View Full Version : My 1st

Little Round
07-20-2008, 02:54 PM
It was my first trip to the edge and it was a day I will never forget. We had a little itch to go south for the last couple weeks, but it never came together. We decided to leave on wendsday afternoon and head down to the tails. We got there and it was game on. We basiclly went on a blood bath till dark, and started up where we left off. The highlight was hooking this monster BE or yellowfin in the dark still on the troll. I have never been so worked buy a fish. It was something else. We had a 90# yellowfin to the boat in 1/4 of the time it took to get this fish just back to the splice, the it was a straight up and down battle till we pulled the hook.

keeperreaper
07-20-2008, 03:53 PM
You are the man. Your plastics just keep on killing them.

Mr. Sandman
07-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Looks like a nice day. It is a different world out there. Had one on for a few hours last year on a 80wide and the same thing happened...hook pulled, I still wonder what and how big. Everyone on board said big eye, they park them selves and you can't budge them. My arms were rubba and in spasm. Heading out again soon when we get a few day weather window.
Those yellows are the best on the grill...so are the albacore.

Glad the weather was nice. it is like heaven when it is calm and it is hell when it blows out there. I can see how guys get really addicted to this and just don't care what it costs, it is like a drug addiction.

RIROCKHOUND
07-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Whats the rig you troll them on?

Went 11/15 on yellow fin in the tails Thursday. 'Valhalla Rising'
More mahi than I could count.
good trip. that place is crack.
5.00 diesel will get old this season though!

Little Round
07-20-2008, 04:37 PM
I was using my rubba behind a islander instead of a bally. We were getting so many knock downs and droped fish b/c lack of crew to reel in fish, I started to use rubba. We probably had 40 hooked fish to the 15 landed. It is hard when you have a crew of 3 on 7/8 rods. First pass we had 6 out 7 rods go down.

thefishingfreak
07-20-2008, 08:03 PM
nice..
sounds like you need a mate for those trips :hee:

macojoe
07-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Congrats!!

Fish On
07-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for sharing Joe! I love that song too.

Bronko
07-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Great work Alan! Wish I could have gone, sounds epic. Looks your rubba is a big hit with the pelagics. I saw a guy buying some in that new tackle shop in Dennis Saturday night. He said he was going to bring it out east :btu::btu::btu:

Little Round
07-21-2008, 04:02 PM
This was the pic I was looking for. I have never been so worked by a fish. I felt like I was going to puke, and it was so strong I had to put it back in the rod holder. It was up past 22#'s at strike, and with 500yards out it is a lot of pressure. You could hear the line and the rod going wannnn waNNNnn.

animal
07-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Sounds like a great trip overall.With 22 lbs of drag,at strike,and (not knowing your fighting drag setting)The drag is doubled if half the line comes off the spool,add in the drag of the line against the water,and it must have worn a good hole in the fishes mouth.
If you were at anchor,and didn't wanna get off,I guess you did the right thing.I like a lighter drag setting,normally.Did you see what it was?Maybe a big Swordie?
Great report,thanks for sharing it.:D

Hooper
07-21-2008, 05:43 PM
LR, Nice fish!

I hear you on getting worked over, I got a 175lb yellowfin in Panama last winter and I almost died. 90 degree heat, no shade, no wind, almost an hour. But, it was great on the grill!

Little Round
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
We had the fish on the troll at 9pm. I don't think it was a sword. 3 rods went down, 1 90# yellow, one broke off, and the one that we had on for an hour. If I didn't put more drag on the fish we couldn't get anywhere, it just kept on going and going. I don't know if we did the "right" thing to fight the fish the way we did, but I was taken back as it was all in the dark, and my first time fighting a fish like that.

animal
07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Maybe it's a good thing,I'll bet green dollars it left you hungry to get back out there.:btu:

KJLane
07-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Sick Alan. Next time we'll spin the boat around on em. You live you learn.