View Full Version : Well pump for pit well advice

Swimmer
07-17-2008, 05:43 PM
I have had a Sears pump for years that stopped pumping water last year. The pump still comes on and holds water in the pipe, but wont pump it out of the well spigit. I rebuilt the front half of the pump a couple of years ago and it worked great after that. Except for the fact the well ran dry I was pleased with how it ran after I rebuilt the unit.

My question is since its not working now should I try to fix the pump again. Or should I go for a new one, and if I go for a new one are thier any brands other than Sears I should look at. When I bought this Sears used it in "99" the guy said it was new in "97". I have no reason to doubt him. The well itself is a pit well that is down about 16' and has ten yards of pea stone in the pit. I have a 1 1/2" pcv pipe in the well that is used to draw the water up to the well pump. Would a point and galvanized pipe be better? I am in a quandry as to what direction to go in on this. I want to do it right though. So I am asking you all for help.

Slipknot
07-17-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't buy anything from Sears anymore if I want it to last. If I don't care if it breaks, like a tape measure and can get another free, then that's a different story. Their stuff never lasts for me, so ya you should look for another brand if it is giving you trouble.
If the well ran dry, I'm not sure if putting in a point down will help, it might help during times of a low water table but it's a gamble I bet.

good luck

BW from AZ
07-18-2008, 12:48 AM
16 feet:shocked: In phoenix they say if you can find water its around 300-400 feet. And it has to be drilled. Quality is bad. We get most from rivers and lakes (yes we have those) You cant have a well and get city water.

Backbeach Jake
07-18-2008, 05:27 AM
About 6 years ago I had a Sears pump croak after 2 months. I bought it in Marlboro and returned it to Hyannis. No receipt, they looked it up and verified my purchase and time of purchase. I drove home with a new one, no charge, 6 years ago. I'm happy.