View Full Version : Beaches closed yesterday...GW sighting

Mr. Sandman
07-11-2008, 05:45 AM
http://www.mvtimes.com/2008/07/10/news/edgartown-shark-sightings.php

I mentioned before that if this seal protection issue keeps up it is just a matter of time before Southern New England has a real "Jaws" situation on hand. It appears we are getting close. Maybe in the next couple years.

bart
07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
saw it on CNN this morning.

Rockport24
07-11-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm confused, is the whole thing a hoax or just this one sighting?

Rockport24
07-11-2008, 03:36 PM
too bad, I was going to get on the boat with Quint :rocketem:

Mr. Sandman
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I think there was a single legit sighting from a plane off south beach but several others jumped on the wagon....and saw them all around the island.

I don't know about the GW population but there are plenty of sharks around close to the shore. Just take a boat around the island on a calm day, you'll see them.

If there was a GW off of State Beach I would be there in less than 5 min swimming live a bluefish off my newZeeBaas

BigFish
07-11-2008, 03:56 PM
"What about the shark Chief?":eyes:

BassDawg
07-11-2008, 04:04 PM
what's the big hub-bub??

GreatWhite's gotts ta eat toooo!
:jump: :jump:

just doan be there when they dooooo!!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

mutha natcha has a funny way of working
this over abundance of sealzzz thing out.
good call,,,,,,,,,,,,Mr Sandman, GOOD call!

maybe by two migrations we'll be back to
"normal" and the sea lions will have been
naturally selected from nuisance to negligent.
:jump: :jump:

hardbait
07-11-2008, 08:10 PM
more whites out there than people want to believe.ask roy who has one on video off chatam with a friend of ours who is a guide out of larrys on the vineyard, seen another this year. lots of seals lots of sharks

flyben24
07-11-2008, 08:18 PM
there certainly is plenty of seals on the island..... wouldn't be suprised if there are a few great whites cruisin around

fumifish
07-11-2008, 10:03 PM
found a bass head that looked awfully strange... half a bass... i should have took a pic..

likwid
07-12-2008, 05:55 AM
If there was a GW off of State Beach I would be there in less than 5 min swimming live a bluefish off my newZeeBaas

You like being fined and having your boat seized?

Mr. Sandman
07-12-2008, 06:05 AM
First, I was kidding (mostly)

But, name one case where that has happen.

If you did hook a GW and released it or it broke off I doubt any charges would be brought or boats would be seized.

Didn't mundus bring in a GW? Did they seize his boat?

BasicPatrick
07-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Come on Roy...Grab the meat stick and let's go...I'll buy the Bait!!!!!!!!

tomfrmnh
07-12-2008, 06:34 AM
"Hoopah drives the boat chief....."

likwid
07-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Didn't mundus bring in a GW? Did they seize his boat?

Not after they went on the endangered list.

Anyhow the sum total of the fight would be: either fish picks up bluefish, bites right through your leader and never notices you were even there or fish picks up bluefish, one tail thump, all your line is gone, the end. Grats you just left a fish trailing 300 someodd yards of braid or mono. Or the fish would look at you and laugh at your puny ZB.

mackenzie
07-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Last December I was in a jewelry store on the South Shore when a guy came in looking to have some GW teeth mounted for necklaces. They were the ones that fell out while drying the jaws. Claimed to have caught it off Chatham around Thanksgiving. Guess the endangered list did'nt hold much water with him.

Hooper
07-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Last December I was in a jewelry store on the South Shore when a guy came in looking to have some GW teeth mounted for necklaces. They were the ones that fell out while drying the jaws. Claimed to have caught it off Chatham around Thanksgiving. Guess the endangered list did'nt hold much water with him.

I don't doubt that happened Mac, but I feel pretty comfortable saying nobody took home a white from Chatham last year, or any other recent year for that matter. I would not believe that until I saw it.

Elmo
07-12-2008, 10:24 AM
I was on the Vineyard with the family the week before the 4th and there was a seal body washed up just south of the lighthouse in Edgartown. Did not get close enough myself (smell was to bad) but a woman who's dog decided to roll in it, (what are dogs thinking when they do this), said it looked to only be half a seal!

Maybe with the shark tournament someone hooks a GW for proof although I know they fish 50-100 miles off the island.

HookLine&Sinker
07-12-2008, 11:18 AM
there certainly is plenty of seals on the island..... wouldn't be suprised if there are a few great whites cruisin around

have fun swimming benny:p, i'll miss playin with you on rainbow six:crying:

likwid
07-12-2008, 11:20 AM

You believe everything you hear?