View Full Version : going to cuttyhunk

btycro
07-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Me and my girlfriend are taking a trip to cuttyhunk in about two weeks. Staying at the fishing club and I am looking for some advice so I can get down with some bass and blues. Never been there before but have been reading up as much as possible. Any advice is welcome, gonna be fishing primarily between dusk till dawn. Thanks in advance.:jump1:

BigFish
07-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Bring topwater....pencils, polaris, spook type plugs and go to town! Also needlefish plugs....good night or day!:happy: Good luck!

redcrbbr
07-12-2008, 12:15 AM
practice walking on bowling balls.

take your time when walking and enjoy the scenery. you can catch fish almost anywhere.

JohnR
07-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Fish higher tides; eels plugs, sluggos.

If mostly fishing, work that south side, if mostly hanging with the wife and sneaking out in the dark, fish closer to the club

baldwin
07-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Pencil poppers for daylight, Dannies, needlefish, and sluggos for night. Fish with the wind in your face.

steve
07-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Btycro, Cutty is a great place. Try west end at low light or after dark. Live eelws are tops with rigged eels and black Sluggos a close second. If it's not blowing too hard southwest, the entire south side can be excellent. Concentrate after dark instead of daytime as you'll burn yourself out looking for dinks and bluefish during htat time. If you must ,try pencils , Rebel jumping minnows and skin plugs when the sun's out. Also, bring a canteen of water or juice with you- alot of walking- and bug juice. I'd also take a wet suit over waders if you have one . Good luck.

PaulS
07-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Notice no said darters, bucktails - don't bother. Everything mentioned was topwater. If the girlfriend doesn't fish, she might be bored. Good luck.

Zeno
07-12-2008, 06:03 PM
I am not sure if I would go without a darter....biggest fish on plugs that we had two weeks ago (both in 20's) were on SS white darters. Biggest fish on eel skin plugs I had was ....5lb. I cant make this stuff up if I wanted. I'll agree on the bucktail but only because I never fished there on a hard sw blow. Then again ,from what I been told ,hard sw is not very productive. If you looking for a big fish leave plugs in the club and take eels. Chances are this time of the year you'll have light winds at night and by using live eels it will force you to do nothing else. I can honestly tell you I am never ,ever going there without a wetsuit and rigged eels.
Danny's are good but overrated ,slug go and needlefish much better choice. If I was with da wife I wouldn't even bother ,before she is a sleep :hang:

steve
07-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Right on Zeno. I would never ever fish Cutty in waders again!

pbadad
07-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Other than getting further out is there another reason why you wouldn't fish Cutty in waders? How bout at the top of the high tides?

pbadad
07-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Zeno, do you prefer to use riggies on the higher tides and livees at all stages? I'm thinking of using more riggies when i go out in Sept. and not deal w/ livees.

steve
07-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Wet suit is much more comfortable than waders and use live or rigged eels anytime. Lots of walking on cutty.

Nebe
07-13-2008, 02:18 PM
right under the ferry dock with hot dogs. cut them into medalions and you will have bergals on every cast. the IFGA record is 4 lbs on 2 lb test.

Thats my target when I am out there.. you guys can have the bass...

Zeno
07-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Zeno, do you prefer to use riggies on the higher tides and livees at all stages? I'm thinking of using more riggies when i go out in Sept. and not deal w/ livees.

I don't use live...no reason other then personal preference

numbskull
07-13-2008, 06:51 PM
If you looking for a big fish leave plugs in the club and take eels.

Probably also worth mentioning that at least one 60lb fish on Cutty was taken on a needle (or so I understand). Didn't it supposedly come from the barges? That's pretty shallow and distance is a factor. I wonder if an eel (even with a wetsuit) would have taken that fish.

afterhours
07-13-2008, 07:34 PM
this 39#er ate a plug.....

Pete F.
07-13-2008, 10:50 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=31921&highlight=cuttyhunk+plugs
This thread might help

PaulS
07-14-2008, 08:20 AM
I can honestly tell you I am never ,ever going there without a wetsuit and rigged eels.

Rigged eels session on the front lawn in Sept. at cutty:humpty:

Slipknot
07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Rigged eels session on the front lawn in Sept. at cutty:humpty:

:bl: :hihi:

now where can I get a NIB size wetsuit? :think:

Grampy
07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
this 39#er ate a plug.....

Good fish but also a great photo - nice lighting and background

afterhours
07-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Good fish but also a great photo - nice lighting and background

photo by tlapinski.

PaulS
07-15-2008, 06:53 AM
:bl: :hihi:

now where can I get a NIB size wetsuit? :think:

pick one up for me. Rigged eels, wetsuits - all we need is a rock big enough for you, me and Z:rotf3:

likwid
07-15-2008, 08:57 AM
right under the ferry dock with hot dogs. cut them into medalions and you will have bergals on every cast. the IFGA record is 4 lbs on 2 lb test.

Thats my target when I am out there.. you guys can have the bass...

Squid under the fish house dock lights. :hihi:

btycro
07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks so far for all of the suggestions. trip is going to be sick. Thanks!!