View Full Version : Striper Cup 2008

Back Beach
07-15-2008, 10:02 AM
I like the way things have shaped up so far with regard to the shore/boat conversion. Although S-B is in a distant 5th right now, OTW has done a good job of leveling the field IMO

I would like to hear other people's thoughts on the tourney with regard to the leveling of the field and fairness of competition.

Please, no anti fish kill posts, save it for another thread. :rtfm:

Circlehook
07-15-2008, 10:21 AM
I makes sense that the Jersey teams took early leads. I think they did the same last year, but faded as the season heated up up here.

Is the leveling saying that the skill of landing a 51 1/2 lb bass from a boat is equal to a 44lb from shore? Or is it meant to say that the opportunity for a 51 1/2 is equal to the chance for a 44lb from shore? I think I just don't understand what the formula is to reflect.

BTW, the guy with a 51from a boat is in third place on his team, behind two 40's caught from shore.

The Dad Fisherman
07-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Or is it meant to say that the opportunity for a 51 1/2 is equal to the chance for a 44lb from shore?

That is the rationale behind it.....

Back Beach
07-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Is the leveling saying that the skill of landing a 51 1/2 lb bass from a boat is equal to a 44lb from shore? Or is it meant to say that the opportunity for a 51 1/2 is equal to the chance for a 44lb from shore? I think I just don't understand what the formula is to reflect.

I would call it opportunity/probability, not skill. There is a degree of skill involved too. Anyone can catch one 40, 50, 60# fish from shore or boat, but I feel the tourney rewards consistency in addition to the one hit wonders.

BMEUPSCOTTY
07-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I'll bet they keep the same multiplier next year, seems to be about right. Three out of the top 5 teams have weighed 100% shore bass, but 2 out of the top 3 teams have weighed a majority of boat fish.

luds
08-02-2008, 02:16 PM
We need to step it up. It will take a 42# average to pass team striper with there current top 10 and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they continue to build on that impressive score.

BMEUPSCOTTY
08-02-2008, 02:25 PM
It's been a while since they have updated...wondering if redlite and professor M weighed their recent catches... of course who knows what the other teams have done lately. No worries, those two north shore guys will bail us out like last year.http://www.vocinelweb.it/faccine/biggrin/11.gifhttp://www.justforfunboard.com/gfx/smileys/goodluck.gif

livinit
08-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Not too many of you know me, my name is Matt and I'm from the Vineyard. I'd like to say many of you have some great opinions and suggestions and I enjoy this forum.

I'm a shore fisherman and and the majority of the guys on my team are boat fisherman and half of them are commerical fisherman, but I still would like to see OTW seperate boat and shore. I don't believe there will ever be a fair way to balance shore and boat caught fish. The 1.2 is better than 1.3 or no handicap at all, but having two seperate Striper Cups is the best and fair way to go. Being a surfcaster, I'd rather compete against other surfcasters.

The MV Derby has been at this a lot longer and they understand the complexity and vast difference to boat and shore fisherman and that is why there is a seperation in every category of the Derby. But for now, this is what we have.

The most frustrating element to OTW is the updating of the website and the fact that they are not tougher on the weigh stations. There should be no reason why the Striper Cup staff is receiving weigh slips from 3 weeks ago. The weigh stations either have to have a fax machine and fax those weigh slips in at the end of each day AND/OR they need to be mailed out (post markerd) every Monday morning. If they do not comply with those guidelines then they should lose their privilege to being a Striper Cup weigh station. OTW needs to take many of those dollars they are making on advertising and hire some summer kids and help tally the weigh slips, they are under staffed. I have spoken with Will at OTW and he is having a difficult time tallying all the weigh slips, especially for angler of the year. OTW needs polite, constructive criticism and better cooperation from many of these unorganized weigh stations. I don't know if I'll fish the striper cup next year because I find myself thinking more about catching a big fish to help my team than I do about fishing. That's my problem though. Take care all.

NIB
08-02-2008, 09:39 PM
I makes sense that the Jersey teams took early leads. I think they did the same last year, but faded as the season heated up up here.

BTW, the guy with a 51from a boat is in third place on his team, behind two 40's caught from shore.

We did not fade they passed us..It is different.S-B had some quality fish weighed in the later part of the season that pretty much did us in..They did well.
As far as th 51 in second..it's really of no importance.There is not a competition between team mates.
Plus They are not just 2 forty's a 44 and 48..
Two very impressive shore caught fish...I would think the number of shore landed fish in the mid to high forties is less than 50 lb boat fish..By quite a bit..IMO.I think Ur basic lack of the opportunity and the difficulty in landing em are the main factors..

I think the 1.2 multiplier is fair..

NIB
08-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Not too many of you know me, my name is Matt and I'm from the Vineyard.

Hi Matt..

NIB
08-02-2008, 09:53 PM
One of the things I have a problem with is the inablity to Shore AND Boat fish.. You have to sign up as one or the other.

Slipknot
08-02-2008, 10:14 PM
One of the things I have a problem with is the inablity to Shore AND Boat fish.. You have to sign up as one or the other.

I don't like that either and have not entered the tourney the last 2 year after entering the first year.

good luck to everyone

:pats:

Back Beach
08-03-2008, 04:28 AM

I actually like it. It helps keep the honest people honest.
What should be better monitored are the heavy fish being weighed in. If a fish may possibly qualify for weekly, monthly or big $$ prizes, it should be inspected very closely if you know what I mean. I've already heard allegations of fish stuffing. I obviously can't prove it, nor would I pursue the issue any further than in this post. Whenever there’s a prize involved, the temptation to push the envelope presents itself to some.
Livinit makes some very good points about the MV Derby, but remember OTW is a much bigger tourney with countless weigh stations. The staffs at these stations are of different capabilities and experience.
The MV derby has the same expert staff in place each year and only two weigh stations I know of, thus quality control is better.

flyben24
08-03-2008, 07:46 AM
The MV derby deffinitly needs more weigh stations... especially up island

JohnR
08-03-2008, 08:09 AM

There's no fish up island :grins:

Hi NIB :wavey:

I wish you could fish boat and shore (and really separate divisions) but toooo many people would abuse it. Wonder how much cheating goes on as it is.

Mike P
08-03-2008, 11:11 AM

You can get to Edgartown in less than a half hour from anywhere on the Island.

The fairest way to run any tournament is to have everyone use the same scale. You won't find two scales where both are accurate to 1/100th of a pound.

I've weighed the same fish on as many as three different "certified" scales and come up with three diffeent weights--sometimes more than a pound difference.

Diggin Jiggin
08-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Mike,
Which shops scale ran the heaviest ?? :hee:

ProfessorM
08-03-2008, 11:35 AM
We need to step it up. It will take a 42# average to pass team striper with there current top 10 and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they continue to build on that impressive score.

They will. I guess i should have weighed in a couple of fish i got the last 2 weeks, both over 42, in the boat but figured if they weren't 50 lbs it wouldn't really matter. I was lazy and tired and I guess uninformed:read: so I said screw it. Next time.

ivanputski
08-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I feel sick to my stomach every time I hear the words "striper cup" and its my own fault... I kept putting off signing up, and was going to in early june for the surf... figuring my big fish would come in the fall.... NOPE. May 31, 10:00 pm, I get a 43.10 pounder, which if you check the results, would give me the fish of the month for may, winning me a much needed Van staal reel, and put me in the drawing for an even more needed new truck... This will haunt me people...

Redsoxticket
08-03-2008, 12:33 PM
^ would not matter, life would have taken a different path if you signed up

Back Beach
08-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I feel sick to my stomach every time I hear the words "striper cup" and its my own fault... I kept putting off signing up, and was going to in early june for the surf... figuring my big fish would come in the fall.... NOPE. May 31, 10:00 pm, I get a 43.10 pounder, which if you check the results, would give me the fish of the month for may, winning me a much needed Van staal reel, and put me in the drawing for an even more needed new truck... This will haunt me people...

That's too bad. In exchange for your slip up, I'm sending you a virtual "Polish Hammer!" :laugha:

luds
08-03-2008, 01:36 PM
They will. I guess i should have weighed in a couple of fish i got the last 2 weeks, both over 42, in the boat but figured if they weren't 50 lbs it wouldn't really matter. I was lazy and tired and I guess uninformed:read: so I said screw it. Next time.

c'mon Paul. We need you. I also need some conrads. :hee:

numbskull
08-03-2008, 02:25 PM

You caught a 43 pound fish from the surf and it turns into a negative? Something in that to think about.

Mike P
08-03-2008, 02:29 PM

I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't, since Sea Dangles had a 44 in May.

Mike P
08-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Mike,
Which shops scale ran the heaviest ?? :hee:

C to the third power ;)

Sea Dangles
08-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Not to mention finding a weigh station before midnight on the 31st. of May.

FishTwoO
08-03-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree with livinit ,greater accountability from and by weigh stations would be a plus.I also think the tournament should have two levels,professional and amatuer.That's where I think the desparity is.Charter guys and commercials competing against recreational guys for the same prizes??Also think you should have to be present at the award ceremony to be eligible for a prize.It's a young tournament I look forward to it's improvement.

ivanputski
08-03-2008, 05:35 PM
redsox is probably right... if I had signed up, it would probably seal my fate of a season of schoolies... At least my Father is a first class taxidermist, and I am apprenticing with him and will have this fish on my wall... After it all, I cant bring myself to enter after the fact... what are the chances of another mid-forty fish this season... I mean, I only go surf-fishing 5 hours a night 6 nights a week.... still cant bring myself to sign up after the fact... Regardless of the spilled milk, Tournaments and prizes arent the reason I fish... I won my grand prize already that night.

SAUERKRAUT
08-03-2008, 10:18 PM
[ I don't know if I'll fish the striper cup next year because I find myself thinking more about catching a big fish to help my team than I do about fishing. That's my problem though.}

Do I detect from your above statement that you are evolving? I stopped fishing even your Derby because I questioned if I needed the lure of prize, notoriety, or competition to make me fish. I did not; as I was out there around the calendar. Then I started to resent the crowds who would now show ONLY then, and mercifully be gone the day it ended.

This OTW Striper Cup/Team/Tournament thing is Bull: the killing of more of these big fish than you would otherwise want or eat..."for the team". And your Derby: how about knocking off a mediocre bass or blue because the fishing is maybe poor, and you may have a blindman shot at the Daily, or worse yet...the "Mystery" Prize?

Do you recall, Mr. Malowski, an old sour kraut out at Norton's one fine summer evening two years ago?

Bonds.

FishTwoO
08-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Resent the crowds?There was a day when I could go pogying in my favorite spot and not see another boat.The other day I counted 15 boats there.Seems as though the crowds started to emerge about three years ago?Sauerkraut you're not the only one who feels the way you do.

Circlehook
08-04-2008, 10:56 AM
redsox is probably right... if I had signed up, it would probably seal my fate of a season of schoolies... At least my Father is a first class taxidermist, and I am apprenticing with him and will have this fish on my wall... After it all, I cant bring myself to enter after the fact... what are the chances of another mid-forty fish this season... I mean, I only go surf-fishing 5 hours a night 6 nights a week.... still cant bring myself to sign up after the fact... Regardless of the spilled milk, Tournaments and prizes arent the reason I fish... I won my grand prize already that night.

I'd say with 30 hrs a week during the season, your chances are better than most at another 40+.

livinit
08-04-2008, 12:04 PM
[ I don't know if I'll fish the striper cup next year because I find myself thinking more about catching a big fish to help my team than I do about fishing. That's my problem though.}

Do I detect from your above statement that you are evolving? I stopped fishing even your Derby because I questioned if I needed the lure of prize, notoriety, or competition to make me fish. I did not; as I was out there around the calendar. Then I started to resent the crowds who would now show ONLY then, and mercifully be gone the day it ended.

This OTW Striper Cup/Team/Tournament thing is Bull: the killing of more of these big fish than you would otherwise want or eat..."for the team". And your Derby: how about knocking off a mediocre bass or blue because the fishing is maybe poor, and you may have a blindman shot at the Daily, or worse yet...the "Mystery" Prize?

Do you recall, Mr. Malowski, an old sour kraut out at Norton's one fine summer evening two years ago?

Bonds.

Cool . . . my first stalker:biglaugh: Just kidding sauerkraut. Sorry I don't remember. I meet a lot of people on the beach and gathering from the sign on my truck that was a few years ago.

I like fishing tournaments because sometimes it pushes me to go on nights where I may be persuaded to stay home and I also like competition being that I played sports my entire life. But when things are left to the honor system in a sport where "honor" is sometimes hard to come by I question why I sign up for fishing tournaments. Most fisherman (if not all) are full of balarny.

The Derby has one weigh station that is open two times a day and I wasn't comparing the Derby to the Striper Cup with the weigh-in process, rather the seperation of boat and shore. I would like the Striper Cup a hell of a lot more if I was only competing within the same weight class. I was a wrestler in high school and the way the Striper Cup is set up I am wrestling a guy 100 pounds heavier than me with one hand tied behind his back.

SAUERKRAUT
08-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I respect, appreciate, and accept all of your viewpoints even if they may be different from my own.

Bonds to all who love 'em enough to release them...even though you may miss out on a "Daily" or "Mystery" Prize...or any recognition at all.