View Full Version : Golden Retriever tries to eat baby rabbits

Swimmer
07-03-2008, 07:40 PM
I am out weeding the garden about five p.m. Dog always loves going in the garden chasing snakes and sniffing out anything that walks through during the day and night. A large rabbit, and now I know the large rabbit is a female, had a family of two babies in the only raised bed I didn't plant anything in this year. My back is to the dog insdie the garden while I am weeding. Next thing I hear is this little, what I now know to be baby rabbit screams, animal wailing. I turn around and my golden is doing her best I'm a bear routine whacking one of the two baby rabbits. The other one escaped running right between my feet. I run over to where the dog is trying to crush the rabbit in its mouth. Scare the bejesus out of the dog, and she drops rabbit on the ground from just a few inches in height. Dog is still trying to make a meal of the rabbit. I have to kick the dog in the butt to get her away from the rabbit. I finally get dog outside of garden fence. The rabbit my dog was trying to eat now runs across garden, under the fence, then stops in the middle of the yard and makes like no one can see it. I run over and pick it up, and bring it back inside the garden and put it next to the hole in the raised bed where the mother I am sure has been looking after them. Now I run over to the other rabbit who hasn't moved, pick that one up and put it next to the other one in the raised bed. Now I feel bad because I got so pissed at the dog. She was just doing what comes naturally. I think both of the babies are o.k. I saw one outside the fence eating some clover as dusk set in. I did get the garden weeded/watered. And the dog is still talking to me.

ProfessorM
07-03-2008, 08:41 PM
My friends black lab ate several of a large litter of cats under his porch one day when I was a kid. Swallowed a few whole. Pretty disgusting even thinking of it even to this day. I have so many rabbits in my yard right now but my black lab is 12 going on 13 and she its too lame to chase them anymore and they know it. They have not eaten too much so far. I keep a good crop of clover in my lawn and they seem satisfied so far.

Back Beach
07-04-2008, 06:37 AM
I used to live next door to a farm. We had a german shepherd that entered one of the livestock pens and chewed the feet off 5 or 6 of the farmer's rabbits. Being the kind hearted person he(farmer) was the gun didin't come out, although he would have been well withing his right. He didn't want to break the hearts of a bunch of kids. We were like 8 or 9 at the time. My parents replaced the hobbled bunnies and all was well after that.

BigFish
07-04-2008, 06:44 AM
You are a good man Frank! I have a soft spot for bunnies myself! When we were over Cuttyhunk I came upon a baby bunny in the clubs kitchen...somehow it had gotten in one of the open doors. It was about the size of a tennis ball! I spent about and hour trying to gently get it out of the club.......I just didn't want it to get stuck in there and die!:btu:

The Dad Fisherman
07-04-2008, 09:55 AM
When we were at Cutty a coupleof years ago we were all sitting out back by the grills. We see this baby rabbit come hopping out of the bushes along the grass, looking as cute as can be....all of a sudden a seagull swoops down, picks it up, flys over the rocks and drops it like it was a clam.....we were all like 'Holy Crap" :shocked:

Swimmer
07-04-2008, 11:40 AM
I think the rabbits came through the ordeal unscathed. I am a sucker for most animals, except woodchucks and squirrels, bet heh they have thier place also. Just can't let the dog inside the garden any longer until the rabbits are large enough to outrun the dog, which wont be long.

Last night after the rabbit incident we were sitting out on the deck looking at the flowers a new visitor showed up. A racoon came from two yards over and walked down the back wall until it came to my property line. It went down the other side of the wall and out of sight. First thing out of my wifes mouth was, "it must be rabid, its out during the day". I asked her how she new it was rabid. Did you do the blood test? She works in a hospital lab. It was dusk and this racoon was motoring.

smokefish
07-05-2008, 12:21 PM
A couple of weeks ago I look out my window to see my yellow lab tossing something in the air and catching it, rolling around on the ground like he's got a new toy. You guessed it a baby rabbit, or at least half of one. Momma rabbit not to bright, puts her nest in the middle of a fenced in yard with the dog and cat. He got one more before she decided to pack up and move.

Cranium
07-06-2008, 07:22 AM
After college a bunch of my friends were living in roslindale. One of the neighbors had a pit bull that lived in the basement. The owner was a druggie who did little for his dog. We would go down to the basement and toss some food to the dod. Couldnt get to close, because of owner abuse she was mean. Long story short the pit bull had a litter of pups, probably unkown to the owner. The owner went on a bender for the weekend. After a while we noticed the owner wasnt around much, so we went to check on the dog and the pups. When we got down the stairs, the dog was finishing off the last of her pups. she ate the whole litter. We called animal rescue they took the dog. Needless to say when the owner got back we beat him senseless. He moved out that week. Still feel sad for that dog.

FishermanTim
07-07-2008, 10:35 AM
After college a bunch of my friends were living in roslindale. One of the neighbors had a pit bull that lived in the basement. The owner was a druggie who did little for his dog. We would go down to the basement and toss some food to the dod. Couldnt get to close, because of owner abuse she was mean. Long story short the pit bull had a litter of pups, probably unkown to the owner. The owner went on a bender for the weekend. After a while we noticed the owner wasnt around much, so we went to check on the dog and the pups. When we got down the stairs, the dog was finishing off the last of her pups. she ate the whole litter. We called animal rescue they took the dog. Needless to say when the owner got back we beat him senseless. He moved out that week. Still feel sad for that dog.

Should have tossed him down with the dog.

EarnedStripes44
07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
nothing like smothered rabbit in gravy and onions over a bed of white rice.