View Full Version : Which Plug...

doc
07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
do you like to toss to scout out a spot...vs...which plug do you like to toss when you know fish are around...

i find pencils are good 'scouting' plugs...and then i often find myself switching to other plugs when i know fish are around...

Rockport24
07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
interesting thread doc!
if I know fish are around I usually end up throwing the old trusty loaded red fin swimmer, day or night, that thing always seem to draw a strike if fish are known to be there - it's also a good search plug, just not as much fun to retrieve as a spook, which is my preferred search plug (bigfish blitzseeker in particular)

JFigliuolo
07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
A good plug is a good plug regardless. It's tough to beat a rigged sluggo/rigged eel.

You can work them fast, they catch, and you can quickly cover alot of water.

doc
07-24-2008, 04:22 PM
as usual it comes to down to confidence in the plug you are tossing...but i find sometimes that certain plugs elicit the seemingly lone fish while others are good when fish seem to be more plentiful...

The Iceman 6
07-24-2008, 05:43 PM
To find, agree that I would go with a Pencil Popper. When around prob. Tin or a Needle. Nightime, eel all the way....

Skitterpop
07-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Daytime: Popper or pencil

Night time: sinking needle or old 7" Rebel sinker

Slipknot
07-24-2008, 06:47 PM
a Jig

hyefisherman2
07-24-2008, 09:13 PM
daytime: a pencil popper or a tin ;)

night: metal lipped swimmer or a bucktail jig

Tagger
07-25-2008, 03:40 AM
daytime... Jigman spook
nightime...skinplug/needle

Flaptail
07-25-2008, 05:42 AM
All depends when and where and what time of year ( I know, let's not make this complicated but as the old saying goes, "the more you know the less you can be sure of")

I have many specific choices for pluggery based on experience and where I am and at what time of day, year and current conditions.

It is not that simple. (At least for me)

steve
07-25-2008, 06:10 AM
Skin over a surface swimmer, bone colored Rebel jumpin' minnow , white or pink 7 inch sluggo or a yellow pencil popper or Yozuri hydro pencil or Yozuri surfave cruiser by day. 9" black Sluggo, rigged eel or live eel after dark. Once and a while I'll use a 7" weighed Redfin or the new Rapala plastic swimmer(great lure) when there's current. Also, nder the right condition, a 3/4 to 3 oz. white bucktail jig with red/white pork rind day or night.

Clogston29
07-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Skin over a surface swimmer, bone colored Rebel jumpin' minnow , white or pink 7 inch sluggo or a yellow pencil popper or Yozuri hydro pencil or Yozuri surfave cruiser by day. 9" black Sluggo, rigged eel or live eel after dark. Once and a while I'll use a 7" weighed Redfin or the new Rapala plastic swimmer(great lure) when there's current. Also, nder the right condition, a 3/4 to 3 oz. white bucktail jig with red/white pork rind day or night.

what he said

Charlie M
07-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Darters because they cast well and can cover a lot of water quickly. 7" Megabaits and needles are my second favorite searching plugs.

fishbones
07-25-2008, 08:33 AM
All depends when and where and what time of year ( I know, let's not make this complicated but as the old saying goes, "the more you know the less you can be sure of")

I have many specific choices for pluggery based on experience and where I am and at what time of day, year and current conditions.

It is not that simple. (At least for me)

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to write. If I had to choose without more information, I'd pick a Polaris popper during the day and a needle at night.

ThrowingTimber
07-25-2008, 09:27 AM
anything that will cruise subsurface a bit. I find that if theyre feeding slightly subsurface and are intent or focused on one kind of bait a pencil will spook them. I feel that is because the pencil is doing the exact oppisite of what theyre eating. You know the what the hell is that thing type of reaction.

Now if I walk over the birm and theyre whaling bait on the surface, its a no brainer pencils.

ny murder machines (pencils) are a double edged sword, yeah they catch but if theyre large and skittish you got 1 cast over a decent fish.

baldwin
07-25-2008, 10:27 AM
I still have complete confidence in a pencil popper by day, but if fish are skittish, a YoZuri crystal minnow often takes the finicky ones.