View Full Version : Any news from Maine?

JoeBass
07-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Heading there this Saturday for a couple of weeks of fishing and family time. Usually just fish the surf, sometimes from the rocks. Southern Maine. I get a couple of trips from my buddies boat on the Piscattaqua River and out into the ocean.
Any news or any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll stop at Eldridge Bros on the trip in.
Hope you Maine fisherman are having a good year. (and everybody else)

JoeBass
07-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Nothing? No Maine guys? Come on, I know you're out there! (Maybe you're all fishing)

steve
07-21-2008, 02:22 PM
I spoke to my brother in Maine this past weekend. He said striper fishing is slow.

Polar Express
07-21-2008, 03:29 PM
I heard there still snow on the ground.(HAHA)

tynan19
07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Spent the day in Wells, Kennebunk on Sun. Lots of guys fishing. My FIL caught one 20 inch fish at sunrise and that was it. I didn't see any other fish caught all day. Usually this time of year on that particular tide we do well.

xyzs
07-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi Joe
I was in Me.last week at old orchard beach,fish mon.& thurs.night
nothing not even a crab bites on my bait....talk to some locales they were say that its reeeel slllllow!!!! but the bunker are in if that's a help so good luck in Me........Jim

fish4striper
07-22-2008, 06:17 AM
I'll be in Wells this weekend. From what I've heard, there's plenty of macs and pogies in various areas of Maine but no fish. Running late this year?

Cranium
07-22-2008, 08:12 AM
I will be up for my annual two weeks at biddeford pool. From what I understand it is very slow. Hopefully they will all move into my spot by sat. lol

JoeBass
07-22-2008, 08:45 AM
If I'm understanding this correctly...it's slow to really slow with pockets of no activity in between. Sounds like Maine in mid-summer!
I arrived there for my annual 2 weeks last year and all my fishing friends said the same "slow". And it was for the first few days ...then I started hooking up early mornings fishing the surf with clams...4am-8am. Every day I would catch a few. Nothing big but I was fishing light gear and a fat 28" was fun. Many in the slot. One morning I hooked a large bass that spooled me. I also caught a few small ones on the fly in various tidal rivers. And a few small ones on plugs from rocky shoreline. I'm going to try more night fishing.
I know it'll be slow but I can't wait to stand there and try.
Thank you for the info...I hope it picks up for all of us.

The Iceman 6
07-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Best of luck JB, give us the report upon your return. Remember the Who song "Won't get spooled again."

Ice

ThrowingTimber
07-22-2008, 12:32 PM
buddy in york is very concerned. He said they arent seeing any fish and usually theyre loaded with small fish in the rivers etc. He hasnt seen any fish at all. and he's out 11pm to sunrise nightly. The lack of small fish has him very concerned. He actually came to fish down here this past weekend.

JFigliuolo
07-22-2008, 12:52 PM
I heard the same from a freind up there... he is fishing in mass to find fish.

5/0
07-22-2008, 03:38 PM
buddy in york is very concerned. He said they arent seeing any fish and usually theyre loaded with small fish in the rivers etc. He hasnt seen any fish at all. and he's out 11pm to sunrise nightly. The lack of small fish has him very concerned. He actually came to fish down here this past weekend.

I hope the fishing picks up in 2 week's I take the family up to Camp Heaton in York Beach and the fishing has been spoty,well at least when I've gone.

BTW is anybody else heading up to YB the first week of August?

hardbait
07-22-2008, 07:45 PM
fished the last 4 weekends up in kennebunk 2 -20"
fish.early season not to bad, mid june few 10 pound fish.since then scary nothing.fishing up there 20 years now in summer, never seen anything like it.always could find schoolies i mean always.

Stripersurg
07-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Hey guy's new to the board here. I'll do my best to tell you like it is here where I fish. I do not fish York at all, Biddeford rarely. Most of my fishing is done around Scarborough, namely the rock ledges along the ocean front. Has fishing been slow this year? yes it has. I'm 2/3 down from last years total, and I fish every weekend, and some weekdays. I caught 17 fish this past weekend, for both day's, nothing over 22". Prior weekend, I caught 9 on a single day. These are the two best weekends that I have had all season. I usually fish for 3 -4 hours at a time, so do the math for the average. I caught bigger fish in June, the fish are smaller in July. Am I one of the lucky ones catching fish? no, I don't think so, I just know the area well, and know how to fish. So, are there fish here, yes, but in reduced numbers, as compared to prior years. Come on up, have a nice relaxing vacation, and fish. You won't know if you'll catch anything unless you try....Good Luck.

JoeBass
07-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks for a glimmer of hope stripersurge....genuinely appreciated. I hope you guys heading there in the next few weeks have tight lines. I'll report, good or bad, on the week of Aug. 11th.

The Iceman 6
07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Stripersurg -

Welcome aboard. Great group here. Thanks for the post up.

Stripersurg
07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks guy's, good to be on board here