View Full Version : Best fried clams in SoCo?

Jim in CT
07-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi guys -

New member here, been lurking awhile.

My wife and I will be in the Pt Judith area for a few days soon. Looking for some local recommendations for my favorite summertime meal, whole fried clam bellies (with an ice-cold beer on the side). I've tried a few places, and the best I've had was George's - the clams were very sweet and fried to perfection. I also thought the location and setting were awesome. I've also tried Champlain's, but found the clams not as good as George's, it was all batter and litle meat...

Any other recommendations?

Finlander
07-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Jim,

Try Capt. Jack's on the way to East Matunuck State Beach Succtash Rd, all the seafood very good and great looking deserts just ever have room for them. Good luck and enjoy.

STREETFIGHT
07-25-2008, 02:17 PM
aunt carries has brought her "A Game" to 2008- the crew she has on the deep friers this year is one of the best- but bring your own beer.

BillyBlanks
07-25-2008, 02:22 PM
God I love Aunt Carries......its the best. Iggy's is good too, try the clam cakes. They're pretty filling, I always leave that place stuffed. Man I miss URI.

slow eddie
07-25-2008, 03:19 PM
the twin willows on boston neck{1a} in narry. also in narry. a little more upscale, the mariner grill in mariner square. on 108.

MakoMike
07-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Jim's dock in Jerusalem, bring your own beer.

Salty
07-30-2008, 03:37 PM
I hear the littlle boat yard on the way to the breachway has the best, I haven't tried them myself, when I want fried clams I go north to Attleboro.

Brian L
07-30-2008, 04:22 PM
George's rocks. I don't know if you'll get anything better, but I'd agree with most of these guys here that all the places they've named will also have good clams.

Coast Guard house in Narragansett isn't too far away and it's just about the best place down there to have a beer. Clams are good, as are the rest of the apps. There'a big outdoor deck up top that overhangs the bay. You can literally jump in the water from up there.

Jim in CT
07-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, I'm putting together a list and a map for a little road trip.

There's somehting about a big plate of clam bellies, fried to perfection, with an ice-cold beer in a frosty mug, near the ocean where you can smell the salt air. One of the joys of summer!

RIROCKHOUND
07-31-2008, 07:28 AM
The best fried clams in SoCo aren't in Soco.

Check out Flo's in Newport. near first beach on the newport/middletown line

basswipe
07-31-2008, 08:38 AM
The best fried clams in SoCo aren't in Soco.

Check out Flo's in Newport. near first beach on the newport/middletown line

You must have an iron stomach.Both Flo's ain't what they used to be,especially the Island Park location.

RIROCKHOUND
07-31-2008, 09:07 AM
BW;
Havent actually been there in years.
Sad to hear it is downhill!!!

basswipe
07-31-2008, 04:42 PM
RIR what really sucks is that they used to really be the best.As a kid I used to walk down the street just for those clams.

mikrok
07-31-2008, 04:48 PM
my friend just moved down to narry and friends have been visiting him but i think they're visiting him mostly because of the coast guard house - i gotta get down there

Roger
08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I hear the littlle boat yard on the way to the breachway has the best, I haven't tried them myself, when I want fried clams I go north to Attleboro.

Where's that?

Brian L
08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Hanson's landing was also a phenomenal place to have a beer and eat unique seafood, though I believe it's under new ownership, so I'm not sure what they've got going on over there.

Brian L
08-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Anybody been to Surfin' Taco's in downtown Wakefield? He makes everything there (salsa, shells, etc..) even grows his own tomatoes. His fish tacos are absolutely the best I've ever had.

Nebe
08-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Anybody been to Surfin' Taco's in downtown Wakefield? He makes everything there (salsa, shells, etc..) even grows his own tomatoes. His fish tacos are absolutely the best I've ever had.

almost daily.. :btu: Im crazy for the pork soft tacos and the beef king tacos..

Nebe
08-01-2008, 09:12 PM

almost daily.. :btu: Im crazy for the pork soft tacos and the beef king tacos..
oh and I made their tip jar :hihi:

MakoMike
08-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Hanson's landing was also a phenomenal place to have a beer and eat unique seafood, though I believe it's under new ownership, so I'm not sure what they've got going on over there.

The old Hanson's Landing is under new management and it was not a turn for the better. Food is mediocre pub fare, but that back deck can still be fun on a Sunday afternoon.