View Full Version : PISSED OFF!!!!!

BigFish
07-15-2008, 07:15 PM
So remember that accident I had a few weeks ago? WELL! Get a check in the mail from the insurance company for a paltry $1,200.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF I scream!!!! Now.....I know a couple auto body guys are on here......how much to repair this damage??? Needs a new bumper (its twisted) probably brackets underneath, a new tail light assembly, bodywork and paint as you see the dent and scrapes and the gap between the rear quarter and tail gate has closed and it needs to be restored to original by pulling it back out a bit!!! Body shop I showed it to where I want to get the work done says 5 days to fix it!! So can anyone give me their professional insight.....cause tomorrow morning I am tearing someone a new frickin a$$hole! Now I gotta jump through hoops to get my damn truck fixed.......this amount is only 1/3 of the cost by my estimation.....plus I have to get a rental vehicle and thats gonna be another frickin nightmare and I WAS NOT IN THE VEHICLE WHEN IT GOT HIT!!!!!!:realmad::realmad::realmad::cens::cens::c ens::cens::fury::fury::fury:

JohnR
07-15-2008, 07:28 PM
$2100

BigFish
07-15-2008, 07:31 PM
My guess is $3500 bucks not including a rental for the time its getting fixed!!! Just an example....my front bumper was backed into awhile ago.......just the bumper.....no sheetmetal or grill damage....just the bumper and the necessary mounting brackets......$1200!!!!!!!! THIS is only $1200??????

BigFish
07-15-2008, 07:56 PM
My own damn insurance co?!?!?!?! I will not cash it! Far as I am concerned they are trying to get out cheap and if I cash the check they will say it was a binding contract accepted by me upon cashing the check?!?!?!?! I will be calling them tomorrow!!:af::af::af::af:

BlackBeard
07-15-2008, 07:56 PM
$1200 That's insulting. From the sound of it, that wouldn't even cover the parts.

BigFish
07-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Oh! And when I went to my ins. co. adjuster the guy hands me a sheet with the "recommended" body shops on it!!!! Bull Shiiiit I tell the guy....its going to the body shop of my choice!!!! Its up to me where it goes!!!

GattaFish
07-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Larry,

What they are doing is paying you for the paint and light and basically acting like you can live with the bumper the way it is,,,,,

I got $900 for a couple small dents in my truck from a hail storm not to long ago,,, I never saw the adjuster. He came out, looked at my truck, then sent me a check a few days later,,,, Guess I was lucky,,,

Raven
07-15-2008, 08:11 PM
then add those 5 together and divide by 5

that's your cost of repairs on average

now i know your angry...

but try and channel it larry, if you can?

because the stress your generating is

seriously bad for your health man...

and it'll manifest itself in other ways...

i always remember a saying my mother would say...

you attract alot more flies with honey than vinegar. :grins:

BigFish
07-15-2008, 08:13 PM
We all have to die of something Raven, stress maybe.....but I can guarantee you I will not die from going to 5 different body shops!!!! You think I have time for that BS!!!! I got 1 body shop I am going to and that is the end of the story!!! Its up to them and my insurance company to hammer it out!!!

Raven
07-15-2008, 08:18 PM
but its a certainty and inevitable

the thing you try and control is the "when"

minimize your stress levels in all situations...

PM sent....

BigFish
07-15-2008, 08:19 PM
The sooner it takes me the better off I will be! I am just afraid I will be in "Insurance Company Pergatory"!!!

Slingah
07-15-2008, 08:40 PM
holy geez....this grump is a real humdinger :err:

Raider Ronnie
07-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Larry,
Calm down !!!
A few more details please .

Was the truck looked at in a shop or at your house by the ins co appraiser ???
What shop is fixing the truck? Best Chevy ???

Redsoxticket
07-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Don't worry Larry, it will be fixed for the price it cost.
The body shop will call the adjuster and both will agree on a price. Look at cost breakdown and request genuine parts before giving them your OK. Been there done that. The insurance agents are on your side. Everything will work out.

BigFish
07-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Best Chevy! My insurance co. sent me to their adjuster! Body shop had a look at it at Best but gave no estimate as yet!

Raider Ronnie
07-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Larry,
Best will most likely write whats called a "Supplement"
You should have brought the truck to the shop where I work!!!
A dealer body shop with "flat rate " techs is the last place I would go to !
My cousin's husband (Larry) has been the parts manager for 25+ years @ Best, and he would say the same !

spence
07-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Is there betterment involved?

-spence

Slipknot
07-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Larry, listen to Ronnie

and calm down

get estimate in writing and don't accept anything less plus rental. seems simple to me.

and put a bug in your agents ear while your at it

Squid kids Dad
07-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Larry..How do you know its going to cost more??Are you a licensed appraiser??? lol..1st off calm down...Just because you have received a check for the initial amount doesnt mean that is the final amount..You have the right to bring your truck to whatever body shop you choose..Decide on a shop,bring it there along with your insurance appraisal and the shop will then negotiate with your insurance company a final cost and repair the truck accordingly...No problem..This happens all the time..Believe me..I have been doing it for 20 years..
By the way..If truck has less than 20,000 miles all OEM PARTS must be used..
Its just a process that has to be followed..

BigFish
07-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Question Mike: Why did they send ME a check??

Raider Ronnie
07-16-2008, 05:11 AM
Larry,
They sent you a check because thats the process like Mike said.
The check is for the amount of the original estimate the appraiser wrote.
most likely less the deductible amount .
They will write a supplement for the additional repairs and there will be a 2nd check sent.
Just about EVERY job we fix there is a supplement involved, lots of times 2 or 3 of them !!!

Squid kids Dad
07-16-2008, 05:12 AM

Because that is what they have initially decided how much its going to cost to repair...Just because you recieved a check it doesnt mean that thats the end of of the claim.The 1st check always goes to the owner of the vehicle...Once at the shop they will call for a supplement if need be,and the company will issue an additional check
I'll PM my # ..

Raider Ronnie
07-16-2008, 05:19 AM
[QUOTE=Squid kids Dad;605220]Because that is what they have initially decided how much its going to cost to repair...Just because you recieved a check it doesnt mean that thats the end of of the claim.The 1st check always goes to the owner of the vehicle...Once at the shop they will call for a supplement if need be,

"if need be" :laughs::laughs::laughs:
Spoken like an insurance co employee !!!

UserRemoved1
07-16-2008, 05:57 AM
man Larry you got two of the best body guys around on here RONNIE AND FREAK. Take it to them :spam:

COMMERCE INSURANCE. Best I've ever had.

Squid kids Dad
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM
:p:hidin:[QUOTE=Squid kids Dad;605220]Because that is what they have initially decided how much its going to cost to repair...Just because you recieved a check it doesnt mean that thats the end of of the claim.The 1st check always goes to the owner of the vehicle...Once at the shop they will call for a supplement if need be,

"if need be" :laughs::laughs::laughs:
Spoken like an insurance co employee !!!

BigFish
07-16-2008, 07:50 AM
No deductible...its a no fault as I was not in the vehicle. I need this crap right now like I need a hole in the head!:hs:

likwid
07-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Commerce :hihi:

Being pissed off is better than being pissed on.

fishbones
07-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Be careful, Larry. You keep typing like this and you'll have a broken exclamation point key to go along with your broken truck. And if you think auto insurance people are tough to deal with, try calling a computer help line.

justplugit
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Prolly just buff right out. :hidin: :D

Sorree Larry, just couldn't resist. :)

Another bump in the road. :(

Swimmer
07-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Auto-Tec in Whitman is probably closer tha Best. If you have a rental coming they would have taken care of that for you. They give so much business to the car rental place down the street they send pizza's and cold drinks all the time to the garage crew. Mikey will help you out.

Grapenuts
07-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Just remember one thing Larry..if you take your truck to a repair shop thats not on their list and your shop says 4,000.00 to fix and insur. says 3,000.00 ..guess who's footing the difference..you! out of pocket.

Raider Ronnie
07-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Just remember one thing Larry..if you take your truck to a repair shop thats not on their list and your shop says 4,000.00 to fix and insur. says 3,000.00 ..guess who's footing the difference..you! out of pocket.

WRONG !!!
I've been doing this for 30 years as a tech and am a Ma licensed appraiser , I know the laws trust me !

Squid kids Dad
07-16-2008, 06:30 PM
WRONG !!!
I've been doing this for 30 years as a tech and am a Ma licensed appraiser , I know the laws trust me !

Ronnie is right..100%....If needed...:hihi: It will not cost a dime to Larry as long as there is no betterment involved and by looking at the picture there will be none...Nobody likes insurance companys because of all these false statements..

Grapenuts
07-16-2008, 08:50 PM
WRONG !!!

then I guess I shouldn't trust my insurance agent [wife]. I'll go out and tell her shes a liar. ..far to many fine lines in this game of apraisels..insurance co's and bodyshops which are all out to screw the public...and don't tell me there's no "it's who you know"to get things covered or have things changed to benifit the friends/family on the inside....I've seen it first hand...the whole system stinks.

Raider Ronnie
07-16-2008, 09:19 PM
then I guess I shouldn't trust my insurance agent [wife]. I'll go out and tell her shes a liar. ..far to many fine lines in this game of apraisels..insurance co's and bodyshops which are all out to screw the public...and don't tell me there's no "it's who you know"to get things covered or have things changed to benifit the friends/family on the inside....I've seen it first hand...the whole system stinks.

Tell your wife what ever you want if it makes you happy :spin:

Fact is, ins co can NOT make you go to a shop on their "referral list"
Thats Mass. law !

Squid kids Dad
07-16-2008, 09:32 PM

If that is the case then the body shop never called the insurance company for a supplement...If that is the case the body shop is at fault and should let the owner of vehicle know,..If the insurance company can not reach an agreed figure with the shop the insurance company has to inform the owner of the vehicle..There should never be a surprise total figure...I sugest your wife should reveiw the claims process

gone fishin
07-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Holy crap Larry...

I just had a similar situation. I was plowed into by another car while driving my Lexus. The insurance Co. (Arbella) estimated the costs and I - like you- couldn't believe how low they came in. I also got a check for a ridiculous amount. The insurance Co, pays you, not the body shop and then you pay them. Hold the check until the job is complete.

The car has a flexible cover over the bumper and it looked like it was a simple repair. I knew the car had lots more damage and squawked like mad. The auto body guy told me to bring the car in and let them take care of the deal. He took the cover off and called the appraiser and I got another check that covered a whole lot more than the first check. The job was done to my satisfaction using Lexus parts and not a penny out of pocket.:uhuh:

Squid kids Dad
07-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Thats the problem..As an insurance appraiser we can only write for VISIABLE damage,,even tho we might think there is additional damage behind the damaged area..We can not write for that damage until it is taken apart at at shop..Its just the process we have to follow...

Raider Ronnie
07-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Thats the problem..As an insurance appraiser we can only write for VISIABLE damage,,even tho we might think there is additional damage behind the damaged area..We can not write for that damage until it is taken apart at at shop..Its just the process we have to follow...

Thats how the process works and it should be that way !
For the ins co's part, why would they want to over rite it from the start ???
Send a check to the vehicle owner, and from there, lots of times they don't have the car fixed, have it fixed at a back yard not registered -licenses- insured (legal) shop, or just fix a minimal amount of the damage!

thefishingfreak
07-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Larry, take it to a shop along with your Ins. apraisal. hand them the estimate and make an appointment to get it in. Simple as that.
the body shop will handle the rest with the Ins. company. If there's additional damage trust me the body shop will get it covered bye the Ins. co..
They allways write it cheap. they are not allowed to write what they can't "see" the body shop will take it apart then call for a suppliment.

they {ins co.} can't tell you where to take it. that's "steering" and it's illigal. They give you there "prefered shop" list claiming they will only gaurantee the repairs if you take it to there "prefered" shops. blahh.bLahh. they will only pay a certain amount per hour blah blah.

Find a shop you feel comfortable with that will do a good job and let them handle the rest..
Make sure they gaurantee there work for life.

deposit the check they gave you. that is only the preliminary estimate. you will sign a direction to pay at the body shop and the Ins co. will pay the shop for anything else.
call your agant and see if you are covered for a rental car while the truck is in the shop?
Thats all YOU should be doing.

You will get NO WHERE calling the adjuster.or the Ins company.. you are not a licenced appraiser. let the body shoip handle it. thats there job. All you will do calling up and tearing someone a new one is a wave of pissed off people in your path.
Just tell the shop your a picky SOB and you want the truck perfect or your not giving them the job..

And don't ever piss off the painter :hidin:

fishaholic18
07-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Because 9 out of 10 times cash is king and they figure they'll never hear from you again. Most would be happy to pocket the cash and F%$#@ the vehicle so ins. co gets off cheap. Don't be one of them guys Larry, they will do a supplement if the repair goes over estimate, sometimes it's a PIA waiting game but they'll pay in the end.

fishaholic18
07-17-2008, 06:58 AM
Great advice...Don't piss anyone who's working on your vehicle off, infact, a coffee goes a long way...I know from experience...:humpty:

likwid
07-17-2008, 07:03 AM

I saw a drip. :hihi:

blue oyster
07-17-2008, 05:34 PM
larry , like many said relax , i did body work for 15 years , i am still a licensed auto damage appraiser and even did a brief stint working as an appraiser at a big ins.co., there are 2 things here , like others have said when the truck goes in for repairs the body shop will call the insurance co. and ask for a supplement the appraiser will come back out and look at the truck agian and you will get more money for repairs .what they want is to see the truck is getting repaired . the other part is the insurance co.s make out when people cash the checks and just throw there own tail light in , it just cost them $ 1200. instead of the $2400(just a guess) that it will cost to have the repairs done right at the bodyshop . and with the economy the way it is many are doing just that . i know i do it because my trucks get rear ended once a year like clock work . the toughest fight you my have is getting a factory bumper they only like to pay for factory bumpers on vehicles less than a year old , good luck

Adam_777
07-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Great advice...Don't piss anyone who's working on your vehicle off, infact, a coffee goes a long way...I know from experience...:humpty:

Yup drop it off and tell them take as long as it needs as long as it's done right.Exchange coffee and a firm handshake.Your truck will be well taken care of.

Great advice :uhuh:

Backbeach Jake
07-18-2008, 05:33 AM

If you write for damage you can't see, that's fraud, plain and simple. All damage must be measurable or visible, until it is it doesn't exist. Take the truck to the shop and have it torn down. Then stay out of the tech's way.:laugha:

boatracer357
07-18-2008, 08:15 AM
You get an estimate and the insurance company might lower the estimate. At this point you get the insuranc eman in a headlock and you almost always get more money out of him.

GattaFish
07-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Wow,,, From what I can read here looks like there are a few guys who really have a handle on this Larry,,, Especially in the MA.. I would stay in touch with them,,

As far as the insurance company checks,,, I THINK (JMHO) they low ball it and send part of the payment to the customer then wait for the rest of the bill from the body shop,,, Maybe because if some people get the big check they will just keep it and do nothing and then there are just some insurance companies that are just not that good.:humpty::humpty:

All in all I think you will get some good advice here,,, Try not to raise your blood pressure any more than it already it,,, It will all work out in time,,,,,

BigFish
07-18-2008, 02:15 PM
OK! I think we are good to go to the body shop now!:bsod:

Squid kids Dad
07-19-2008, 07:03 PM

I would not call her a liar at all..Just mis-informed as well as you are..

Raider Ronnie
07-20-2008, 08:15 AM
So Larry,
The truck fixed yet ???
From looking @ the pic, it's a 2 day job tops !
Your making this job a MUCH bigger deal than it is !!!

BigFish
07-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Just telling you waht the body shop said Ron! 5-10 days......paint, dry time???? I don't know and I don't care I just want it fixed! Got all my ducks in a row, rental car is arranged (truck) and I will go in Monday and make an appointment for the following week as we have memorial services and Angie's family here all week.

Raider Ronnie
07-20-2008, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=BigFish;606186]Just telling you waht the body shop said Ron! 5-10 days......paint, dry time????

Like I said Larry, 2 days, TOPS !
Paint is dry in 15-20 minutes in a booth with a bake cycle !
Probably 2-3 days waiting for the appraiser to show up for the supplement.
I could only imagine the fun if this was the typical heavy hit (border line total) that I fix on a weekly basis ! :err::spin:

BigFish
07-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Ronnie....you got no argument from me on the time it should take....I bet 3 days tops. Like I said...just want it right.

Swimmer
07-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Larry I believe from reading the post about Angie having family she lost someone close. Sorry to hear. I didn't see any other post about it. Give her my regards.