View Full Version : Captain Don Parker - RIP

Hooper
08-05-2008, 05:17 AM
I thought some of you might know Captain Don Parker. He was a fixture in Sesuit Harbor in East Dennis for as long as I have been alive, but much longer than that.

For more than 30 years he owned and operated the "Prime Rate" charter service and I had the honor of working as his mate for a number of summers as a teenager, as many young guys did.

As former Marine and Deputy Sherriff wit the Barnstable Country Sherriff's Office, he could be rough on you sometimes, but the day would always end with a grandfatherly hug and him saying"Good work today, buddy."

He took thousands of people fishing each season and entertained them like very few skippers could do. I used to say that the fishing on the Prime Rate was only half the show, Donald's jokes, laughter and storytelling were the real reason his customers booked him each year. His client base is enermous for this reason. I will miss him.

If anyone is interested, his memorial service is today, 4-7pm at Hallett's Funeral Home on Station Ave. South Yarmouth, Mass.

BigFish
08-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Condolences Hooper on the loss of your friend. Sounds as if he led a wonderful life. RIP.

big jay
08-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Don will definately be missed.
He and my Dad were close friends and when my dad first started chartering he really went out of his way to help out.
When I started running trips on my own, Don would call me on the cell so as not to embarrass me on the radio, and check in on me and make sure that i was on fish and catching and see If I needed any help. Really looked out for me.

Great Captain and great guy, Billingsgate will be a little empty without him.

Hooper
08-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Condolences Hooper on the loss of your friend. Sounds as if he led a wonderful life. RIP.

Thanks BF, he did have a great life.

I waited in live almost 2 hours to pay my respects only to not be able and say a word when I finally hugged his wife. We should all be so lucky to have a two hour wait when it is finally our time!

JohnR
08-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Fair winds and Following seas Captain.

Hooper
08-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Don will definately be missed.
He and my Dad were close friends and when my dad first started chartering he really went out of his way to help out.
When I started running trips on my own, Don would call me on the cell so as not to embarrass me on the radio, and check in on me and make sure that i was on fish and catching and see If I needed any help. Really looked out for me.

Great Captain and great guy, Billingsgate will be a little empty without him.

Jay, I know he and your dad were tight, he mentioned him often. I had to laugh when you wrote about calling you to make sure you were getting fish, he was that kind of guy.

Funny story, last year he a needed me to run the boat for him. A mutual friend was the mate, we are both mostly Nantucket Sound guys, but he didn't hold it against us. Anyways, we had a great bass trip, but we didn't get on the radio and call in the fleet to ruin our fishing.

When he met us at the dock and we unloaded all those bass he naturally asked how the rest of the fleet did. Well, we told him they didn't do so well and laughed to ourselves.

Capt. Parker went into a good natured rant about how us "southsiders" are nothing but a bunch of "lone wolves" who wouldn't call you to let you know if you boat was on fire.

I still laugh when I think about that.

Spinner
08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Don was certainly an icon within the fishing ranks at Sesuit. I spent most of my childhood summers as a deckhand bouncing between the Albatross and the Prime Rate. Was great to see some old friendly faces at the service yesterday. Nice to see Sue surrounded by so many loving friends and family.

Don, thanks for the memories...!

Hooper
08-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Don was certainly an icon within the fishing ranks at Sesuit. I spent most of my childhood summers as a deckhand bouncing between the Albatross and the Prime Rate. Was great to see some old friendly faces at the service yesterday. Nice to see Sue surrounded by so many loving friends and family.

Don, thanks for the memories...!

I remember you Spinner, you and Liam and Sean and David, we had some fun as kids.

Skitterpop
08-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Nice post Hooper. I`m sorry for your loss and its nice you celebrate his life and accomplishments.

My condolences to his family and friends.

ProfessorM
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Sorry for your loss guys. Condolences to the family