View Full Version : Relocating from FL

kenP
11-12-2002, 02:12 PM
I will be relocating from Tampa to the Boston area and was wondering what type of boats you guys fish from. I will most likely fish river mouths and near shore for strippers and bluefish with my wife and kid. I currently fish the flats from a 15' Key West but I know this boat does not have the freeboard to handle the seas up north. I need to tow so I dont want anything over 19'. Target price $25K.

PS I am memeber of the FL Sportsman forum and have to say you guys have a nice web site!

JohnR
11-12-2002, 02:40 PM
Ken - welcome to Striped-Bass and welcome to Bahstin - what will you be doing up here?

Are you looking for an open center console, dual console or something like a small walkaround for the family?

Me, I will be in the hunt for an old 23 SeaCraft which I'll probably need to go to Tampa to get :eek5: ... But towable boats that I'm fond of and good for fishing - I like the Seaswirl 21 Dual Console which would be excellent for the Harbor & a family but slightly bigger and slightly more money than you're talking (not much tough) and a 21 is definately better than an 18 for the harbor.

Do you know where around Boston you'll be moving too? Towing can be rough depending on where you are and we probably have far fewer ramp facilites per boat thanwhat you are accustomed to. That being said, your still probably better off dealing with towing a 21 footer if you can than a 19 just because the extra size DOES matter here. Very confused seas up here from all the boat traffic confined in a relatively small area.

Oh, one more thing, it would definitely be cheaper to buy a new boat down your way and bring it up (or have the factory ship it) then to by it here. We are so fortunate up here to pay an extra 15-25% on everything marine related compared to you unlucky Florida guys & gals :rolleyes:

I like the FS forums too, I don't head in too often but there are some funny threads there - tons of info too...

Again - welcome.

kenP
11-12-2002, 04:12 PM
John,

Thanks for the reply. I will be living in either nothern MA or southern NH (Im still getting over sticker shock at Boston housing prices!). My family is more into fishing than boating so a CC works for us. You brought up a point I had not considered and that is ramps. Are there enough for weekends or do they fill up by 7am? In FL it is not something you worry to much about. You also got me thinking if 19' is enough boat. More research required. You ever fish the west central coast of FL?

JohnR
11-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Ken - Move SOUTH of Boston, the weather is better with less cold and less snow (of course, unless your job is north of Boston) and the good fishing season can be as much as a month longer (it's almost 2 months longer in Rhode Island than in northern Mass/southern NH...

Ten years ago I had an 19' SeaRay that I had slipped in Quincy. It was a little too small for the harbor - I would highly recommend starting at 20' and moving up from there.

Personally, I now live in Rhody but work downtown Boston - commute is 90 minutes plus each way and it got old after the first week and near miserable since. But the housing prices are incredible when compared to those around Boston. The typical 3-4 bedroom house in my mother's neighborhood in Dedham (just sw of Boston) are fetching high 400K - low 500K. The same house in OK areas of Rhode Island is almost HALF of that and in some cases less than half...

The problem with the ramps goes away with the best fishing, which is first light. The worst of the boaters typically don't come out until 11am so you are just dealing with that when you haul. Evenings into night are also excellent fishing and most of the yahoos are off the water then. One thing to consider is that there is little ramp access immediately around Boston. It gets better north and south of the city. Here is a link to the states public ramps:

http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/pab/pab_toc.htm#PABsites

Never fished west/central FLA but I've had more than a few Rum drinks down there in my "youth" :cool:

fishsmith
11-12-2002, 09:19 PM
Hi Ken, Welcome, my folks are in N. Redington Beach, my memory of fishing down there was getting the worst sting of my life from one of the catfish in the intercoastal.
You might want to keep the boat you've got, theres plenty of fishy spots you can get too, plus it'll be easier learning the area towing the little boat around.

John,
Did you see this on THT?

23' seacraft for sale in Plymouth Ma. It is an 85 hull restored in 2001 with a 1997 Mercruiser 5.7 EFI. Chart Plotter, Furuno 667 Color sounder, VHF, CD ,T-top, all new in 2001 all new paint and hatches. 180 gallon fuel tank. galv traier.unbelievable boat. 400hrs. Professionally restored at Metan Marine Restoration. $25000 508 269 5452 will email pictures epontiff1@babson.edu

JohnR
11-12-2002, 11:06 PM
Hey Fishsmith...

Yep - this is it: http://www.bostonboating.com/metanmarine/restorations/85seacraft.htm

Still more than what I'm willing to pay...

fishsmith
11-13-2002, 08:05 AM
I've launched next to that boat in Plymouth. Looks like he's done a good restore job.

11-13-2002, 08:24 AM
kenP,
Welcome to the area, you will find fishing really good here may-nov. You mentioned you are looking for a bay / coastline fishing. I'd like to suggest the Scout 185. I think it would be perfect for what you are trying to do, and you can get it setup very nicely for under $25K.....A good quality boat!

Van
11-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Ken:

Question for ya..

I going to Tampa week after next.
I want to take at least one fishing charter w/ my son.

Any suggestions on boats,,, party or private ?
What kind of fish are around in Nov.???

Any info would be great,

Thanks and Welcome to S-B.
You will find great members here.

kenP
11-13-2002, 09:57 AM
Van,

Depending on the cold fronts Nov is a great month to fish down here. Right now the big draw is the fall Kingfish run. These are basically big mackeral in the 15-40lb range that are heading to the Keys for winter. The grouper bite is also good as the fish have moved into the shallow water (50 mile runs are no longer required). If flats fishing is your thing the redfish and trout action is still good while the snook bite is starting to slow as the water temp drops. Tell me what type of fishing you are interested in and maybe I can recommend a guide.
Tight lines

Van
11-13-2002, 10:44 AM
I have been kingfishing before, that was a blast.
We had gone out from Madiera area.
Maybe we can get on a boat with some other people and keep
the cost down a bit. (that's what I did when I went kingfishing last time).

A flats trip might be good, but would it be expensive if
it's just the two of us chartering the boat?

I want to have good action to keep my son from getting bored.
is Grouper a deep sea type charter?

Thanks, I will return the favor some Bass/Blue season around here. I fish mainly the boston outer islands. Did really well this past season.

I do suggest a hefty boat (deep V hull) if you want to get to some of the hot spots outside the harbor. Not just the rough seas, but 40-50 footers screaming past at WOT create quite a bit of turbulence. Weekends can be INSANE in mid summer !!!!!

I have been towing my 21' for years. Although I now am finally in the water all season.

fishsmith
11-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Hey Ken,
I just got this email today, there's about 100 versions of it going around, but it's a good quick Boston 101.

TO ALL YOU 'OL BOSTONIANS ~ you're gonna love this !!!! ...... and to new Bostonians ........

Going to college in Boston? "Mary-mutha-ah-gawd, you gotta be wicked smaht!"

But we bet you don't know some things. Like, what's a three decka?
A packie?
How about a rotary?
Ever banged a U-ey?
Worn dungarees or
ordered a frappe?
Even a Rhodes scholar would have a tough time
deciphering the language Boston calls its own.
"New Englanders have had a long and strong tradition of eccentric ways of expressing themselves, especially in Boston," said Boston University Linguistics professor
Michael Feldman. "It's very distinctive."
Indeed ~ and we'd have a pissah time tryin' to stump ya, then make fun of ya behind ya back . . . but that's wicked mean. Instead, here's a little primer to take with you on the T,
while you're on the Common or in the Gahden, maybe catchin' a Pats game or sipping a regulah coffee at Dunkies.

American Chop Suey ~ Found in school cafeterias, this delightful
dish doesn't resemble anything American or Chinese. It's
macaroni with meat and tomato sauce.

Bangin' a U-ey ~ This is what you do while driving after you
miss a turn and you have to turn around.

Book it ~ To high tail someplace, as in, "I better book it to
Stah Mahket before it closes."

Bubblah ~ Spelled bubbler, it's a water fountain.

Der ~ An interjection indicating disdain for someone else's
stupidity, as in, "The old Gahden was way betta than the Fleet!
Der!"

Down Cella ~ The basement. As in; "run down cella and get me a
dishtowel outta the drya." Derived from upstairs.

Dungarees ~ Jeans. Hardly heard anymore, unless you're at some sort of senior citizens event.

Frappe ~ What the rest of the nation calls a milkshake. But in
Boston, a milkshake is just flavored milk; no ice cream allowed.

Fried and Bizaah ~ Weird. "That dude is wicked fried." "Yah,
he's totally bizaah."

Fudge-icle ~ To the rest of the world, a frozen chocolate pop
is a Fudgesicle, but in Boston, the 's' is silent.

Hermits and black and whites ~ Cookies. A hermit is a molasses
and raisin bar. Black and whites, known anywhere else as half
moons or half and halfs, are round, cakelike cookies with
chocolate frosting on one half, vanilla on the other.

Jimmies ~ Sprinkles you put on ice cream.

Packie ~ Liquor Store. You'll have to make a packie run if you
want a kegga (keg party.)

Pissah ~ Good.

Rotary ~ traffic circle. And in Massachusetts, those in the
rotary have the right of way.

Scrod ~ a generic name for white fish. We think it's cod, but
no one's sure. Usually breaded and laden with butter.

So Don't I / So Aren't I ~ So do I, So am I. "I have tickets to
Aerosmith tonight." "Oh my Gawd, so don't I!" "No Suh!" "Yah
huh."
"Wicked Pissa!"

Three Decker ~ Pronounced three decka, it's a three story house
in which each story is a separate apartment.

A time ~ A party. "We're going to a time for Sully at
McGuire's."

Tonic ~ Soda.

Wicked ~ Extremely. "Nomaaah's a wicked good baseball playa."

Yah huh and no suh ~ Yes and no. Usually heard during an
intense conversation. "I saw Mickey at Castle Island and he
was with another girl." "No SUH!" "Yah huh."

Other tips: Don't say COPEly Square, it's COPley.
Worcester isn't WOOster, it's Wisstah.
Say Commonwealth Avenue, Massachusetts
Avenue or Dorchester Avenue and you'll get
pinched. It's Comm. Ave, Mass. Ave and
Dot. Ave.

BOSTONIANS!!! . . . . ya gotta love us : )

JohnR
11-13-2002, 02:16 PM
Wicked Pissa! That wuz freakin' awesome. Moastuh doze e-mails are bogus but that one thwhacked the nail on the freakin' head ;)

Err,, :hihi: :doh: , that was pretty good but I expeted to see something about the B's, pot holes, Kelly's, & chowda

Van
11-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Youz Guyz Gaht Wicked Latsa Smartz......;)

kenP
11-13-2002, 04:11 PM
Fishsmith hopefully the fish act the same because I wont understand a word if i ask for suggestions. Also 179 I am going to check out the Scout. They are very popular down here - two of my neighbors have the 177 and that is a quality fishing machine.

Clammer
11-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Yhe only one that got me was Hermit//////////////

JohnR
11-13-2002, 05:22 PM
'Course you don't know what a Hermit is, yer from Rho Dyslund!

Now, I remember getting Hermits & Toasties when I was a kid. Evertime we went to Nana's Three Decka in JP :p

GBOUTDOORS
11-13-2002, 06:53 PM
Welcome aboard Ken. I have the 21' seaswirl that John is talking about and love it for inshore and off. I trailer it and have no trouble pulling it with a Chevy 6cyl 2wd 1500. I think if you want a good family and fishing boat for up here you should go with something 21' to be able to get the most use in the southeastern Mass. area. As has been stated its not just the wind but also the wakes that you need to think about, also once in the area you will want to take day trips to Cuttyhunk and Mv islands and for this a 21 fits just right. Feel free to ask for help once in the area as there are lots of great people on this site that will be more than happy to help out getting going, you can count me as one of those to call for help. GB

Clammer
11-13-2002, 07:17 PM
OK guys once mine comes in & I get it the way I want it ,there is going to be some seroius fish caught in her, ////

why no takers on the tug ????????????????????

Duke41
11-14-2002, 08:55 AM
In Rhody we don't drink frappes of milkshakes, we sip cabinets.

JohnR
11-14-2002, 09:11 AM
Ken - Clamdigger has a nice new one coming in to, the Seahunt 21 Center console. Another good boat to consider for the local waters...

Yeh - keep forgetting about "cabinets" that's why I'm still a Mass at heart :p

gf2020
11-14-2002, 08:28 PM
Ken:

Northern MA & Southern NH still covers a lot of territory. Narrow it down some more, where will you be working? I live in the Newburyport area, 35 miles north of Boston on the coast. Prices are what they are, don't know what you plan on spending but I hope you make some good coin.

The towns way south of Boston, say 30+ miles, are less expensive than the towns to the north of the city. Some southern New Hampshire towns (Windham & South Hampton, for example) are just as expensive as anything in MA and NH has (generally) much higher proprty taxes, but no state income tax (if you work in NH) and no state sales tax.

There are several decent ramps north of Boston and plenty of people are tooling around in 17'-20' boats. My first boat was a 16'8" center console that I used exclusively off the coast of Lynn and Salem, MA. Depending on how much you think you will get out a 17' boat may be fine. Plenty of guys are fishing Boston Harbor in 16' and 18' Lund Alaskan aluminum boats. In fact, the 17' boat you already have may be just fine. Believe it or not there is great flats fishing in the estuaries and marshes that dot the MA coast. There is a Hewes dealer on the South Shore and until last year there was an Action Craft dealer on the North Shore.

Give us some more information and we can make some more recommendations.

Clammer
11-14-2002, 09:47 PM
COFFEE MILK

Scotch Bonnet
11-14-2002, 10:02 PM
Ken, check out the Dusky 20' @ www.dusky.com . Its in your price range, trailerable and will handle these waters.

kenP
11-19-2002, 09:56 AM
GF2020,

We are most likely looking at Pelham, NH or Tyngsboro, MA. I have heard that fishing the marshes is somewhat similar to fishing mangroves in that you fish points and other sections that tunnel the tides. I am looking forward to giving it a shot. What is your fishing season near Salem/Lynn? BTW my current boat is only 15' not 17' so that is why I am looking to upgrade.

Megabyte
11-19-2002, 10:45 PM
The OFFICIAL state drink(s) !

Cabinet pronounced "cabnit"

Coffee milk = Official State Drink

Coffee Cabinet = WOW !

gf2020
11-20-2002, 10:35 AM
A guy I work with just moved to Pelham, NH from Haverhill, MA and another friend of mine lives in Westford, MA, adjacent to Tyngsborough. I'm not too familiar with the housing markets in those communities but I am sure they are quite expensive by Florida standards.

Fishing on the North Shore generally begins in May with mackerel and then striped bass. 50 degrees is the magic number, once the water temperatures climb above that point the fish start coming North. By late June bluefish are making an appearance and then the season is pretty good all the way until early October.

The season south of Boston and in Rhode Island generally starts a couple of weeks earlier and lasts about a month longer. Of course, with a 17'-20' boat on a trailer you can chase the fish.

JohnR
11-20-2002, 10:58 AM
I agree - RI this year had the first fresh run school bass (under 4 pounds but typically under 2#s) at the end of March beginning of April. Trayder & I got our first larger keeper bass at 22-24 pounds on live herring the first week of May which was a little early.

By boat, you can still get good keeper bass and have a shot at a cow (over 40 pounds) within a 12 mile run of the shoreline to Islands like Block/Fishers/Cutty (that's a hard 12 miles :eek5: ) or over to the north end of LI - Montauk

Of course, now you have good codfishing from Plymouth to Cape Ann and north right now :)