View Full Version : All nighters

Circlehook
08-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Do you stay out all night fishing, then try to catch a couple hours sleep in the morning before work? Or, try to sleep for a few afterwork and then fish the wee hours into dawn and go directly to work?

Do you try to time which tides you will fish around your sleep schedule, or do you base your sleep around your tides?

I am trying to make it back in, in time to grab about 4 hrs sleep, but it ain't working so well. I am gonna switch it up next week to sleep afterwork and the go to work from fishing.

Jon

Back Beach
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Usually try for the midnight to 4am shift if possible. Its the least disruptive to my life.Will usually wait for the tides/spots to become favorable to me during that time window. Obviously it doesn't always work. Last night was a good example. Probably could have found fish someplace but choice#1 wasn't viable so I just went back to sleep.:sleeps:

RIROCKHOUND
08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Rarely do all nighters anymore.

Prefer 9p-12a.

Fish around the tide/weather as best I can

ivanputski
08-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Depends what im doing the next day, but my trips are usually extended if the fish are cooperating. I usually fish as often as I can, and will never stay home due to the tide being wrong... my theory is, I have a better chance at a fish if Im standing on a rock than if im sitting on the couch...

Joe
08-06-2008, 03:14 PM
If you are fishing breachways or rivers where the last of the outgoing is prime - then it's more tide-dependent than time. But open beaches, points, cliffs, rocky shores, sand bars - are often very good on both the incoming and the outgoing so there is flexibility.
In the summer the fishing can be good in the deep night - that's got a lot to do with the short nights. There might only be five or six hours of true darkness - sunset lingers and gray dawn arrives very early.
But as the fall progresses and the nights shortend I always found that the first few hours after dark were better than the hours between midnite and four.
All-nighters will frig you up after a while. I developed this crazy dyslexia from staying out all night - I would do things at work backwards. You'll do better all-around to pick the best time at a spot and be there well-rested, and with a job, so you can still buy eels.

JohnR
08-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Will try to be in by 1AM. I can't function on less than 5 hours and seeing I bill customers by the hour I can't pull an all-nighter and honestly give my client the best work for their money. Having said that, I got home Monday morning, at 1 am, son was sick and up enough that I only got 2.5 hours of sleep and I was able to put in a good day. Maybe, just maybe I can add an hour or two onto my drop dead time :hihi:

'Course, blitzes will automatically take priority over sleep.

Brother Brian
08-06-2008, 04:35 PM
What works best is sleep 3-4 hours, be fishing by 10-midnight, fish until the sun comes up and go to work. But I don't always go with what works best :angel:

bloocrab
08-07-2008, 12:14 AM
First off, you should never plan an all-nighter when you have to work the next morning . . .your asking for it if you do - > :eyes:

Now if it's the fish-catching that's unexpectantly going to cause this all-nighter to happen, then fish as long as you can and suffer the consequences. I think each person has their own threshold as to what type of catching justifies how long they stay out. Example, if I'm into non-stop action of schoolie >> barely legal size bass, I'm not pulling an all-nighter:hs: . If I'm into 36" + fish, (with steady action), I'm riding it out until I feel they've moved on or until I think it's over. There are lots of different variables to consider, is it the end of the work week?/do you plan on keeping this job very long?/is this your 3rd all-nighter this week?/how many boxes of NO-DOZE can you smuggle into work and will it be detected ?/Can you pretend to look for that report all day................and just never find it? :huh:

Personally, during the work-week, I prefer the hours between 9:00pm - 2:00am. Assuming you're a responsible adult, you CAN'T always play the tide. Life has a way of dictating which tide you'll be able to fish. My job requires that I work different shifts, opening up different opportunities for me. As far as fishing in the morning before work ? Experience has taught me that I SHOULD not fish for a few hours before work. #1. Travel time to and from spot X adds to the total time, which I normally don't tally in. #2. An hour after sunrise could easily produce breaking fish and that's normally the time that I should be heading home/shower/work and could be the cause of a very LONG and frustrating day as I day dream about the fish I had to leave breaking. #3. I find that I'm much more tired if I get up to fish real early and work all day as opposed to fishing late in the night and getting a few of sleep and working all day.

In reality, you have to do what you intially posted. Find out what works best for you. Your body will tell you what's best. It's up to you whether or not you listen to it.

p.s. All - Nighters are over-rated. They're mostly good if you have the next day off, and you plan on moving around to find what you're looking for. To pull an All-Nighter and just set up camp hoping the fish will find you........is.....:yawn:
Unless you're with a group of friends, and your real intent isn't on catching fish. :cheers2:...but on telling stories and having some fun, and maybe catching a sand-shark or 2. There's truth in this post somewhere, God only knows if I know where it is....:cool: