View Full Version : EEL SKIN PLUG QUESTION

btycro
07-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Looking for an eel skin plug. have not found one and most shops say it is a thing of the past. I am thinking of modifying a gibbs 1.5 ounce swimmer with a slight kerf to accept the floss to hold the skin on. I am assuming that eel skin plugs are danny style swimmers with a notch for the skin. Any thoughts on this? Is modifying a swimmer a waste of time? Who makes eel skin plugs these days? Thanks.

numbskull
07-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Although you can put a skin on a danny, in my experience the best bet is a styrofoam atom jr. Leave off the tail hook, file a groove near the head, and leave a tail on the skin of about 4".

The senior plastic A40 also makes a great skin plug, but you'll need tackle that can throw about 5 oz.

Both atoms will snake along barely subsurface. You can use a BM atom jr, or Capt Andy Slopehead if you want to go deeper, but I like skin plugs on top.

Definitely try one on a needle as well.

They work so well it is like cheating, although the drop in casting distance and tail tangling issues can be a limiting factor.

You don't need a tail hook. Big bass inhale these things whole.

steve
07-18-2008, 05:23 AM
That should be fine. Just don't make the skin too long, which most seem to do. The 2 and a quater ounce makes a better skin though. Use a triangular file to make the notch. Also I've found that Beachmaster swimmers make a pretty good skin plug. The Atom Jr is also great.

PaulS
07-18-2008, 06:59 AM
If you use an atom of the BM atom Jrs, you don't need to file in a groove. If you do file in a groove on a plug, seal it.