View Full Version : More Plover Madness

JoeP
07-05-2008, 08:42 AM
So anyone else try to see that 'Gansett fireworks only to learn that they forgot to properly advertise that they were cancelled because of 2 frigging PP chicks. My wife & tired kids & I enjoyed sitting on the wall for a half hour till we asked the beach rangers what happened... :rocketem:

I hate those birds!

Fireworks postponed due to plovers

01:00 AM EDT on Thursday, July 3, 2008

By Donita Naylor

Journal Staff Writer

NARRAGANSETT — Can you keep the fireworks down, please? The babies are sleeping.
For about the third time in nearly 30 years, the Dunes Club near the Narrow River Inlet is postponing its annual Fourth of July fireworks until two federally protected piping plover chicks are old enough to survive the apocalypse.
Or so it may seem to plovers, ruled so sensitive that the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has closed Moonstone Beach in South Kingstown every summer for the last 20 years to help them avoid extinction.
Fireworks cannot be exploded within three-fourths of a mile of a known plover nest, and two pairs of plovers selected the private beach club on Boston Neck Road to set up housekeeping. One set of chicks has already learned to fly, so they could flee in terror in the event the sky explodes at dusk. But the two chicks of a second pair won’t be ready to fly until July 14.
Until then, biologist Wendy Edwards has to answer to the federal government for every chick, nest, and cage that keeps predators out of the nest, ropes on posts that mark off a nesting site, dog or human track that crosses the roped-off area, any person seen inside the buffer, not to mention every piece of trash, any break in the rope and how many times an illegal pyrotechnic is used nearby.
Edwards, a U.S. Fish & Wildlife plover coordinator, works all year to give plovers an edge on Rhode Island beaches. The tiny birds, which can attain an adult weight of 2 ounces, are able to walk within hours of hatching. They feed on sand fleas and other insects.

spence
07-05-2008, 08:45 AM
I'd consider hiring an attorney :soon:

-spence

baldwin
07-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Need a good recipe?

Pt.JudeJoe
07-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Riddle me this Batman..."How do the wee chicks survive a FRIGGIN THUNDERSTORM!!?"

spence
07-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Riddle me this Batman..."How do the wee chicks survive a FRIGGIN THUNDERSTORM!!?"
Joe, I think this is a good point you should include in your lawsuit.

-spence

Mike P
07-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Actually, I think that this is a very good thing, because until now, the general public hasn't been exposed to, and affected by, the idiocy that surrounds these flipping birds.

The best thing that could happen is for a mating pair to set up a nest right in front of the main pavillion at Scarborough.

maddmatt
07-05-2008, 08:41 PM
its funny. the park service manages to never find a nest on their "paying" beaches. only on the ones that we use. very interesting.........:hang: < death to the park service!!!

afterhours
07-05-2008, 08:48 PM
the wife and i were there .....waiting....waiting... like i did'nt already have ill will toward those little sob's...

JoeP
07-06-2008, 02:42 PM
the wife and i were there .....waiting....waiting... like i did'nt already have ill will toward those little sob's...

Same here Don. I was on the wall with my wife & 3 tired boys till 9:45ish. I was pissed...