View Full Version : But it said so in the book (or I read it on the internet).

PaulS
07-07-2008, 09:40 AM
There have been some excellent books written by fisherman who would out fish me any day of the week, but does every newbie have to replicate everything in the books? Saw a small debate about using rubber tubing on flashlight to tie around your neck. Does the OP have so little originality that he can't use a shoe lace or a piece of string and duct tape? Does he need the exact same size tubing? That's all.

Joe
07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
You can do whatever you want - you can even throw the book out. The tubing displaces the weight of the flashlight whereas a string chafes a little more after a while.

TianaBeachDude
07-07-2008, 10:23 AM
There have been some excellent books written by fisherman who would out fish me any day of the week, but does every newbie have to replicate everything in the books? Saw a small debate about using rubber tubing on flashlight to tie around your neck. Does the OP have so little originality that he can't use a shoe lace or a piece of string and duct tape? Does he need the exact same size tubing? That's all.

IM not sure if I could post a link to a thread on another site but I just took a look at the only thread you could be talking about. I didnt see a debate.

In fact, I didnt see one post worth starting this thread.

Good luck

TBD

likwid
07-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Petzl headlamp.
Stop half a@#$@ing it.

PaulS
07-07-2008, 10:45 AM
IM not sure if I could post a link to a thread on another site but I just took a look at the only thread you could be talking about. I didnt see a debate.

Good luck

TBD

Use some originality.

lurch
07-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Use some originality.

:uhuh:

bart
07-07-2008, 11:33 AM

Good luck

TBD

stick to the BST forums. leave fishing related threads to those that actually do so...

TianaBeachDude
07-07-2008, 12:48 PM
stick to the BST forums. leave fishing related threads to those that actually do so...

I will bet you any plug that I have put in more time than you thus far this season. The judges will be honorable fisherman that have seen us at the surf.

Ready to make the bet?

TBD

By the way, are you from LI? I met a bart the other day.

PaulS
07-07-2008, 01:02 PM
TBD, I wasn't trying to make it personal and thats why the post was here and not there. Wasn't trying to offend you. sorry.

TianaBeachDude
07-07-2008, 01:16 PM
TBD, I wasn't trying to make it personal and thats why the post was here and not there. Wasn't trying to offend you. sorry.

IM not making it personal either. However, I will tell you what my post was about.

I have alotta gear. Up untill yesterday, the only thing i was missing was a neck light. I had a small light I carried around and never got around to doing the surgicle tube thing. The other night, after hoping some rock, I put it in my belt pouch. Somehow, it popped open and fell on the rocks. When I bent over to get it, I fell backwards straight on my ass and scraped my hand.

Guys that have been fishing a long time, have it figured out. Had I (the newbie) spent a little less time buying plugs and just 5 minutes rigging a light on surgicle tube, I woulnt have an akeing ass as I have now.

TBD

JohnR
07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Like Vegas, what happens on the other site stays on the other site :bl:

Having said that, should a NEW discussion be drummed up and discussed in a semi-adult fashion, let 'er rip :claps:

Saltheart
07-07-2008, 02:27 PM
I am really glad that we got a guy with 5 total posts advising another member as to what is worth posting about!

To the question , I think people doing things similar to but not excatly as is recommended in books is one of the big things that leads to eventual improvements to old ideas. So , don't throw away the book but don't be afraid to improve on an idea by trying something similar with a little twist or even totally different that is inspired by the idea in the book being looked at through different eyes. .

Adam_777
07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
I use a headlamp with a white and red lense .What works for me might not work or be acceptable to others.Headlights need a warning sticker."While talking to a friend don't shine it in their eyes" .Operator error gives headlights a bad name.

numbskull
07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
This is the best light I've found so far for controlled use while stumbling around in the rocks http://www.inovalight.com/x.html
I use the small single LCD X1 on a piece of old fly line around my neck. About 25 bucks. Light enough to carry a spare. Don't need to worry about battery usage. Seems pretty waterproof. Broke one that they replaced no hassle. Used head lamps for years but find this much better.

RIROCKHOUND
07-07-2008, 04:47 PM

Who gives a %$%$%$%$?
You've never replicated something read or learned?

And likwid, petzels are nice, but my small pelicans on a string around my neck last forever; one is on at least 6 seasons!...

likwid
07-07-2008, 04:50 PM
And likwid, petzels are nice, but my small pelicans on a string around my neck last forever; one is on at least 6 seasons!...

6 years? cool! Sounds like you've gotten your moneys worth.

My Petzl Myolite has probably 10,000 miles offshore on it along with 4 winters in Maine. :D

RIROCKHOUND
07-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Well your special then :D

OLD GOAT
07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I have been guilty of the old flashlight on a twist rope 5/16" trawl ground line stuck on with duck tape. I HAD A 6" TAG END TAPED SEPERATLY. If i fell in the drink i would have flashlight rope, plug bag strap, wader straps. If needed the flashlight strap could be riped off by breaking the duck tape, leaving the plug bag and wader straps to contend with. I mention this so you can picture yourself with all the straps around your neck. Bottom line,,,stay safe

Skitterpop
07-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Real fisherman don`t need no stinkin lights :devil2:

I like certain types of head lamps with a red light and that can be worn around the neck loosely as well as on a hat.

Can we move on an fight about hook removal tools?

Pete_G
07-07-2008, 08:04 PM
This is the best light I've found so far for controlled use while stumbling around in the rocks http://www.inovalight.com/x.html
I use the small single LCD X1 on a piece of old fly line around my neck. About 25 bucks. Light enough to carry a spare. Don't need to worry about battery usage. Seems pretty waterproof. Broke one that they replaced no hassle. Used head lamps for years but find this much better.

They are really good and genuinely waterproof. You pay a little more but they are very efficient and tough. They get bonus points for being local Rhode Island company.

I've been running a similar rig for several years, right down to the old fly line.

Slipknot
07-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Some of my best fishing has been done in the dark without a light.

gone fishin
07-07-2008, 09:03 PM
:kewl::kewl::cheers2:

I prefer a red light only when necessary. It sort of screws things up when someone flashes white light in your eyes.:bs:

Some of my best fishing has been done in the dark without a light.

redlite
07-07-2008, 09:20 PM
The only true light to use is a 3 cell D-cell or bigger maglite. You can use it to club seals, boo fish, pesky eels, pesky fishermen.......You can hold it well under your arm pit when unhooking thrashing dogfish and it is bright enough that it allows u to look in the water and be able to see the fishes well. Plus it is water proof. Easy to swim with in the wet suit.

Brother Brian
07-08-2008, 07:13 AM
You can use it to club seals, boo fish, pesky eels, pesky fishermen

When clubbing, do you hold the maglite by the end and hit with the lite or by the lite and hit with the end ? Oh, and is it made in China?

Crafty Angler
07-08-2008, 07:29 AM
When clubbing, do you hold the maglite by the end and hit with the lite or by the lite and hit with the end ? Oh, and is it made in China?

Hold it by the lens end - you don't wanna damage it. And it's made in the USA, sort of the poor man's PR-24 :hihi:

likwid
07-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Mag Instruments is a Canadian company.

Saltheart
07-08-2008, 08:15 AM
My Petzl is 11 years old now. Got it at EMS. Cost double what a cheap one was back then but its still going strong after a decade and the batteries last a full season.

i had a red eye (brand name ) light that seamed perfect but it only lasted 1 season. second season it was rusted and ruined.

Raven
07-08-2008, 08:17 AM
better to buy from Canada
they have all the oil in their sand
the Saudi's just have sand
and china has no oil. :)

Duke41
07-08-2008, 08:18 AM
you guys should try fishing from a boat it is a lot easier and relaxing. who wants to be ass deep in saltwater, when you could be gently flipping eels whilst sipping a very dry martini. I use a deck flood light when I am pulling a monster bass over the gunnel the type you surf guys see once in a lifet time while us boat guys chase them around with our fishfinders. I once got my hands wet when picking a 50 pounder up over the rail, ouchy. Anyway when I arrive home warm and dry I have to snicker at you guys. Surfcastings are fishingings plumbers, down, drity and wet, while book fishing is for the more gentile fisherman.

likwid
07-08-2008, 08:23 AM
you guys should try fishing from a boat

SHUT UP THE BOOK SAID... :bl: