View Full Version : WOW they mean business down south

Slipknot
07-18-2008, 03:04 PM
http://www.billfish.org/new/video.asp

Anyone see this yet?
sportfishing boats getting harrassed by big commercial ship :hidin:

nklinesider
07-18-2008, 04:45 PM
im starting to get the feeling that the big comercial boats think they own the ocean. had a similar thing happen to me yesterday in my kayak. a dragger and a netting barge were getting pogies in front of wickford harbor and the netting boat was coming within 10 yards of us (we were about 200 yards away from the dragger the netting barge was working with) taking the pogies we were trying to snag...... almost inside the first red bouy right when you leave the harbor.

Hooper
07-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Call me a cynic, but ain't nothing going to happen to those commercial guys.

spence
07-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Costa Rica has seen a big boom in revenue from tourism in the past 10 years...I'd wager they'd take something like this pretty seriously.

Hell, we even looked at buying into a condo some time back, it was so cheap then.

-spence

GattaFish
07-18-2008, 07:20 PM

They will if those sport fishing guys are from Costa Rica and that commercial boat is not,,,,,

Besides sport fishing in Costa Rica is Big Money Tourism and I am sure the Govt. does not want that ruined.

Not to mention the harassment of U.S. flagged boats,,,, Thats a no no anywhere in the world,,,,

likwid
07-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Not to mention the harassment of U.S. flagged boats,,,, Thats a no no anywhere in the world,,,,

BWAHAHAHAHAH
According to who?

GattaFish
07-18-2008, 07:43 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAH
According to who?

State your case of why it would not be,,,??? Figured there would be someone,,,

MotoXcowboy
07-18-2008, 08:00 PM
i probably would've lost my cool and shot at them with a flare gun

likwid
07-18-2008, 08:26 PM
State your case of why it would not be,,,??? Figured there would be someone,,,

In international waters what flag you fly means exactly nothing.

Hense being called "international waters" and not the "oceans of the amerikans"

Pirates don't give a damn who you are or where you're from, they just want your crap.
And all the better that you're American. They'll most likely get a ransom for you.

Bob Thomas
07-18-2008, 08:32 PM
i probably would've lost my cool and shot at them with a flare gun

Funny...I was thinking the same exact thing when the big boat was chasing that .... well "Other" big boat :hihi:

btycro
07-18-2008, 09:13 PM
unfortunately for the little guy, corporations run the world at large. These boats will conduct themselves like that because they have no fear of any consequences. If you think about the responsibility of operating such a large vessel and the seriousness of what could happen if something goes wrong and then take into account the captain's behavior endangering the boats and those on his ship then I say one well placed round into his bridge would be american diplomacy at its finest.:wavey:

last fall a clam dredger rode right up on us outside of fire island while we were drifting for stripers. we moved because we saw him coming and he altered his course to within about 30 feet of us as he passed. guy was up at the wheel smiling at us as he went by. I thought it was pretty scary. as we went to move again I hooked up and had to fight a striper as we dragged it along, everybody was too busy screaming at the boat notice I had a fish on. big boat go where it want little boat move out of way.

likwid
07-18-2008, 09:20 PM
sheer tonnage rule.

GattaFish
07-18-2008, 09:25 PM
In international waters what flag you fly means exactly nothing.

Hense being called "international waters" and not the "oceans of the amerikans"

Pirates don't give a damn who you are or where you're from, they just want your crap.
And all the better that you're American. They'll most likely get a ransom for you.

OK will start with the harassment of a fishing vessel and illegal fishing practices in Costa Rican waters and the jurisdiction of the U.S. Coast Guard. Not to mention harassing ANY boat not just a U.S. Flagged Boat. It all starts with bilateral agreements. The U.S has these with many countries around the world. I will let you read the Costa Rica one at the end.

Now I will tell you that Pirating does happen and then like you said it does not matter where. But really that is a whole different issue and YES if you were being harassed by pirates and were able to raise the Coast Guard or the NAVY they would intervene ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. They have done it before. Especially if you were a U.S. Flagged boat. There are many countries around the world that patrol the same way in INTERNATIONAL WATERS. That means that you are responsible for at least one countries laws maybe more and that you can be prosecuted for crimes there.

Finally the U.S. Coast Guard and other branches of the military PATROL INTERNATIONAL WATERS EVERYDAY.

The look for Drugs, Environmental issues and of course all other illegal activity. They do have authority all over the world in international waters. Just like many other countries around the world.

No one said anything about your foolish comment of "oceans of the amerikans"

All I said was harassing a U.S. flagged boat anywhere in the world is a no no,,, not to mention any other boat flagged in another country. That means in International Waters and it is still a NO NO.

Mainly because a big ship is responsible regardless of where it is and if there is no agreement to prosecute them there then eventually it WILL travel into INTERNATIONAL WATERS and if reported to the Coast Guard they will be boarded and/or apprehended at first opportunity. That crap is taken seriously.

Please don't be ridiculous with your claims or comments,,, Just because the ocean is vast and the LAW can't be everywhere does not mean that it does not exist or is not enforced. I think that video will be enough to inform the authorities.

Embassy of the United States of America
San José, Costa Rica

Press Office

Tel: (506) 519-2000 Fax: (506) 232-7944
http://usembassy.or.cr

Fact Sheet on the U.S.-Costa Rica
Counter-Narcotics Maritime Agreement

December 1999

Introduction

The Unites States and Costa Rica signed a cooperative agreement to help suppress the flow of illicit drugs through the coastal regions of Costa Rica in December 1998. The agreement was ratified by Costa Rica and signed into law by President Miguel Angel Rodriguez in October 1999.

The accord, which has come to be known in Costa Rica as the “Joint Patrol” agreement, commits the two countries to work together in a variety of ways to suppress drug trafficking by sea and air.

Drug trafficking is not only a problem for the United States. Consumption of drugs in Costa Rica, particularly crack cocaine, has risen sharply in recent years. This is partly because traffickers use narcotics to pay their local collaborators, who then sell the drugs to local customers. Drug trafficking brings money laundering, and can also bring corruption when traffickers attempt to buy influence. Drug traffickers show no respect for national boundaries or fundamental principles of national sovereignty. Virtually all countries are victims of the corrosive effects of the production, distribution and consumption of illicit drugs, and the laundering of drug money.

Drugs such as cocaine are produced in South America and are transported through a zone that is six million square miles in size. The transit zone includes the Caribbean Sea, the Gulf of Mexico and the Eastern Pacific Ocean. The U.S. Coast Guard believes that two-thirds of the illegal drug traffic moving through the region does so on boats, including small coastal freighters, fishing vessels and the small swift vessels called "go-fasts."

The U.S. experience has showed that bilateral agreements are the best way to fight illicit maritime narcotics traffic. These agreements preserve the partner nation's sovereignty and its jurisdiction, while deterring the abuse of its vessel registry, territorial sea and airspace by drug traffickers.

Elements of the Maritime Agreement

The U.S.-Costa Rica agreement provides for increased intelligence sharing and coordination in counterdrug activities. It permits Costa Rican law enforcement personnel to embark on U.S. vessels as “shipriders” and authorizes U.S. vessels to pursue suspected traffickers in Costa Rican territorial and international waters. Similarly, U.S. law enforcement personnel are permitted to be shipriders on Costa Rican vessels, to provide advice on pursuit and boarding of suspect vessels and to coordinate with U.S. elements. In exceptional “hot pursuit” situations, the agreement allows U.S. law enforcement vessels to pursue, stop and secure a suspect vessel while awaiting the arrival of Costa Rican authorities. The Government of Costa Rica has primary jurisdiction over all suspects apprehended in its territorial waters, and assets seized in Costa Rican territory will be disposed of in accordance with the laws of Costa Rica.

Increased U.S. Assistance

With the signing of the agreement, the U.S. is committed to making its best efforts to obtain additional material assets and training for Costa Rica in its fight against drug traffickers. The U.S. will donate a former U.S. Coast Guard ship that will patrol the waters of the country’s Pacific coast. Teams of experts from the U.S. Coast Guard and other agencies are providing training courses and technical assistance in areas such as marine safety, equipment maintenance and renovation of Costa Rica’s naval facilities.

Other Benefits

In addition to improved drug interdiction, the agreement will provide closer coordination between U.S. and Costa Rica in life-saving search and rescue operations, and will enhance the enforcement of environmental and fishing regulations in territorial and international waters.

The United States has comprehensive bilateral maritime counterdrug agreements with the Governments of nine other Caribbean nations. These include Dominican Republic, Belize, Dominica, Nevis/St. Kitts, Antigua/Barbuda, St.Vincent/Grenadines, St. Lucia, Grenada and Trinidad and Tobago. Haiti, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua are considering similar agreements with the United States.

Related articles:

Spanish text of U.S.-C.R. Counter-Narcotics Maritime Agreement ('Patrullaje Conjunto')

likwid
07-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Finally the U.S. Coast Guard and other branches of the military PATROL INTERNATIONAL WATERS EVERYDAY.

They do? Funny I've done a ton of trips to the Carribean and back and unless they were headed somewhere with a purpose, they most certainly weren't "patrolling" the middle of the ocean. Which international waters are they patrolling again?

All I said was harassing a U.S. flagged boat anywhere in the world is a no no

Great, I'll remind myself next time I'm offshore that "harassing a US flagged boat is a no no" when we get mirrored by a freighter for half an hour at night with no response on 9 or 16. :rollem:

Created by sue. Last modified on 2008-06-09 11:55:23
Topic: Piracy Reports 2008
Countries: Costa Rica

The cocaine from Colombia has been running up both coasts of Central America for years using various methods. The most common method currently appears to be 40 to 50 ft. speed boats with 2 to 3 200 HP engines. When these boats can't rendezvous with their refuelers, they turn to any source, which lately has resulted in pirating small fishing boats at sea for their gasoline. There have been a number of fishing boats that have mysteriously “gone missing”, fishermen thrown into the water to swim ashore, high-jackings, beatings and even the boarding of a large day-sailing catamaran anchored in the crowded anchorage of Tamarindo Beach, Costa Rica.

These cocaine smugglers need to make it to the next fuel stop and are heavily armed. For the most part all they are wanting is more fuel, however we have been advised by contacts in Costa Rica that “if you are overtaken by one of these boats, don't try to be a hero, they are probably paramilitary trained and ready to do anything. So let them have the fuel and send them off with a smile.”

So far there have been no reports of cruisers being approached for fuel, however play safe and be on guard. Local police are now using captured drug trafficking boats to patrol this coastline as incidents have increased in recent months.

So if the Navy and Coast Guard are SO willing to help out, why do these lists exist looking for other cruisers to transit the Red Sea & Gulf of Aden in numbers? How come they aren't patrolling?
http://www.noonsite.com/General/Piracy/RedSea2008

GattaFish
07-18-2008, 11:48 PM
They do? Funny I've done a ton of trips to the Carribean and back and unless they were headed somewhere with a purpose, they most certainly weren't "patrolling" the middle of the ocean. Which international waters are they patrolling again?

First of all sorry to Slip for the continuous Hijack of a good thread. Not to mention my apologies for Likwid's off topic banter. Maybe he will just let it rest.

I guess if your a Captain you should conduct yourself like one. And if your so good and know so much about traversing the worlds oceans then why are you not a Captain of that big Freighter making $$$.

So STOP trying to turn this into a you know everything flame war because of my comment because I don't care what you think you know. I just showed you facts.

Only a fool would think you can pull that crap that fishing boat did. I am sure the video of that mess will not go unnoticed and that the first time the CG sees that ship they will inquire. Time will tell..

You brought up Piracy and that is illegal EVERYWHERE. Its a crime like robbing a bank,,,, The police can't stop it from happening all the time,,,,I never said it does not happen. I did not say that the U.S. can be everywhere to hold everyones hand either. But you better believe that if someone commits a crime and is caught in INTERNATIONAL WATERS the Coast Guard has Jurisdiction. And if it is serious enough they will prosecute. They don't go all over the world looking for piracy. My god they can't do everything for the rest of the world.

You are totally foolish to think that they don't patrol International waters. You are extremely short sighted and don't realize that The Coast Guard also does more drug enforcement than you even have a clue about over the water. Most at night from AIRCRAFT.

Just to list a few they use Helicopters from Opa Locka Florida, Coast Guard Cutter Valient from Key west (if it is still based there) Falcons and C-130's that do Air patrols flying out of the Caribbean (Falcons in Grand Caymen), Homeland Security Citations from Points in Fl and Texas all flying over water. YES THAT IS PATROLLING. Most open ocean patrols are done by AIRCRAFT at night until they see something that needs to be investigated. Then they follow it or track it until it can be intercepted. Just so you know they burn less fuel and cover more area by air than by ship.:think::think:

As a matter of fact they just assisted MX in a big cocaine bust,,, but nope they don't patrol. nope just intelligence.. yea right..

As far as your incident with the freighter. I did not say that people must do everything they are supposed to or that the Coast Guard will be there to prevent every little thing you think is harassment. So did you report it ? They mirrored you, and,,,,, Like the Ferry goes out of its way for you too,,,, NOT :walk:

Those lists exist because things do happen and piracy does happen and most of all a good Captain would know that traveling long distances in a private vessel is best done in numbers for many safety reasons. And people even come up missing too,,, It happens.. I never said it did not,,,,,

Maybe you should spend some time in far away places of the world were they do not extend the same common courtesies or respect your personal space like they do in the United States. Maybe then you might have understood the Captain of that Freighter.

Raven
07-19-2008, 06:40 AM
for dropping bombs .... it's totally unacceptable

bobfishgerald
07-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Here is an example of the kind of military action described above.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=22784

As a country we have a long, proud history of delivering our retribution on those who harass our citizens anywhere in the world.

As the Marine Hymn clearly states "From the halls of Montezuma To the shores of Tripoli....."

spence
07-19-2008, 08:55 AM
And if your so good and know so much about traversing the worlds oceans then why are you not a Captain of that big Freighter making $$$.
Likwid can't get his license until he turns 18 :rotflmao:

-spence

macojoe
07-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Them smaller boats should have gotten in front of that big boat and all let there anchor ropes out, That big boat would have sucked them 6 or 7 ropes in the props and they shut down pretty quick!

And that would be the day they drop bombs on me!! I have flares shooting right at the wheel house and them net tenders would have gotten slammed!!

GattaFish
07-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Likwid can't get his license until he turns 18 :rotflmao:

-spence

Figures...

Besides everyone here knows the facts.

spence
07-19-2008, 09:37 AM
It was a joke, while a young man Likwid is over 18. Though it was pretty dark when I met him in Newport.

That being said, I believe he has quite extensive time on the water.

-spence

basswipe
07-19-2008, 09:49 AM
First of all sorry to Slip for the continuous Hijack of a good thread. Not to mention my apologies for Likwid's off topic banter. Maybe he will just let it rest.

I guess if your a Captain you should conduct yourself like one. And if your so good and know so much about traversing the worlds oceans then why are you not a Captain of that big Freighter making $$$.

So STOP trying to turn this into a you know everything flame war because of my comment because I don't care what you think you know. I just showed you facts.

Only a fool would think you can pull that crap that fishing boat did. I am sure the video of that mess will not go unnoticed and that the first time the CG sees that ship they will inquire. Time will tell..

You brought up Piracy and that is illegal EVERYWHERE. Its a crime like robbing a bank,,,, The police can't stop it from happening all the time,,,,I never said it does not happen. I did not say that the U.S. can be everywhere to hold everyones hand either. But you better believe that if someone commits a crime and is caught in INTERNATIONAL WATERS the Coast Guard has Jurisdiction. And if it is serious enough they will prosecute. They don't go all over the world looking for piracy. My god they can't do everything for the rest of the world.

You are totally foolish to think that they don't patrol International waters. You are extremely short sighted and don't realize that The Coast Guard also does more drug enforcement than you even have a clue about over the water. Most at night from AIRCRAFT.

Just to list a few they use Helicopters from Opa Locka Florida, Coast Guard Cutter Valient from Key west (if it is still based there) Falcons and C-130's that do Air patrols flying out of the Caribbean (Falcons in Grand Caymen), Homeland Security Citations from Points in Fl and Texas all flying over water. YES THAT IS PATROLLING. Most open ocean patrols are done by AIRCRAFT at night until they see something that needs to be investigated. Then they follow it or track it until it can be intercepted. Just so you know they burn less fuel and cover more area by air than by ship.:think::think:

As a matter of fact they just assisted MX in a big cocaine bust,,, but nope they don't patrol. nope just intelligence.. yea right..

As far as your incident with the freighter. I did not say that people must do everything they are supposed to or that the Coast Guard will be there to prevent every little thing you think is harassment. So did you report it ? They mirrored you, and,,,,, Like the Ferry goes out of its way for you too,,,, NOT :walk:

Those lists exist because things do happen and piracy does happen and most of all a good Captain would know that traveling long distances in a private vessel is best done in numbers for many safety reasons. And people even come up missing too,,, It happens.. I never said it did not,,,,,

Maybe you should spend some time in far away places of the world were they do not extend the same common courtesies or respect your personal space like they do in the United States. Maybe then you might have understood the Captain of that Freighter.

Very well spoken.

GattaFish
07-19-2008, 09:51 AM
It was a joke, while a young man Likwid is over 18. Though it was pretty dark when I met him in Newport.

That being said, I believe he has quite extensive time on the water.

-spence

I understand,,, but No One knows everything,,, and instead of being open minded he spouted off like he did,,,

I spoke of FACTS... Thats all,,, and as someone else posted the same type of facts.

Like I said I was never trying to start a flame war,,,