View Full Version : Lure Reccomendations......

robbiestriper
07-18-2008, 10:18 AM
I fish under a bridge thru some sometimes swift current. Any recommendations for lures to catch some big fish? I know very little about striper fishing or fishing in general.

fishbones
07-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the site! You've come to the right place to learn about striper fishing. Your question is a little too vague to answer with any certainty. If you know what type of bait is in the water, try to find lures that look like the bait or have the same profile. Your best bet is to spend some time at the local tackle shop and listen to what people are using to catch fish. Ask the shop owner for recommendations. Usually, the tackle shop guys will help you out because if you do well, you'll continue to go back and that means more money in their cash register. Good luck.

robbiestriper
07-18-2008, 10:44 AM
I used live squid that I caught off a bridge one night and they ate those like candy. Too many of the smaller guys were quick to grab em though, any lures that emulate squid to catch the larger guys? Thanks.

steve
07-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Lead-headed bucktail - white- with porkrind trailer- white and red or white twister tail. Weghts- 1 to 4 oz.. Also, read this weeks Fisherman mag. Good article about fishing current.

fishbones
07-18-2008, 10:48 AM
What Steve said. Bigger baits usually cull out the smaller fish. Also, get your lure deep as the bigger fish are usually holding tight to the bottom when the current is strong.

Flaptail
07-18-2008, 10:58 AM
2oz and 3oz eelskin rigs at night work the shadow line, thow uptide and let it swing into the hold right on the edge of it. Requires big gear.

wheresmy50
07-18-2008, 11:16 AM
In current I like big wooden swimmers. My favorites are the large Tattoo in diving or regular and the HUGE BigWater pikies.

Just cast across the current and let them swim. No reeling needed. You can count during the drop-back (if you choose to let some extra line out) to get back to the same spot if you get a fish.

If you're near bridge pilings, make sure to gear up. Current + obstacles = heavy gear.

One general fishing principle to remember is to fish the "changes". Where current meets slack water, where the current is interrupted by something, shadow lines, dropoffs, etc.