View Full Version : Gill net question

jmonte45
07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I was thinking of getting a gill net, not much luck with the cast net for me. My cast net is too small, and I figured instead of getting a bigger one, it just seems easier to use a gill. It is for netting pogies, any recommendations on size, brand, etc. Any advice on how to use is appreciated as well, it just seems to make sense as opposed to a cast net. I have no problem snagging them, but they just last so much longer if they are netted, plus I think I could get them easier in the dark, and be already fishing at first light. Thanks guys, I could use the help.

niko
07-31-2008, 04:32 AM
memphis net. i'll send a pm with some info

sokinwet
07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
+1 on Memphis Net & Twine. YMMV but I would recommend - approx. 3.25 inch mesh, 50 yd. x 8 to 10 ft. deep sinking net. You will need an inshore net permit. We pull the net often to keep the pogies alive.
2 nets is the hot setup if pogies are scattered.

jmonte45
07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
thanks niko, hey sokin, you mean 50 feet?

sokinwet
08-01-2008, 09:08 AM
50 ft. isn't very big...I would go a minimum of 100 ft. but I would also say it depends on the area you intend to net. If you're in tight in a mooring area a small net might do, but I think you'll be kicking yourself if you buy a 50 ft. "Bigger is better" when it comes to nets. :rolleyes: