flashbacks to the "good ol days" in Mid September to November on the beach but they are few and far in between. I was lucky enough to get in on several last year but it ain't what it was.

The upper Cape to Mid cape is your best bet nowadays.

maddmatt
07-07-2008, 10:16 PM

seals, seals,seals:nailem:

10,000 yes 10,000 seals eating 3-5% of their body weight a day = 400,000 # of fish/dayX365 =..... uh... a really big number. look at it this way, the mass comm quota is 1.1 million lbs. thats less than 3 days of seal food. most of the time fish (bass+ blues) don't dare to venture into water less than 20 ft. their too easy to catch. we also seen them work cooperatively like humpbacks or killer whales. some corral the fish and they take turns darting through them picking them off bluedevil just saw them doing this on his last walk out to the hump. lose the seals and the fish will live along the beach again. time for my xanax again.

maddmatt
07-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes it was. 1985 to 1995 to be exact.

we musta been fishin together! nice to meet ya . had a 1985 4 door blue dodge ram w/ a white cap and white fishbox on the front. retired in 99 for a chevy silverado w/ the same white fishbox/rodrack on the front. still up there beating my head against a seal.

Back Beach
07-08-2008, 04:35 AM
The upper Cape to Mid cape is your best bet nowadays.

Agreed.

You really don't even need to go over the bridges.

Back Beach
07-08-2008, 04:40 AM
we musta been fishin together! nice to meet ya . had a 1985 4 door blue dodge ram w/ a white cap and white fishbox on the front. retired in 99 for a chevy silverado w/ the same white fishbox/rodrack on the front. still up there beating my head against a seal.

I'm sure we met at Nelson's, Beech Forest, or another one of the hangouts. I quit the cape in 2001 and haven't been back since.

piemma
07-08-2008, 05:00 AM

Steve:
That's why I quit in 03. I remembered what it was like on The Back in the period from 89 to 97 and it was awesome. It started do go down hill around the year 2000 and from there is just sucked.