View Full Version : Trying to keep it simple...some plug advice needed.

basswipe
07-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Well now I'm going to be camped at my dad's house until he's able to fully safe alone.

I will be very limited in my fishing and will be hitting just one spot which is a somewhat shallow protected area at the north end of Portsmouth. There's two decent rock piles extending from shore on either side of this spot and a nice patch of eel grass on the left one.Always lots of small bait around like silversides and peanuts later in the season.This spot produces a fair amount of schoolie bass with the occasional 28-32" thrown in and of course some blues too.

I'm keeping it to one setup,my Batson 1088 and StradicFI 8000 w/20lbBackcountry and 30 and 50lb leaders.Sticking with some basic Pt.Jude tins,an olive/white Salty's small popper,a few bombers and mambos, a white Hab's stubby needle and some storm shads.And a big pencil just in case.

What else do you guy's consider essential plugs for this type of fishing?

Nebe
07-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Id bring this....
A wooden casting egg with 18" of leader.. tie on a 3" pear storm shad or one of these on a 5/0 live bait hook-
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageSFWBERKLEY-BGM.html

The egg lets you do a painfully slow retrieve without worrying that you will hang up on bottom

numbskull
07-27-2008, 10:15 AM
medium Danny
Jointed eel
spook/howdy

DZ
07-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Basswipe,
Protected quiet water fishing. When I'm fishing up that way I use plugs 5 1/2 inches or smaller. Redfins, rebels, small poppers equipped with heavy duty trebles. 1/8 to 1/2 oz leadheads with small soft plastics such as finsfish, culytail grubs and stingray grubs. Light leaders to 20 lb test or tie direct. Trying to get bass to hit in the middle of millions of silversides can be an exercise in frustration. One thing I've found effective is to wait for a boil - then cast your offering into the boil and just let the plug sit.

DZ

spence
07-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Or get some eels and 3 ounce egg sinkers...toss them into that 3 kt rip just to your east :hihi:

-spence

basswipe
07-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys.At this point just getting out there will be a treat but it wouldn't hurt to do little catching either!

DZ,I may just eliminate the leader altogether provided no blues around. The only reason for the 50# leader was incase of bluefish.Out of habit I've always used the 30#.

And yes it can be a hair pulling experience when there's a ton of bait and you can see the fish and they just won't hit!

NIB
07-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I always throw a bomber..
I will work it many different ways.Usually I can get em to hit after a while. They also can't stand the enticing wiggle of a good topwater.Especially when on the peanuts..
Like a lefty.
Then there is also the reaction strike.A sluggo worked ala Steve McKenna will get hits.Extra spooky use a 7 1/2" size with just the front hook.When they are on rainfish I have done well with pink..I think part of the key to fishing a quite calm area is u have to be the hunter.Stealth in your approach and tactics.You are the Indian stalking the Great White buffalo..You have to be patient..Take your time. make no wake..make your cast's count.
You can spook em right out of there.

rwilhelm
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
For that type of fishing I would go with a cocahoe minnow or 4" storm shad. I would also use a smaller rod if you have one.

hyefisherman2
07-29-2008, 02:59 PM
6" sluggos on 1 oz jig heads ;)

Clogston29
07-29-2008, 03:05 PM
blurple bomber, yellow bomber, white or pink 7.5" sluggo, black 7.5" sluggo

all you really need in those conditions IMO

basswipe
07-29-2008, 03:27 PM
For that type of fishing I would go with a cocahoe minnow or 4" storm shad. I would also use a smaller rod if you have one.

Gotta keep it to one rod.My 1088 is the best to cover all situations,light enough that a fat schoolie is ok but big enough for that possible keepah bass or for that matter a decent blue.Plus a lot of structure beyond my intitial spot which includes about a half dozen docks.

Wish I could have all my gear with me but that just isn't going to happen.

basswipe
07-29-2008, 03:30 PM
blurple bomber, yellow bomber, white or pink 7.5" sluggo, black 7.5" sluggo

all you really need in those conditions IMO

Blurple and yellow bombers/mambos are staples in my bag.Along with a Po-Jee and olive/white small Salty's popper.

basswipe
07-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Anyways gonna try for a bit again tonight.

ThrowingTimber
07-29-2008, 04:23 PM
a few flies as teasers. ken abrames september night or a rays fly will match most small'ish bait fish. :lama:

basswipe
07-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Blurple A-Salt Bomber did it last evening.Three schoolies,all tight against the half dozen docks that now line the shoreline:hs:.