View Full Version : IM taking the chance of a lifetime

frayedspool
11-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Whats up guys,
Sorry I havent posted much in the last days since I registered. My mind was taking off of fishing in pursuit of a dream. In the past 4 months I have been restoring a 1976 Dixie Center Console(something I will never do again) We are still in the process of the restoration. The boat is down to the bare hull and we just installed a new gas tank and a hinged floor for the hull. No motor as of yet, just wire harnesses and all of that fun stuff. This weekend takes us to the sanding process. And I Fiberglass is just oh so much fun to sand and breathe in even through the mask. yummy.
Well the true reason I bought this boat was for my own practice on the water. Given my age and my #^&#^&#^&#^&ty job I needed some way of getting on the water and a restoration seemed like the moderate way to go. So far this project hasnt cost me as much as I thought it would and is going quazi smooth. I bought this boat for a dream of mine. I have always wanted to enter the realm of being a charter boat captain. I want to teach people how to fish and let them experience a good time out on the water for a day and understand what makes this sport so much fun and so relaxing. I have always enjoyed children fishing and very much appreciate a whole family of fisher-people. So now I am on the road toi acquiring this goal and doing something I love.
What I am asking from you folks is other then the 360 days on the water, the tests and the licensing, what do I need to do to be succesful at this. Where can I find books to study up for the RULES OF THE ROAD and navigation parts of the test. MY friend and part owner of our boat is in with me on this. He plans to also acquire his "6-pack" license. Any or all help is really appreciated.

fishsmith
11-08-2002, 10:00 AM
www.seaschool.com

This site gives you all the info you need for a 6pack licence.

I have my licence and I used to be a mate on a fishing boat, so I've got dreams of a charterboat business someday too, but to make money running a charter has alot of obstacles, like the following expenses: boat/dock/insurance/bait/gear/good weather/engine maintenace/advertising/customers/and knowing where the fish are just a few.

I don't mean to sound sour and I wish you the best of luck in any venture you try, but this is what I've found out.

schoolie monster
11-08-2002, 10:34 AM
A very good resource is Chapman's Book of Piloting. Its got alot of good book information to help prepare you for your time on the water.

As a new boat owner, I find that experience is the best teacher, but its extremely helpful to study prior to and after trips out.

What I mean is that I studied the rules, etc. all off-season and studied my charts prior to each trip out... then when I get back in, I make it a point to remember any situations in which I was unsure of a course of action, or any areas in which I was wanted to go, but was unfamiliar with.

Definitely get your captain's license... for that business, I think its almost mandatory because you need to get liability insurance and I think its virtually unaffordable without the license. Not totally sure about that, but it makes sense.

In the back of my mind, like alot of us, I like to think that someday I might do something similar. Obviously, we all love fishing and love being outside and the quality of life would be great if you could do it successfully.

I'm thinkin' a bit more down the line as I have a decent job that I enjoy and an expanding family to support. Its definitely a tough business to get started in and it takes a while to get established.

But someday, maybe in a different climate, I could see myself poling a flat, scanning for some fishies... sounds pretty good when its 35 degrees outside.

Good luck dude and I highly recommend the book.

Mr. Sandman
11-08-2002, 10:44 AM
I love fishing (and boating)....but if I had to do it for a living I don't know if it would be as much fun (*for me*) . No matter, its great being on the water even if the fish aren't biting. If you have the burning desire to do it (day in and day out) then my advice is goforit. That goes for any persuit...even plug building.
Looking candidly at the numbers, fishing is a crappy business to make and decent $. There are a lot of expenses and the work is not always easy and the hours can be long. But if you have the desire do it.

If you have half the energy of your avatar you will be great!

Good luck to you

Saltheart
11-08-2002, 11:56 AM
Good Luck with your venture. It is a tough game to make money at but if you love the water it may be worth it.

My advice would be to always be nice to your customers and never take chances with their safety. Discourage over consumption of alchohol by your guests. Keep the equipment working well.

It takes a while to build up a clientel so be patient. Most of all , enjoy doing it. even if it doesn't make money , enjoy your time on the water and you'll have no regrets.

Duke41
11-08-2002, 01:46 PM
I spent Spring getting my 50 ton license. There is a lot to it. I took the classes at Mystic Safe Boating. The course is 12 weeks long one night a week, if you pass the 5 tests you do not have to take the CG test. Also you will need a physical, and color blind test, CPR and first aid certificate and sign up for random drug testing. Al in all it cost me about 800 bucks to get it all squared away. I did a few charters last summer and it was well worth it. Have fun with it and do not quit your day job for now.