View Full Version : Storm Question????

LuaP73
11-06-2002, 12:40 PM
My buddy just called me and was asking me if it was ok to take shellfish that wash up on a local beach because of the storm? I guess that there alot of giant clams and a few lobster trying to get back in the water. He wants me to come down after the tide tonight to collect a feast! But I dont know about it???????? I like to go by the rules. But I dont know the rules about this matter. does anyone have any info on this matter? I would really appreciate it.........

P.S I still might go down tommorow and collect some of the dead clams for bait ( Ill freeze them) is this ok also????????

Scotch Bonnet
11-06-2002, 05:00 PM
I don't think it matters how you get them as long as you abide by your states size and quantity limits. I know in RI you can't snorkle for clams but it doesn't say anything about shellfish washing up on shore.

bloocrab
11-07-2002, 12:15 AM
Quoting the R.I. DEM website...

"Rhode Island "residents" need no license to engage in recreational shellfishing.

A "resident" is defined as "an individual who has had his or her actual place of residence and has lived in the State of Rhode Island for a continuous period of not less than six (6) months." RIGL § 20-1-3.

...and this is from the MA. DEM website...

"Recreational Shellfishing is permitted in designated clean areas and regulated by the individual Towns. Contact your Town department of Natural Resources for local regulations and permit acquisition."

but in the case of lobsters, YES - you do need a license regardless..

LuaP73
11-07-2002, 06:12 AM
Thanks guys but im not in Rhode Island. I should have been more clear im in Massachucetts. So Does anybody know the Mass laws?? Thank you

hooked
11-07-2002, 09:09 AM
From the Mass DMF site:

http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/ProgramsAndProjects/Shelsani.htm#shellfisheries

"In Massachusetts, the cities and towns manage the shellfisheries in all waters within their boundaries that are not closed by MarineFisheries for public health reasons, with the exception of the commercial harvest of surf clams and ocean quahogs that remain under state control."

bloocrab
11-07-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by LuaP73
So Does anybody know the Mass laws?? Thank you

...ummm.....didn't you read the second part of my post??

...regulated by the individual Towns...

:)

LuaP73
11-07-2002, 10:34 AM
OOPS!! sorry bloo gues the other reply got jammed in my head:smash: Thank you