View Full Version : Randall Made

wheresmy50
08-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Does anyone own one of these knives? I'm strongly considering one for hiking/camping use, but they're not cheap and there's a 58 month waiting list.

Allegedy that's because these are the best outdoor knives in the world and they'll last your lifetime. Just wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience.

Thanks

leptar
08-02-2008, 10:42 AM
What are you looking for in a knife?

IMHO Randall's are great knives but are more sought after as look at this purty knife... Awfully pricey.... www.Nor#^&#^&#^&#^&nives.com (http://www.Nor#^&#^&#^&#^&nives.com) your best bet without waiting 58 months... lol..

Take a look at www.bladeforums.com (http://www.bladeforums.com)

Look at what some of these guys put the knives thru...

Allot of variables to consider when looking at a knife...

Fieldablity = can you sharpen it in the field without having to bring a $400 tool?
Blade steel = from steel like soft stainless to rock hard steel so from dents to chips, to bending and breaking...
Dexterity= Is the handle comfortable and will it wear your wrist/hand down...

Busse, SwampRat, Simonich, Chris Reeve, SOG, BenchMade, Spyderco...

A knife a few people are raving about is the K9 Dingo, well made and perfectly balanced..

Had to do it to ya... when i first got into knives i thought the same thing... Big $$$ doesn't always mean better product, especially when it comes to knives...

FYI longest i ever had to wait for a custom knive made in the USA is 3 weeks start to finish and i paid $200 for 9" overall 4.25" blade of SV30 steel...

And i can batton with it and make wood chucks gawk in awe...

Another site to look at on what not to do with your knife...
http://www.knifetests.com/

What ever you do decide buy from a reputable dealer... because saving $20-$50 might mean buying a Chinese knock off... Another thing to think about when spending $$$$ on high end knives... there are more knock off's out there then there are of the original...

good luck,
Paul

nautibuoys
08-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I have a Randall #5 Brad Angier model (black micarta handle, compass, ss blade). Best knife I've ever had or used; balance, looks, blade sharpness is 2nd to none. Have owned many a knide but this is favorite and its been all over the world hunting. When I had it made, it was a 10 month wait (27+ years ago). Paid $105, now they go $600+. Wish I bought a 100 of 'em...

Slammer223
08-02-2008, 01:19 PM
To me a Randall is a collector's piece.It sounds like you want a using knife,a tool in other words.You should follow Paul's advice and check out bladeforums.I have learned a lot from forums like that.And I do carry a Chris Reeve Sebenza on a daily basis,so I'm not afraid to actually use a very nice and costly knife.

Slammer223
08-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I was looking at a bunch of knife sites today.Look at Bark River and Fallkniven.They might suit your needs for a camp knife.

Swede
08-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I have had a Randall model 5 camp and trail knife w/a 5" blade for 12 years.
It is a beautifull knife, but it is not for show. Its very well made, holds a razor sharp edge and will still be in service 50 years from now.
I carry it often and for 325.00 You can't get a better knife!!
Go for it! You will not regret Your purchase!
A great all around knife...

wheresmy50
08-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the responses. I've always used Buck and more recently Benchmade. This knife would be used, not displayed. I'm impressed by the reviews and the company history. Plus they're made in America. I appreciate Paul's argument about other brands. Maybe I'll pick up one of those in the mean time.

Due to the wait, I think I am giong to pull the trigger. After all, I have 5 years to save for it.

In case you're interested, I think I'm going with the #5, 6" tool steel.

Thom
08-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Take a look at some of Knife site that sell both used and new you might be able to find what you are looking for. My pick for a knife that I would bet my life on would be the Randall but for just everyday camping and fishing the otheres that were mentioned are great to very great knifes for a less money. ThomT