View Full Version : South Shore/Rigged eels

Springer
07-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Does anyone know if any shops on the South Shore (MA) sell prerigged eels. I will be visiting the area in a week and if I decide to forgo plugs and throw some real meat I was hoping to avoid having to rig them myself.

Thanks

Saltheart
07-10-2008, 08:10 AM
I've never seen rigged eels for sale. Its a do it yourself thing.

Springer
07-10-2008, 08:19 AM
I see. Shops down my way sell them rigged, so I thought maybe some up there did as well. I do my own normally but figured on a short trip I could save myself the effort.

Thanks

RIROCKHOUND
07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Buy live eels.

luds
07-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Buy live eels.

yeah, that should work. Belsan Bait and Tackle in Scituate has the best eels on the south shore and usually has plenty.

DZ
07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
How much do you think I could charge for a fully rigged eel? Based on the price of rigged sluggos and wood plugs plus the labor of rigging I could charge $10-15 each? My eels are guarranteed... to catch bluefish. New market?

DZ

steve
07-11-2008, 09:44 AM
DZ- At least 20 dollars per. Believe it or not there was a shop in Long Island that sold rigged eels. That was about 10 years ago and I think he was getting 12 or 13 dollars back then.

Saltheart
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I know once I rig them , I'm not selling them. Too much gag factor involved to sell them once finished.

Best all time striper Lure IMO. better than live eels because you can really rip them to cast them , extra hooks results in lots of foul hooking on a bump , you can freeze and thaw and refreeze and rethaw many times, will last for many fish assuming none have razor lips , eels are free assuming you fish a live one til it dies. Anyway , many benfits that make them better than a live one IMO.

BW from AZ
07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
How much do you think I could charge for a fully rigged eel? Based on the price of rigged sluggos and wood plugs plus the labor of rigging I could charge $10-15 each? My eels are guarranteed... to catch bluefish. New market?

DZ

Guarranteed to catch fish "or die trying":rotf2:

Cranium
07-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Jason, Belsans has some very big eels that I will skin, before you come up. That is if I remember to take them out of the durango. That poor truck is rotting from the inside out.

Does anyone know of a link/thread/site that shows how to rig an eel with pics? I have read how to do it, but I am a visual type of guy.

Springer
07-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Jason, Belsans has some very big eels that I will skin, before you come up.

Thanks Mark, I figure I can fish them live, just so much less hassle once their rigged, and you just throw them in the freezer when you are done until the next outing.

That is if I remember to take them out of the durango. That poor truck is rotting from the inside out.

Well if you let them get free they certainly will have plenty of places to hide amongst the pile of plugs I saw last time I took a look in your truck