View Full Version : Skydiving

Hooper
07-08-2008, 10:35 AM
So, who has done it?

Who should I go see locally say in Mass or Rhode Island? Seems like something I should do before I die.

I'd apprecaite recommendations for good local companies.

Swimmer
07-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I have a buddy of mine who started jumping in Vietnam, because he was ordered to. Why anyone would do this because they wanted to is beyond me.

Just an added observation, my buddy who started at Fort Benning and continued jumping during his service in S'east Asia has a total of 750 jumps to date. He also is under the care of a professional in the mental health field. He is suffering from p.t.s.d. and is suicidal, and loves to jump still, go figure.

Fishpart
07-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Best place to learn is Fort Benning, GA. Beyond that I can't offer any recommendations.

Doesn't take long to realize that falling on the ground hurts!!!

FishermanTim
07-08-2008, 11:15 AM
"why would anyone willingly jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"

Seriously, there is an intense rush felt while falling. I haven't jumped froma plane, but just the sensation of jumping off a 30 foot high bridge into the Saco River was a real rush. I can only imagine that skydiving would be 100+ times more so.

Rockport24
07-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Hooper, my wife and her friends did the one in Newport, she absolutely loved it and said there is an incredible view of the bay. I was there and the guys were real pros and the whole thing went very smoothly.
You wouldn't catch me up there, but my wife is dying to do it again.

hulkyj61
07-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I did the one in Pepperell. Its so much fun. The first few seconds are the best, you just feel like youre not supposed to be still falling, then just as youre "getting used" to the feeling, you yank the chute and it sorta snaps you and the more peaceful part of thr ride begins. Tons of fun. http://www.skyjump.com/. The view is cool, some rolling hills, but going someplace exoctic is next on my list

tynan19
07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Another one is in Orange Ma off Rt. 2. Jumptown USA maybe. Seems most in my area use that one.

niko
07-08-2008, 03:00 PM
i've got 7 jumps under my belt. it's been a long time though. check out a place close to home. most people in the bus are pros but check the place out in person if you can. good luck, have fun. my first jump i thought i was going to poop myself

cheferson
07-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I went from lincoln, they also do it in middletown. Its well worth the money!! The wife and I are going for our one year aniversary.

Hooper
07-08-2008, 07:53 PM
One of my regrets from my service in the Army is I did not go through Airborne school, mostly because when I enlisted, I didn't even know what Airborne meant!

I'm thinking about seeing if there is any interest at work, get a bunch of guys together and have a go at it.

GattaFish
07-08-2008, 08:01 PM
I spend a lot of time in airplanes,,, and unfortunately only two things fall from the sky.......bird $hit and a$$holes....
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Definitely should be on the Bucket list,,,

ktugboat42
07-09-2008, 01:36 AM
I went to the one in Middletown 3 years ago and they were very professional.

Backbeach Jake
07-09-2008, 05:51 AM
Even if everything went well, my pants would be seriously soiled when I landed. Just no thanks..

Mike P
07-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I spend a lot of time in airplanes,,, and unfortunately only two things fall from the sky.......bird $hit and a$$holes....
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Definitely should be on the Bucket list,,,

Me too. I spent some time in planes and never could figure out why anyone would jump out of a perfectly good one. :confused:

By FAA regs, both I and the instructor had to wear chutes when doing certain aerobatic manuevers--neither one of us had even an iota of training in skydiving. We both agreed that in the event of anything less catastrophic than a wing coming off, we'd ride it out and try to crash land.

GattaFish
07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Mike P..... Please don't tell me your a lawyer and fly airplanes,,,,, :shocked::shocked: Just kidding...

At least your not a doctor with a Bonanza ....:rotflmao::rotflmao:

Sorry could not resist,,,,

I am jealous of the aerobatics though,,, nothing but normal maneuvers for me or we will end up with 200 pukers....:yak6::yak6:

:happy::happy::happy:

Hooper
07-09-2008, 04:17 PM
It's funny, I went on the website for that company in Newport and it looked great, until I pulled up this picture, I got dizzy, and my palms started to sweat and my stomach got all knotted up! :grins:

Mike P
07-09-2008, 08:09 PM
At least your not a doctor with a Bonanza ....:rotflmao::rotflmao:

The Beech Bonanza, aka "The Forked Tail Doctor Killer" :biglaugh:

Raven
07-09-2008, 08:16 PM
try helium balloons & lawn chair
for 2 grand ..... you'll
have a ride that makes all the prep work
worth while

justplugit
07-09-2008, 08:39 PM
It's funny, I went on the website for that company in Newport and it looked great, until I pulled up this picture, I got dizzy, and my palms started to sweat and my stomach got all knotted up! :grins:

LOL. Hoop before you do it check out the old episode of "Cheers", when Norm and the gang went up together to jump.

Still laugh when i think of Ted Dansen yelling out of the plane to the first jumper as he fell, asking -- "is it scarey?????." :hihi:

Katie
07-09-2008, 08:51 PM
I know up at Umass Lowell they have a center up there for skydiving. Heard its pretty good.

Raider Ronnie
07-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Sky diving is ok.
Muff diving is much more fun !
:eyes:

Hooper
07-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Muff diving is much more fun !
:eyes:

:biglaugh: "We dive at five"