View Full Version : Need help fishing for fluke

TianaBeachDude
07-20-2008, 06:44 PM
I have only fished for fluke once from a boat.

Can fluke be fished from shore? If so, what are the methods and how do you identify a potensial spot?

I have access to both the open beach and back bays.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

TBD

MVbluefish
07-20-2008, 08:07 PM
I fish em from the beach in the middle of hot beach day. bucktails with squid strips or small broken back bombers and do a lot of walking the beach. Fluke are very territorial so standing in one spot is not very productive. Best to go to where an estuary flows out into a bowl. A gravelly beach is my preference. Bring a small cooler with ice for the squid and those delicious fluke you catch. 18.5 inch minimum in MA.

Mr. Krinkle
07-20-2008, 08:09 PM
18.5 inch minimum in MA.

20.5 in NY...ugh

FishNH
07-20-2008, 08:31 PM
find a spot where there is a deeper water channel that runs near shore a light gravel or sandy bottom is best. use a bucktail and bounce it along the bottom. Out by you TBD try the shinnicock canal when the locks are just closing or closed.

TianaBeachDude
07-20-2008, 08:54 PM
find a spot where there is a deeper water channel that runs near shore a light gravel or sandy bottom is best. use a bucktail and bounce it along the bottom. Out by you TBD try the shinnicock canal when the locks are just closing or closed.

I'M going to ask a dumb question. I heard this term back when the weakfish were around. What does it mean when the "locks are closed"? Sorry, I'M a newb....

MotoXcowboy
07-20-2008, 09:35 PM
I've caught them a few times on shore by accident in sandy spots that have current..bumping tins along bottom.

macojoe
07-20-2008, 09:43 PM
You have to be near moving water, Fluke like to chase there food, no movement in the water look for a better place.
Squid, Blue Fish belly, Sea Robin Belly, Fluke Belly are all great baits!

Make sure you are on the bottom and jig a little. Use enough weight to hold bottom, There are lots of rigs out there but all should be tiped with some bait IMO.

Ma. Is 17 1/2 and 5 fish limit!

FishNH
07-21-2008, 04:46 AM
I'M going to ask a dumb question. I heard this term back when the weakfish were around. What does it mean when the "locks are closed"? Sorry, I'M a newb....
Never a dumb question Rob. in the canal there is a set of locks that open and close to allow water to flow from shinnincock bay to peconic bay. It also allows boats safe passage thru. when the locks are open there is alot of current. too much to fish at times thats why its better when the locks are closed. you can get info right from the canal keepers themselves. call info to get their number. I do not have it at this times but will try to get you more info.

NIB
07-21-2008, 06:43 AM
In NJ from the beach we don't always have moving water U have to impart the action.I have em over 5 lbs from the jetty's. No giants but plenty of fun,every cast when they are thick.Not deep 8-10 ft..Pretty much my usual set up is a 1/2-1 oz ball jig, chartreuse or white with a grub and a small pc (1/2")of squid.Just enough to add some flavor.To big and it just fouls up..Plain 3"mister twister grubs worked great.Now it's all about Gulp,,,Gulp work great.I will also use a 5/0 baitholder hook on a dropper loop 12" or so above the jig.Use a gulp grub on that..Chartruese or white..Spro jigs work well also Glow, white white and green.Get the little 1/4 oz ones an tie em off on the dropper.Andrus makes a little ball 1/8 and 1/4 oz also good Better hook.Cut one side of the dropper loop and use a loop knot..The little popcorn jig we call it is deadly..I have seen the little bugger take fish to ten lbs..The weight of the bottom jig may vary. U want to just have contact with the bottom.I use 10-15 lb braid on a cabo 30-40 and a light weight 7 ft spinner.I have a 80$ tsunami 5 star ?? that I prefer better than the 240$ loomis pro blue I won..The same set up I use on the boat for the light bucktails...Most times On the boat I use 1.5oz for the bottom jig..Cast back side and jigged back.If the bait is small,Juvie scup or sardines it outfishes most other techniques..
It goes well till the snappers take over..:(
The jiggin technique can vary from just draggin it slow to a full out pop,pop,pop..U feel something different set the hook..U'll catch em if they are there.Lots of fun in the middle of summer..
Good Luck..

Charlie G
07-22-2008, 07:02 AM
I couldn't have said it better then what NIB just did. Just fish the deeper holes with moving current at the tide changes. Gulp 3" swimming minnows can be reused on a number of trips.

NIB
07-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I couldn't have said it better then what NIB just did. Gulp 3" swimming minnows can be reused on a number of trips.

Of course not..U cannot reuse the gulp from the packages.The ones in the container of juce u can reuse.I prefer the 4 inch size..And the Gulp in the package seems tougher (last's longer).U have to take it off the hook when done or it shrivels up and becomes a PITA..