View Full Version : NY man killed by lead sinker

Swimmer
08-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Melville, N.Y. A man fishing off Long Island is dead after a three ounce lead fishing weight attached to his pole struck him in the face and dug into h is brain.
Relatives and a physician say Roosevelt resident Jaime Chicas died tuesday from severe head trauma and herniation. Relatives say the 21 year old was fishing with his brother-in-law and cousin at Jones Beach when the accident happened.

This was in the Saturday/weekend Ledger.

Actually it was in the Patriot Ledger July 30th.

afterhours
08-03-2008, 12:11 PM
sinkers don't kill people- people kill people.....

BillM
08-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Now that is a sucky way to go. If I ever get killed like that I hope somebody will be good enough to stage a more dramatic accident and keep the truth to themselves. Say I was surrounded by dorsal fins and I was waving my knife when I lost my footing...

Mr. Krinkle
08-03-2008, 02:03 PM
I read the whole article and it said that his sinker was likely stuck in the rocks on the jetty and he started yanking on it and it released and hit him in the eye socket. Supposedly his brother turned around and saw him face down on on the jetty growning. UGH

Swimmer
08-03-2008, 02:31 PM

Thats it, a sinker license is the next thing we'll have to face. Safety classes before your allowed to buy lead weights, or jigs.

piemma
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
...and now another good reason not to chunk...

Backbeach Jake
08-03-2008, 04:16 PM
My wife's Uncle Bill was smacked between the eyes by a four oz pyramid. Knocked him on his arse and opened up his noggin. Doc lost count of the stitches.
Dark night, heavy fish. When the fish hit the sand the hook came out and bang! He said that he thought someone shot him from a boat. He drove from Truro to Bolton to his doctor with one hand on the wheel and the other holding his nose on. My brother in law mounted the weight on a plaque as an award.
Shame the kid was killed .

The Iceman 6
08-03-2008, 05:00 PM

LMAO, although it's really not funny. RIP (again)

Squid kids Dad
08-03-2008, 05:16 PM
OUCH...

ivanputski
08-03-2008, 05:41 PM
*side note.....Some sort of eye-protection is MANDATORY for me while snagging bunker... Ive had a snag hook graze the edge of my face and ear once while frantically snagging at night from shore...

Diggin Jiggin
08-03-2008, 06:53 PM
The scary thing to me is how easy this would be to do in the canal with a jig head and the heavy gear we use... I've had jigs shoot past me over my shoulder twice already, same place, large fish both times.

One of the spots I fish has a back eddy coming off a rockpile, outside of the rockpile water flows one direction, inside it flows the other. It does this for atleast 50 yards, running parallel to shore maybe 15 -20 yards from shore.

Sometime a really good fish stays down, and you need to lift them over the edge. When a fish gets in the back eddy, all of a sudden its going much faster as its going with the current, and as it gets past you the jig head can turn and it can come unhooked while you are leaning back trying to lift it off the bottom.

numbskull
08-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I read the whole article and it said that his sinker was likely stuck in the rocks on the jetty and he started yanking on it and it released and hit him in...... UGH

I think NIB killed a big jig the same way.

MAC
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM
I think NIB killed a big jig the same way.

I think it was last year. Quite a goose egg if I remember right.

Uncle Matt
08-03-2008, 07:44 PM
That's it. Now I'm definately brining my girlfriend fishing with me. Right after I wedge a few pyramids in the rocks!